• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainers biggest flaw

Achelion

Smash Cadet
The time it takes to switch is so long it's just unfair. In 1v1's I feel at such a disadvantage because unlike Zelda/Sheik I have to switch and it comes at such a price. Yeah, knock them away, blah blah...but every couple of matches it happens. They recover faster than you can switch and sit there charging a smash. You hold shield/dodge as hard as possible, but its inevitable -- you get hit with that smash and before you got to even use it, you're Pokemon is gone-zo. I feel like the switching mechanic is far too long and puts PT at a huge detriment in 1v1 games. It's such a dirty tactic, but people will do whatever they need to win :\

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
Try to run or hit them with a big move is the only midbattle option. Unless you stick with your first pokemon, knock them out, and switch while they spawn...

hazard99

Smash Cadet
Well, I only played for 5 hours when the game was first released, but I didn't have any issues. My brother is pretty good too, and he knew you could attack pokemon when they get out of the pokeball, but I still managed to avoid most of the attacks by rolling or shielding. I normally changed when he died, but I also changed after throwing him away.

My guess is that you aren't throwing them far enough. IDK. It wasn't a probably at all for me.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... i only change when opponent is spawning.... or you know.. you could learn to use all three really well and not have to change unless you playing a huge disadvantage. That little tid bit of technique works really well.. especially when your opponent is really scared of your ivysaur.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
This is a big problem against camping opponents, because it takes so long to bait them out of your shell and you get beat up a lot while doing it. A fatigued Ivysaur is barely worth playing against a med-high percent opponent, but there is no way for you to effectively land a knock-away attack that lasts long enough for Ivysaur to switch out.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Air switching would be lame... your opponent would have to kill you by getting you off the screen or it's automatically Charizard coming back with his awesome recovery. And to those of you saying to shield or dodge as soon as you get out, good luck. It won't take many battles before your friends get the timing down for your switch and hit you with a fully-charged smash over 80% of the time. There's no way around it - you have to either kill them, or knock them far enough, then switch immediately. Plan ahead. If you know you're gonna get fatigued soon, really work to land that F-smash for Ivysaur, or that d-tilt for Charizard. The whole point is to switch out before they get fatigued... if you forget and let one Pokemon get too tired, you'd better hope you manage to land a charged smash or something.

Bottom line is, taking advantage of the time you take to switch is NOT a cheap tactic. It's your job to switch responsibly. In serious play, you can bet that your opponent will be able to smack you out of a switch with a fully-charged smash 99% of the time.

TheLake

Smash Master
Nicely said squiser.

I like how PT has such a disadvantage actually. Its your duty as a Pokemon trainer to handle your pokemon resbonsibly.

Ivysaur ***** though...that is all (:

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
Even Zelda/Sheik has a longer change time as well, but you're not encouraged to switch at all anywa. The change time is so long that a fast side kill sometimes does not even give you enough time to switch.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that the change time varies at all? I notice it most when facing a team of CPUs in classic and switching before one comes down. It can take six, seven seconds before my pokemon comes out. Is it just this situation or is it random?

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, has anyone noticed that the change time varies at all? I notice it most when facing a team of CPUs in classic and switching before one comes down. It can take six, seven seconds before my pokemon comes out. Is it just this situation or is it random?
I feel the same way too. I didn't time it yet, but sometimes I feel like it takes a lot longer for my next pokemon to appear than usual.

I wonder if there's a trick tied into opening the pokeball.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
it could be, because i have noticed the same... change time vary a little.

sometimes it takes like forever,,,, and sometimes is very fast,

Fearmy

Smash Ace
actually i think you can make your pkmn come out slower, i've done it once on all-star mode, in the area where you are about to go to the next level. I though my game froze but the music was still playing. when i mean come out slower i mean come out of the PK ball. I've seen my noob friend do it on Vs. match with out knowing it...

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
im pretty sure the slow switches is caused by the game lagging
like the game already has a good amount of load time
and on top of that it has to load a new character when u change up

i believe it depends on how often u use each poke so it loads quicker
or if theres a bunch of stuff going on, such as ur opponent is recovering and using fair thinking it will help his momentum but it jus lags u >.<

Trozz

Smash Ace
I swap when the opponent has been slapped away, or if I'm in a tight situation and absolutely need to get a Pokemon off the field, even if it means getting hit.

iNiGhTmAr3

Smash Apprentice
it could be, because i have noticed the same... change time vary a little.

sometimes it takes like forever,,,, and sometimes is very fast,
Yeah the change time varies, and sometimes you could be punished for that. But I've been practicing with all 3 Pokemon and I want to be able to win with Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard in any situation. If I do have to change, I'll change when I KO my opponent.

Zek

Smash Ace
Time is definitely a big weakness of Pokemon Trainer. You get maybe 1:30 of fighting before fatigue sets in, and switching out when they're not off the stage will get you killed. It means PT has no time to waste - he can't afford to play too defensively or let someone camp for long he'll be left with a fatigued pokemon and no way to switch. It shouldn't be too hard to find an opportunity to swap out as long as you don't cut it too close though.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
Stamina is the biggest flaw...

i wa sin a match.. ivy got tired.. so i switched to charizard after knocking them away. they come back kill me... so i have to send out squirtle... after awhile i die... then ivy is sent in.. still tired.. T-T

Zek

Smash Ace
Stamina is the biggest flaw...

i wa sin a match.. ivy got tired.. so i switched to charizard after knocking them away. they come back kill me... so i have to send out squirtle... after awhile i die... then ivy is sent in.. still tired.. T-T
That can't be right, from what I can tell stamina is totally reset when you die.

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
That can't be right, from what I can tell stamina is totally reset when you die.
i dont believe so, the in-depth guide thats sticky'ed says its 2 minutes of stamina
after those 2 minutes are up, u gotta let ur poke rest at least a minute to get full stamina again

dying only resets the diminishing return/stale move counter thing w/e

Top Bottom