• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Yellow NES

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Recently got a translated repro cart of Pokemon Yellow for the Famicom off eBay. It's originally a Chinese pirate game that came out sometime after FRLG and features remixed content from Gens 1, 2, & 3. Considering it's a pirate game it's quality is surprisingly good, and pushes the system to it's limits like most late NES games.

Differences:
  • There are 159 Pokemon in the game. With the Legendary Beasts, Ho-oh, Lugia, and the Weather Trio being extras in the post-game along Mewtwo & Mew.
  • Post-game Elite 4 have level boosts.
  • Trade Pokemon all evolve at Lvl 40.
  • Evolution Stone Pokemon have expanded movesets.
  • Certain Pokemon are one time only wild encounters. Ex. Moltres in Cinnabar Mansion.
  • In-game trade only Pokemon are now Wild. Ex. Jynx in Seafoam Islands.
  • Pikachu doesn't follow you, but is able to evolve. Is the only way to get Raichu.
  • Capture rates are lower.
  • Story is based on Gen 1.
  • Sprites are a mix of Gen 2 & Gen 3.
  • Menus are based off of the Super Gameboy exclusive content.
  • Movesets are mostly based on Gen 2, and TMs mostly based on Gen 3. So Gen 3 moves exist.
  • The battle system is based on Gen 2 and it's type chart, with no gender/hold items. Also the Special split.
  • Pokemon can evolve in-battle now like the anime.
  • Damage & EXP gain is lower so the game is harder overall, as is the $ you get from beating Trainers.
  • Less text/animations/effects so battles are much faster like most online simulators.
  • Certain secondary effects on moves may not work. Ex. Quick Attack's priority.
  • Wild Pokemon can drop items including TMs.
  • Running from Wild Battles always works.
  • HMs have their own separate menu and don't need to be taught to be used in the overworld.
  • Overworld areas have been remixed.
  • Music is based off of Ruby/Sapphire. It doesn't sound good at all...

A translation patch came out late last year fixing the music and EXP gain however, and features an extra few battles with the translators/Professor Oak. Note: Don't post links to emulators/roms/patches on SWF.

For fun I'd thought I'd just chart down the various differences I notice while I blind run it. Since this game is available through emulators, this might be something for people to check out given the VC re-release/looking for something different/passing the time until Sun/Moon.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
  • Can't get a Potion in your room.
  • Nurse Joy has the options: Heal or Leave. There are two PCs on each floor of the center (multiplayer?).
  • Pokemart worker on Route 1 won't give you a Potion.
  • PokeMarts are run by female clerk. You can buy items before you get the Pokedex.
  • Daisy Oak uses the Female Trainer sprite from FRLG.
  • You can fight Green on Route 21 before receiving the Pokedex, his Spearow knows Smokescreen.
  • You don't get Pokeballs from Oak.
  • There's no capture demonstration in Viridian.
  • There's a House in Pewter City that's placed next to trees making it inaccessible. lol
  • Brock now also has a Lvl 10 Zubat & Vulpix, most likely added to the patch. He gives you TM 35 (Harden).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would anyone teach their pokemon harden?

It's like, a joke for metapod and kakuna

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't really think it's been that much of a problem past gen 1

with the move deleter and the move relearner, plus infinite use TM's.

Gen 1, when a pokemon learned an HM that was IT! The pokemon could never have anything else! They can't be traded or anything

Maybe if HM moves didn't suck it wouldn't really matter. Except surf and waterfall

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

• Flinching exists (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was around until Gen 3?)
  • Meowth has a speaking line like the anime. Maybe just the translation though.
  • You get a Moon Stone for clearing the Nugget Bridge...
  • Can fight the Rocket with the Dig TM before beating Misty. Regardless you don't receive the TM. This also means you can get to Vermillion early as well.
  • I got TM26 (Earthquake) upon beating Misty, but she then gave me TM11 (Bubblebeam) like she normally does. Trainers have pick ups as well?
  • There is no Daycare in this game.
I'm taking pictures from an non-fully translated copy BTW. Will probably use my own TV for post game stuff. Just read you receive Mew by collecting 150 + Legendary Beasts, and the Weather Trio might not be catchable, only fightable in an extra battle against Brendan unless another patch is released (-_-).

Also seems on Route 1 you can catch wild Lugia, though that's another patch change put in by the translator. Never ran into one myself.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

• Flinching exists (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was around until Gen 3?)
  • Meowth has a speaking line like the anime. Maybe just the translation though.
  • You get a Moon Stone for clearing the Nugget Bridge...
  • Can fight the Rocket with the Dig TM before beating Misty. Regardless you don't receive the TM. This also means you can get to Vermillion early as well.
  • I got TM26 (Earthquake) upon beating Misty, but she then gave me TM11 (Bubblebeam) like she normally does. Trainers have pick ups as well?
  • There is no Daycare in this game.
I'm taking pictures from an non-fully translated copy BTW. Will probably use my own TV for post game stuff. Just read you receive Mew by collecting 150 + Legendary Beasts, and the Weather Trio might not be catchable, only fightable in an extra battle against Brendan unless another patch is released (-_-).

Also seems on Route 1 you can catch wild Lugia, though that's another patch change put in by the translator. Never ran into one myself.
Moves could flich in gen 1.

Bite, for example

Edit: also to fight the dig guy you just need to talk to Bill in gen 1 not beat misty. You can entirely skip her...except I think she's needed for cut to work...?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My mistake then. I did beat the Dig TR member before Bill though, so you can still access Vermilion early.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kind of got side tracked from updating this thread. So far I've made it to Cinnabar Island.

• HM5 (Flash) you get from Oak's Aide in the house near the Diglett's Cave Pewter City exit, there is no Pokedex requirement.
  • The 3rd Gym isn't blocked by a Tree, but a man will instead block it until you clear the SS Anne.
  • Vermillion Gym still has the trash can puzzle, and it's just as annoying as ever.
  • LT Surge is the first trainer I've seen to use a healing item mid-battle. His Raichu is at Lvl 30, Thunderbolt hits HARD! You get TM24 (Thunderbolt) from him.
  • You don't get a Bike in this game.
  • You can get Bulbasaur in Cerulean City after beating LT Surge unlike in Yellow.
  • There's a 2x4 section of Route 11's Grass that has an invisible wall. lol
  • Discovered Confusion can override status effects, and you cannot switch out to heal it.
  • Clicking on a Tree and using HM Cut at will feels amazing.
  • Nidoqueen can be caught on Route 9.
  • Dark Tunnel was lit up when I entered. Not sure what happens without HM Flash.
  • You don't run into Ghosts in Pokemon Tower if you don't have the Sliph Scope, instead a voice just tells you to leave before you can enter the floors with trainers/wild encounters.
  • Snorlax right of Vermillion doesn't block you from accessing Fuchsia City early, just be careful of rising Trainer levels.
  • It seems Routes 16/17/18 have been cut completely, as there is no western entrance/exit from Fuchsia/Celadon Cities, nor do they appear on the town map in hindsight.
  • Mr. Mime/Farfetch'd are on Route 8.
  • The Game Corner doesn't have mini-games to play nor prizes to collect despite the building for the later being there.
  • There is a building in Celedon that on a single floor you meet trainers reusing Brendan's sprite from RSE and trainers who give you HM2 (Fly) and Eevee. Gift Pokemon do get automatically sent to your box if you have a full party.
  • There is no department or even Pokemart in Celedon. There is a lady who will give you Lemonade which is now an unusable key item for the guards in Saffron City.
  • Erika doesn't give you a TM upon her defeat.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's cycling road, right?

I guess that's not too bad. I usually go to fuchsia from the East

I guess it sort of makes sense since there is no bike. No department in Celedon is strange

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I beat the game, or am at least ending my playthrough now. I got all the obtainable Legendary Pokemon and beat all the post-game bosses, completing the Pokedex and getting Mew just isn't worth my time.

• You can enter Sliph Co before completing Pokemon Tower/Beating Koga.
  • There is a healing pad on one of the floors in Pokemon Tower, this is a great spot for grinding exp.
  • Potentially due to a programming glitch, the last two floors of Pokemon Tower feature different songs. It's rather spooky.
  • You can catch the Marowak ghost in Pokemon Tower.
  • All trainers in Fuchsia Gym use Janine's sprite. Koga doesn't give you a TM.
  • Safari Zone costs $500 and you use your own Pokeballs/battle like normal/has no time limit.
  • Safari Zone seems to have different zones despite being a single map.
  • The Karate Dojo features a two round fight. Choose Right for Hitmonlee, Left for Hitmonchan.
  • Sabrina uses the Abra line, all at Lvl50. Gives you TM40 (Psybeam).
  • Be careful on Route 21 as you can run into Suicune as a one-time only random encounter. It knows Air Cutter, Bite, Growl, and Whirlwind(!!), Registers as ??? in the Pokedex.
  • There is only a Leaf Stone behind Pewter City's Museum. There is nothing to do inside, so don't waste your $.
  • Moltres and Magmar are one time only encounters in Cinnabar Mansion. Save often and come with lots of Pokeballs.
  • Lickitung can be found while surfing on Cinnabar Island.
  • The computers in Blaine's gym won't quiz you, so you must battle every trainer. Blaine won't give you a TM.
  • Electrabuzz and Jynx are a one shot only at the Power Plant and Seafoam Islands.
  • Articuno can be found on the first floor in the left Seafoam Island.
  • The right Seafoam Island has the block puzzle but it does nothing, and the pits only warp you back the entrance of the cave despite permanently removing any of the boulders you drop into them.
  • You fight Jessie/James again after defeating Giovanni's Gym. He doesn't give you a TM.
  • Entei is one shot only on Victory Road. It knows Flame Wheel and Ember.
  • It's easy to miss the exit out of Victory Road despite there only being 3 floors.
  • Flying to the Indigo Plateau takes you the entrance of Victory Road. -_-
  • Once you beat the League you're teleported back to Pallet Town, so no end credits.
  • Porygon, Eevee, and Chansey are in Cerulean Cave. I found an Ivysaur while Surfing.
  • Once you capture/defeat Mewtwo, Lorelei will appear outside the cave and give you the pass to Navel Rock and warn you that Jessie/James have appeared at the Indigo Plateau.
  • The Elite 4 rematches are much much harder. They now have larger teams, higher lvls (starting the 60s), and will use items. Team Rocket replace Gary/Green as the Champion, they have their usual Pokemon as well as the Final Starter Evos (Lvl 72s).
  • You can re-battle the Elite 4 even after this event. You don't have to fight the entire Elite 4, after you defeat Lorelei you can exit her room. Great for making easy money/exp.
  • Once you beat Team Rocket for the last time, you can go to Celadon City and fight the trainer with the Brandon sprite who is revealed to be Eugine from Crystal/HGSS version, and serves as the True Final Boss. His entire team is at Lvl 100 and has all 3 Legendary Beasts and the Weather Trio (the latter cannot be obtained or seen in-game beyond this event).
  • Because his Pokemon actually register at Lvl 00 in-game, it seems it effects the moves they have in-battle. I reset a few times after a few losses and noticed Raikou had Thundershock, Volt Tackle, Roar, Bite, Thunder, and Crunch at random. Reset your game to try and give yourself better luck.
  • Eugine once beaten will tell to complete the Pokedex for a surprise (spoiler: He'll give you Mew)
  • You can only go to Navel Rock once, so make it count, bring lots of Ultra Balls. You can catch Ho-oh, Lugia, Raikou (random encounter), Hitmonlee/chan, Lapras, and all 3 fossil Pokemon.

Attachments

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

This is definitely the RPG title that pushes the NES to it's limits, which is even more impressive considering it was originally a pirate game. Not everything made the transition over (mostly status effects/extra move effects), but NES/GB RPGs don't exactly set that high of a bar, which regardless certain things such as random item drops, no trading/version exclusives, HM complete revamp, a larger post-game than even the latest games in the series make it worth checking out as a Pokemon Fan/Retro Gamer. Aside from Tengan Tetris, this is the NES/Famicom pirate to take a look into, especially since I've noticed a lot of homemade repro carts have started popping up on eBay recently.

• If you gain enough exp to jump multiple levels, you'll just warp to that level. Ex. Weedle warped to Lvl8 and skipped learning Harden as a Kakuna.
  • Confusion cannot be switched to cure it.
  • Flinching/Freezing don't do anything.
  • All status effects can be overwritten by another effect bar cursing.
  • You can only sell regular items in shops, so no Pokeballs/TMs.
  • You have 8 Boxes that each hold 25 Pokemon. They automatically switch over once the cap is reached, so you can have 206 in total saved.
  • Kadabra and Alakazam's back sprites are mixed up.
  • There are 40 different TMs.
  • Any TMs not given to you are random drops from battles. You can only obtain them each once.
  • Volt Tackle doesn't deal recoil damage.
  • You don't get EXP if the opponent uses Self Destruct and you survive.
  • Quick Attack doesn't have priority.
  • Payday doesn't give extra money.
  • Dig doesn't shield you from damage for a turn.
  • Vital Throw is a two turn attack.
  • Zen Headbutt is actually Future Sight, is a two turn attack.
  • Flinching and Freezing doesn't do anything.
  • Volt Tackle doesn't deal recoil damage.
  • Dragon Pulse causes you to lose control of your Pokemon for a few turns (auto-play), during which they'll perform moves at random.
  • Magical Leaf is actually Giga Drain.
  • Transform exists under the name ?????? which does nothing despite having a programmed animation.
  • Charm is actually Tickle. Basically a mis-translation of a mis-translation of the move Scratch from the original Pirate (the word scratch translated to tickle in Chinese).
  • Tail Glow is actually Growth.
  • Arctic Breeze is actually Aurora Beam.
  • Absorb is misspelled in the translation (Avsorb).
  • Wisp is really Will-o-Wisp.
  • Counter is actually Curse. You don't get exp upon CPU suicide.
Sandshrew knows Charm.
Mankey knows Charm.
Geodude/Onix have Mud Slap.
Beedrill has Poison Fang.
Jigglypuff has Charm.
Charmelon gets Dragon Rage instead of Rage.
Tentacool knows Knock Off.
Voltorb knows Iron Defense.
Magnemite knows Harden.
Squirtle has Harden instead of Withdraw.
Beedrill knows Smokescreen.
Clefairy/Jigglypuff know Bulk Up, the former also knows Double Team.
Wartortle learns Double Team at 25.
Goldeen knows Smokescreen.
Spearow can learn Bounce.
Doduo knows Bite.
Wigglytuff knows Quick Attack.
Charmelon learns Charm over Scary Face.
Farfetch'd/Doduo knows Crush Claw.
Mr. Mime knows BulkUp.
Poliwag knows Faint Attack.
Grimer knows Psybeam.
Ivysaur learns Smokescreen at Lvl 29.
Drowzee can learn Rock Smash.
Voltorb knows Faint Attack.
Kababra can learn Zen Headbutt, which is a two turn attack.
Machoke learns Rock Slide.
Charmeleon learns Flame Wheel instead of Flamethrower.
Kangaskan knows Rock Smash.
Pinsir knows Karate Chop and Growl.
Eggexicute knows Faint Attack.
Scyther knows Air Cutter.
Rhyhorn knows Double Edge.
Marowak knows Swords Dance.
Snorlax knows Hypnosis and Shadow Claw.
Dratini learns Dragon Rage at Lvl23, and Pound instead of Slam at Lvl29.
Hitmonlee knows Faint Attack.
Machoke knows Double Edge.
Electabuz knows Defense Curl.
Muk knows Bite & Super Sonic.
Growlithe knows Faint Attack.
Rapidash knows Crush Claw.
Horsea knows Octazooka and Poison Gas.
Poliwag knows Sky Uppercut.
Shellder knows Arctic Breeze and Growl.
Seaking knows Stomp.
Fearow knows Bounce.
Tentacool knows Aerial Ace.
Meowth knows Super Sonic.
Wartortle knows Double Team.
Golduck knows Charm and Agility.
Mr. Mime knows Rest, Psyshock, and Super Sonic.
Golbat knows Shadow Ball.
Venusaur learns Stun Spore instead of Growth.
Onix knows Crunch and Ancient Power.
Dewgong knows Rock Smash.
Chansey knows Hidden Power, Encore, and Tackle.
Kingler knows Faint Attack.
Drowzee knows Mist Ball.
Graveler knows Mud Shot and Mud Slap.
Blastoise learns Bubble Beam instead of Rain Dance.
Dragonair learns Dragon Claw instead of Safeguard.
Magical Leaf is actually Giga Drain.
Hitmonlee knows Swords Dance.
Machamp knows Iron Defense.
Gengar knows Wisp.
Gyrados knows Dragon Pulse and Dance.
Sandslash knows Rock Tomb.
Alakazam knows Super Sonic.
Exeggutor knows Frenzy Plant.
Rhyhorn knows Guillotine.
Golduck knows Crush Claw.
Mewtwo knows Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash.
Chansey knows Magic Leaf and Bulk Up.
Porygon knows Rapid Spin, Counter, and Psychic.
Weepinbell knows Tail Glow, Grass Whistle, and Karate Chop.
Gloom knows Needle Arm.
Charizard learns Karate Chop at 44.
Alazkazam learns Super Sonic at 45.
Venomoth knows Hypnosis.
Charizard doesn't learn Wing Attack at 36.
Lapras knows Dragon Dance.
Jolteon learns Revenge.
Raichu learns Calm Mind at Lvl52.
Venusaur learns Recover over Synthesis.
Blastoise learns Stomp over Skull Bash.
Charizard learns Dragon Pulse at Lvl54.
Dragonite learns Dragon Pulse instead of Outrage.
Aerodactyl knows Aeroblast and Metal Claw.
Raikou can learn Volt Tackle.
Kyogre knows Air Cutter, Bite, Super Sonic, and Bubble Beam.
Groudon knows Dragon Rage, Eruption, Wing Attack, and Tackle.
Rayquaza knows Dragon Breath, Aeroblast, and Recover.
Slowbro knows Poison Tail.
Dewgong knows Smokescreen and Rock Smash.
Lapras knows Whirlwind and Hidden Power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom