• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon: Real Life Gyms/mini pokemon games for friends

What's your favorite Badge in this fake game?

• Onset Badge - I love starters!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sewer Badge - Turtle Power!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Claw Badge - KITTY!

• Scout Badge - I play prepared

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Osmosis Badge - Cause not too many badges have three syllable names.

• Skull Badge - Ghosts rule

• Sandstorm Badge - Cause Sandstorm is a great weather condition.

• Jurassic Badge - Cause Fred is a great Gym Leader.

• Total voters

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So I remembered that I did this after a conversation on IGN where I initially posted this guide to the year or two when I ran the closest thing I knew to a real-life casual pokemon gym:

Step 1) Get a managerial job at a workplace that kids use for recreation, like a tourist trap, a nintendo store, a gamestop, a chuck e. cheese, a dave and buster's, a bowling alley, a fun center. Really any place that orbits around video games and fun.

Step 2) Make a pokemon team centered around a type or theme and make a name for the badge. Easy example: The Fright or Skull badge at the Ghost Gym (Great if your job is horror related, like a haunted house or horror tourist attraction). Level them to 100.

Step 3) Buy cheap plastic badges that you get as party favors that look close to how the badge you want to get. Easy example, a bag of 200 little plastic skeletons with a plastic thing that hooks onto a shirt pocket works great for the fright badge.

Step 3) Bring your 3DS to work with you, keep it in the host stand or front reception desk for maximum streetpassing.

Step 4) When you see a kid (or maybe adult?) is playing pokemon, as you're the manager and no one else at the place can tell you what to do, challenge them. If you have time, explain they've entered the (whatever your gym is) gym and this is for a badge. (If they're just playing 3DS in general, ask if they have pokemon)

Step 5) If they're a kid, give them the badge regardless if they win or lose. They're 10, you're an adult. Do the math. Adult players are optional, but you might as well.

Step 6) Tell the kid if anyone else wants to challenge your 'x' gym, you work there 5 days a week and challengers are welcome.

Optional Step) If you have employees that play, encourage them to make a smaller and weaker team that fits with your gym (or do it yourself and give them the pokemon) and players can try to challenge them first.

Congrats, you now know how to make real life pokemon gyms.

I miss managing that bar now. Ah well. Skull badges for all!

But remembering I did that resulted in details:
My Ghost Gym was:
Gengar

Chandelure

Giratina

Spirtomb

Rotom

Jellicent.

With a lot of substitutes available. But this gave me Fire/Water/Electric/no weaknesses and dark/dragon/poison to even out the ghost filled team. [Note: Giratina was often subbed out cause I didn't like legendaries]

The restaurant was a themed horror establishment.

Then I remembered the full pseudo pokemon game I was working on for my friends to play where I set up eight 'gyms' that I was supposed to challenge them by playing. If you're still reading and still interested, here's the make up of those gyms:

Wifi battles can be hard. The meta game gets crazy at a certain point.

So I found my old gym lists if you're interested:

Gym 1: The Onset Badge (Starters Only)
Leader: Oakley (I apparently named them. Homage to Professor Oak, I guess? Don't really remember)
Chesnaught
Delphox
Greninja
Charizard
Venusaur
Marshtomp

Gym 2: The Sewer Badge (Turtle Gym)
Leader: April
Carracosta (Nicknamed Donnie)
Torterra (Nicknamed Mikey)
Torkoal (Nicknamed Raph)
Blastoise (Mega's, nicknamed Leo)
Linoone (Nicknamed Splinter)
Krookodile (Nicknamed Leatherhead)

Gym 3: Jurassic Badge (Prehistoric) (this Gym is 3 on 3 battles!)
Leader: Fred
Omastar (Nicknamed Lord Helix because that's the name of my Omastar)
Tyrantrum
Aurorum
Cradily
Shieldon
Aerodactyl (Mega)

Gym 4: Claw Badge (Kitty gym)
Leader: Bubs
Mienshao
Purugly
Weavile
Luxray
Pyroar
Espurr

Gym 5: The Scout Badge (Prepared for expected weaknesses)
Leader: (I never named this leader)
Emolga
Elektross
Spirtomb
Gliscor
Mawile
Flygon

Gym 6: Osmosis Badge (Water Absorb team... this one's hard to get, a lot of these are Hidden ability)
Leader: Never named... I guess Jones?
Lapras
Cacturne
Lanturne
Mantine
Quagsire
Poliwrath

(Lots of surf and water absorb make this gym tricky)

Gym 7: Skull Badge (Ghost Gym)
Leader: Igor or Boris
I detailed the make-up of this team in my earlier posts.

Gym 8: The Sandstorm Badge (It's a Sandstorm team. I just used my sandstorm team for this badge. Making this and the ghost gym the only ones at full 100 and ready to actually play)
Leader: Unnamed
Hippowdon
Tyranitar
Gliscor
Flygon
Omastar
Torterra

[Gliscor has subbed out for Magneton cause I didn't level up my Gliscor.]

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
That sounds amazing! If I ever become a manager of something applicable, I would totally try to do something like this! It just seems like too much fun! Also with Pokémon Go coming out sometime this year, this idea could be made even better since there would be a wider range of people playing the game, and it just fits the game's whole real world location theme. Also that seems like it would be a really cool way to attract more business, and to make your business stand out. Also if I were still a young kid, this would actually be my dream come true!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
So I remembered that I did this after a conversation on IGN where I initially posted this guide to the year or two when I ran the closest thing I knew to a real-life casual pokemon gym:

Step 1) Get a managerial job at a workplace that kids use for recreation, like a tourist trap, a nintendo store, a gamestop, a chuck e. cheese, a dave and buster's, a bowling alley, a fun center. Really any place that orbits around video games and fun.

Step 2) Make a pokemon team centered around a type or theme and make a name for the badge. Easy example: The Fright or Skull badge at the Ghost Gym (Great if your job is horror related, like a haunted house or horror tourist attraction). Level them to 100.

Step 3) Buy cheap plastic badges that you get as party favors that look close to how the badge you want to get. Easy example, a bag of 200 little plastic skeletons with a plastic thing that hooks onto a shirt pocket works great for the fright badge.

Step 3) Bring your 3DS to work with you, keep it in the host stand or front reception desk for maximum streetpassing.

Step 4) When you see a kid (or maybe adult?) is playing pokemon, as you're the manager and no one else at the place can tell you what to do, challenge them. If you have time, explain they've entered the (whatever your gym is) gym and this is for a badge. (If they're just playing 3DS in general, ask if they have pokemon)

Step 5) If they're a kid, give them the badge regardless if they win or lose. They're 10, you're an adult. Do the math. Adult players are optional, but you might as well.

Step 6) Tell the kid if anyone else wants to challenge your 'x' gym, you work there 5 days a week and challengers are welcome.

Optional Step) If you have employees that play, encourage them to make a smaller and weaker team that fits with your gym (or do it yourself and give them the pokemon) and players can try to challenge them first.

Congrats, you now know how to make real life pokemon gyms.

I miss managing that bar now. Ah well. Skull badges for all!

But remembering I did that resulted in details:
My Ghost Gym was:
Gengar

Chandelure

Giratina

Spirtomb

Rotom

Jellicent.

With a lot of substitutes available. But this gave me Fire/Water/Electric/no weaknesses and dark/dragon/poison to even out the ghost filled team. [Note: Giratina was often subbed out cause I didn't like legendaries]

The restaurant was a themed horror establishment.

Then I remembered the full pseudo pokemon game I was working on for my friends to play where I set up eight 'gyms' that I was supposed to challenge them by playing. If you're still reading and still interested, here's the make up of those gyms:

Wifi battles can be hard. The meta game gets crazy at a certain point.

So I found my old gym lists if you're interested:

Gym 1: The Onset Badge (Starters Only)
Leader: Oakley (I apparently named them. Homage to Professor Oak, I guess? Don't really remember)
Chesnaught
Delphox
Greninja
Charizard
Venusaur
Marshtomp

Gym 2: The Sewer Badge (Turtle Gym)
Leader: April
Carracosta (Nicknamed Donnie)
Torterra (Nicknamed Mikey)
Torkoal (Nicknamed Raph)
Blastoise (Mega's, nicknamed Leo)
Linoone (Nicknamed Splinter)
Krookodile (Nicknamed Leatherhead)

Gym 3: Jurassic Badge (Prehistoric) (this Gym is 3 on 3 battles!)
Leader: Fred
Omastar (Nicknamed Lord Helix because that's the name of my Omastar)
Tyrantrum
Aurorum
Cradily
Shieldon
Aerodactyl (Mega)

Gym 4: Claw Badge (Kitty gym)
Leader: Bubs
Mienshao
Purugly
Weavile
Luxray
Pyroar
Espurr

Gym 5: The Scout Badge (Prepared for expected weaknesses)
Leader: (I never named this leader)
Emolga
Elektross
Spirtomb
Gliscor
Mawile
Flygon

Gym 6: Osmosis Badge (Water Absorb team... this one's hard to get, a lot of these are Hidden ability)
Leader: Never named... I guess Jones?
Lapras
Cacturne
Lanturne
Mantine
Quagsire
Poliwrath

(Lots of surf and water absorb make this gym tricky)

Gym 7: Skull Badge (Ghost Gym)
Leader: Igor or Boris
I detailed the make-up of this team in my earlier posts.

Gym 8: The Sandstorm Badge (It's a Sandstorm team. I just used my sandstorm team for this badge. Making this and the ghost gym the only ones at full 100 and ready to actually play)
Leader: Unnamed
Hippowdon
Tyranitar
Gliscor
Flygon
Omastar
Torterra

[Gliscor has subbed out for Magneton cause I didn't level up my Gliscor.]

Any thoughts?
This is a really awesome idea!

Me & some online buddies of mine used to do this over wifi.

It started out as a mono-type double-elimination tournament. The top 8 finalists became gym leaders. I think we had near 100 people participate.

Each one of us was a gym leader of a type we picked beforehand, all different. We had google docs with rules, records, contact info, etc. Whoever beat all 8 gyms became Champion and then became the "9th" gym (they had to use the team they won with). Whoever then beat all 8 + the Champ became the new Champ, got recorded in our hall of fame, etc.

Instead of badges, we gave out 5IV Pokemon based on ones that we raised for our teams.

After about a month or two, we'd switch over to another double-elimination tournament, with the top 8 finalists becoming the new gym leaders.

The most fun I've ever had with a Pokemon game, let alone a tournament, in my whole life. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom