• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Stadium

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
If we care about Smash's longevity, then I don't think we should be removing any stages. Playing on a fewer number of stages will make smash sessions and watching tournaments more repetitive. It will feel more like we're doing the same thing over and over again. If anything, I say we add more stages. Compromise? We keep it the same.

MunchMyster

Smash Rookie
Compromise: Remove Stadium, include Mute City! :D
Yeah, let's replace a stage where you can actually grab the ledges and minor hazards that may cause about five seconds of stalling with a stage with zero ledges to grab and several stage hazards that cause damage.

I like mute city too, but I'm honestly glad it's not a counter pick anymore.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Holy cow learn to take a joke people hahaha.

As far as Pokemon Stadium goes, it'd hardly bad. Except that whole fall through the stage thing which rarely happens anyways, it's one of the very few dynamic stages allowed in Smash's history, so reasons other than "it's horse****" should be provided for argument.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Holy cow learn to take a joke people hahaha.

As far as Pokemon Stadium goes, it'd hardly bad. Except that whole fall through the stage thing which rarely happens anyways, it's one of the very few dynamic stages allowed in Smash's history, so reasons other than "it's horse****" should be provided for argument.
It implies that all characters on the stage are pokemon, and thus, slaves to us humans - it is almost like we can tell them what to do and they MUST do it no matter what. It's cruel and wrong. We should ban pokemon stadium.

The bad transformations are temporary and falling through the stage occurs very rarely. They're too insignificant to worry about

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
The reasons pokemon stadium should be banned is because it ABSURDLY favors fox. If you wanted to a make a stage which caters to fox's strengths even more the only thing you could do is add more walls. Foes has crazy advantages on 3 out of the 5 transformations.

Honestly there's a lot of stages which could be legal but aren't for very small reasons. The good thing is that you can play on whatever stage you want if the other player agrees.

If you want a perfectly balanced stage list it would just be battlefield.

Massive

Smash Champion
Battlefield isn't actually balanced, it favors jigglypuff and marth due to the weird edges and the way platforms work.

A completely balanced stage would likely have Pokemon Stadium's neutral platform setup and yoshi's ledges/walls.

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
I'm in favor of banning PS, making FD and Dreamland 64 counter-picks, and using the "Stage Dismissal Rule" along with MDSR.
1-1 striking and no bans.

The stage list will look like this:
Starters: Battlefield, Yoshi's, FoD
Counterpicks: FD, DL64

SDR means you can not pick a counter-pick stage you have already won on, but if you win on a starter stage, you can re-pick it.
Use MDSR so starter stages that heavily skew a few match-ups won't be abused as much, and to make sure there is good stage variety in sets.

This is pretty complicated, but if TO's do their job and make sure everybody understands the rules, I believe this would be the best and most balanced ruleset.

A quick fix would be to just make it illegal for Fox to counter-pick stadium.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
competitive games should not have random factors
stadium is random.
most of the transformations would not be legal if they were a separate stage.
this is such seems like such an easy decision

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I don't see a problem with Stadium at all. When there aren't transformations, its a great stage for pretty much everyone. The transformations are really too short to matter that much, and if you get caught in an infinite or something it's usually your fault for being somewhere you shouldn't be. You just have to know what options will work and when you should execute them. It adds a level of depth that makes Melee special.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
if the transformations had a set pattern and some of them were modified to not be as ridiculous it would be a great stage.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
What do you mean by ridiculous? I think they all have options for each character, whether it be camping one side of the stage or going in and forcing the opponent into an unfavorable position. A set pattern could make it better, but it does show you which transformation is about to happen, so you can plan accordingly.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
when a characters best option is hiding until the next transformation....
their is an indicator as to the next transformation but it is a random transformation
also stages should not be looked at from characters perspectives but a broader perspective. i would argue that 2 of the transformations would be banned if they were stand alone stages.

on a less important note. as rare as it is falling through a stage is never a good thing.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
No it would be boring and help spacies even more.
you think there should be random aspects to this game to add excitement?
i think when there is money on the line that randomness should never play a factor (or only the smallest possible factor)
i think the stage should be banned all together

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
you think there should be random aspects to this game to add excitement?
i think when there is money on the line that randomness should never play a factor (or only the smallest possible factor)
i think the stage should be banned all together
They tried playing Baseball indoors (which reduced random factors). It sucked.

Also did you know that all baseball fields are different and benefit certain players? It's kind of like how stage geometries affect matchups.

Randomness is fine so long as the factors don't throw the game. You can easily prepare for all of PS' transformations and you can tell what form comes up next.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
They tried playing Baseball indoors (which reduced random factors). It sucked.

Also did you know that all baseball fields are different and benefit certain players? It's kind of like how stage geometries affect matchups.

Randomness is fine so long as the factors don't throw the game. You can easily prepare for all of PS' transformations and you can tell what form comes up next.
Quite easily, mind you. It's pretty easy to tell when a transition is coming--if it's been a while, and you look at the background screen you'll know what to expect.

As far as randomness those arguing against it we have things like Peach's turnips/beamswword/BOB-OMB/Mr. Saturn, Game and Watch 9, and Luigi misfires--while all can be quite pivotal, they're not gamebreaking by any means. This stage is pretty harmless, except for the whole falling through it now and then, but that's exactly it--that barely ever happens

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
Doesn't LOL have randomness? It's 1 of the biggest competitive games out there. I think a little randomness can be tolerable
i have zero knowledge of LOL so i will just take your word for it. if the 4 transformations stood alone as their own stage which ones would you consider to be legal?

i have zero knowledge of LOL so i will just take your word for it. if the 4 transformations stood alone as their own stage which ones would you consider to be legal?
Grass and water

There is a stalling problem, but it only occurs up to 50% of the time when PS transforms, on average. Each time it transforms to rock or fire, the game can stall for up to 30 seconds. I think we see the significance of this problem differently

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
That's irrelevant. The four transformations are not stand-alone stages.
Yeah, this is actually a pretty important thing to note. We can argue about whether or not something is good by itself, but it isn't by itself so it's irrelevant.

Top Bottom