• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire announced for November

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Mega Kangaskhan is on another level compared to the rest of the Megas and most have Power-Up Punch+Sucker Punch on their set, so dealing with Rock/Steel is no biggy while for Fighting, it has Return.

Anyway, Swampert's lack of recovery, lowers its tanking abilities, it's extremely susceptible to all types of hazards, so tanking is further nullified, below/slow speed, average SpD for a supposed tank. Look, if Blaziken gets Speed Boost TWICE, why not give Swampert some love with Sap Sipper (it truly was not my first ability of choice for it, but whatever).
Because Sap Sipper would turn him into an absolute monster in the Pokemon metagame. Add that along with the added boosts in other stats and Mega Swampert will go into high heaven Uber. It not only nullifies Grass moves, but also raises his Atk stat by one stage which is already above average. You set him up with a Rapid Spin user alongside and he'll tanking plenty of hits thanks to his above average HP stat. He's gonna be more of a tank in Mega Evolution with a possibly higher atk stat. Trust me, he'll be like Eelectross except as a very huge threat. Fit him in with Stealth Rocks, Scald/Waterfall, Roar, and Earthquake and Mega Swampert will be an absolute Nightmare with Sap Sipper. It's seriously a bad idea...

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Bro, I know Swampert's potential as he's been a staple in my teams since Gen 3. Even with the coverage of Sap Sipper, people can wear down Swampert. As the listed reasons in my previous post, Swampert is not a wall by any means. If anything, Swampert will end being a slightly better version of :143:. In fact, he will still be outclassed a wall/tank by Gastrodon who sports a reliable recovery and still holds the 4x weakness to Grass. Plus, if your opponent isn't a nub, they won't recklessly be throwing out Grass moves so Swampert gets +6 easy.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Honestly I wish we had a remake of Pokemon yellow and Pokemon crystal instead of this
Why the hell would we go BACK to the Kanto region AGAIN. Why would they remake remakes? And why would we get Crystal when we had HG/SS. If they remade Yellow or Crystal I'd have been legitimately pissed off.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Bro, I know Swampert's potential as he's been a staple in my teams since Gen 3. Even with the coverage of Sap Sipper, people can wear down Swampert. As the listed reasons in my previous post, Swampert is not a wall by any means. If anything, Swampert will end being a slightly better version of :143:. In fact, he will still be outclassed a wall/tank by Gastrodon who sports a reliable recovery and still holds the 4x weakness to Grass. Plus, if your opponent isn't a nub, they won't recklessly be throwing out Grass moves so Swampert gets +6 easy.
I understand that, but giving him no sort of Type weakness to counter? Swampert is best used as a tank while spreading status throughout your enemy team like a burn from Scald and Roar to move it onto the next Pokemon. Burns really hurt a Pokemon's ability to physically attack. If he is going to be getting Sap Sipper, then he needs to at least lose the Ground typing for his Mega Evolution. Also, you're talking about Base form Swampert when we have no idea what exactly Mega Swampert's stats will be increased.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I honestly wish these games could've been released on the Wii U. It would've helped that system SO MUCH.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I understand that, but giving him no sort of Type weakness to counter? Swampert is best used as a tank while spreading status throughout your enemy team like a burn from Scald and Roar to move it onto the next Pokemon. Burns really hurt a Pokemon's ability to physically attack. If he is going to be getting Sap Sipper, then he needs to at least lose the Ground typing for his Mega Evolution. Also, you're talking about Base form Swampert when we have no idea what exactly Mega Swampert's stats will be increased.
Spiritomb/Sableye, nuff said. Anyway, I prefer not to run Scald as Swamp's SpA is only average. Please don't patronize me and explain what status does which, been playing competitively since gen 2. Gastrodon is still a better option since a recovery move does make a serious difference hence why Sableye succeeded in ranks while Spiritomb fell. Without Leftovers recovery, Swampert won't be taking blows like the tank he once was. I would argue that his role becomes slightly worse than what it currently is as his speed (even if there is a buff because the buff would be minor) would leave him to be outpaced by many and have to tank hits before it can even attack and that is a recipe for disaster with the lack of any sort of recovery. It kind of reminds me of Mega Blastoise.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Spiritomb/Sableye, nuff said. Anyway, I prefer not to run Scald as Swamp's SpA is only average. Please don't patronize me and explain what status does which, been playing competitively since gen 2. Gastrodon is still a better option since a recovery move does make a serious difference hence why Sableye succeeded in ranks while Spiritomb fell. Without Leftovers recovery, Swampert won't be taking blows like the tank he once was. I would argue that his role becomes slightly worse than what it currently is as his speed (even if there is a buff because the buff would be minor) would leave him to be outpaced by many and have to tank hits before it can even attack and that is a recipe for disaster with the lack of any sort of recovery. It kind of reminds me of Mega Blastoise.
To be fair, Spiritomb and Sableye have have pretty bad stats,with Sableye only being useful because of Prankster and Recover. Normal Swampert, with his already amazing defensive stats (in his base form) would probably jump back up to OU. Mega Swampert with Sap Sipper and the stats boosts would make it at least suspect. The only thing holding Mega Swampert back would be its lack of instant recovery, which could be solved with a Resttalk set.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
To be fair, Spiritomb and Sableye have have pretty bad stats,with Sableye only being useful because of Prankster and Recover. Normal Swampert, with his already amazing defensive stats (in his base form) would probably jump back up to OU. Mega Swampert with Sap Sipper and the stats boosts would make it at least suspect. The only thing holding Mega Swampert back would be its lack of instant recovery, which could be solved with a Resttalk set.
RestTalk set for ol Swampy? Not the greatest sets for Swamps, but it's usable if you like relying on the shaky Sleep Talk. Sableye is useful due to Prankster, Recover, Will-o-Wisp. Swampert (vanilla) will probably never be OU again as Gastrodon does everything it does and better. Mega Swampert with Sap Sipper will be OU for sure though, not Uber as Alex wants to make people think. Swampert is only average defenses to be called a tank. Other Pokes that relied on RestTalk have fallen,:143:,:245:.
Overall I don't even think Sap Sipper is that great of an ability to begin with because it relies on your opponent being stupid, which doesn't happen in higher play, so what you would have is a pretty useless ability with RestTalk. 2 move slot gone and no ability doesn't sound good to me at all.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Why the hell would we go BACK to the Kanto region AGAIN. Why would they remake remakes? And why would we get Crystal when we had HG/SS. If they remade Yellow or Crystal I'd have been legitimately pissed off.
Please calm down, this is my personal opinion, nothing to get angry at. And I never said 'let's go back and remake yellow' I specifically said 'I Wish' and I mean when they remade fire red, it would be nice to have thunder yellow, I have no clue why you are so angry, but I hope you respect my personal opinion. I didn't mean to offend anyone

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
RestTalk set for ol Swampy? Not the greatest sets for Swamps, but it's usable if you like relying on the shaky Sleep Talk. Sableye is useful due to Prankster, Recover, Will-o-Wisp. Swampert (vanilla) will probably never be OU again as Gastrodon does everything it does and better. Mega Swampert with Sap Sipper will be OU for sure though, not Uber as Alex wants to make people think. Swampert is only average defenses to be called a tank. Other Pokes that relied on RestTalk have fallen,:143:,:245:.
Overall I don't even think Sap Sipper is that great of an ability to begin with because it relies on your opponent being stupid, which doesn't happen in higher play, so what you would have is a pretty useless ability with RestTalk. 2 move slot gone and no ability doesn't sound good to me at all.
It has an above average health and Atk power. It can still tank hits as well as dish out damage. Also, using Scald with Swampert is useful if it has Roar with it as well because it has a chance to afflict Burns to your enemy's team unlike Waterfall, not to cause massive damage. That's also what Stealth Rocks is for. Toxic combined with Waterfall would be a much better choice if you aren't trying to hurt the enemy's ability to physically attack. With Sap Sipper, he might force his Grass opponents to attack it and raise its attack power even further with Taunt. That's easily a solution to maximize the effectiveness of Sap Sipper besides neutralizing damage from Grass which is again the biggest weakness of Swampert right now. Again, I might be okay with Sap Sipper as long as he loses one of his typings like Ground.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I see your point. Assuming Mega Swampert doesn't gain instant recovery and/or a large boost in its defensive stats, I'd be okay with Mega Swampert having Sap Sipper. Mind you, this is all speculation over a ME we don't even know exist yet so its all up in the air.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't remember playing the Originals or at least not much of them, so this would be a remake I'm interested in. I'm going with Blaziken no doubt. It's my favorite Pokemon. Though I did play Pokemon XD as my Gen 3 game.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
It has an above average health and Atk power. It can still tank hits as well as dish out damage. Also, using Scald with Swampert is useful if it has Roar with it as well because it has a chance to afflict Burns to your enemy's team unlike Waterfall, not to cause massive damage. That's also what Stealth Rocks is for. Toxic combined with Waterfall would be a much better choice if you aren't trying to hurt the enemy's ability to physically attack. With Sap Sipper, he might force his Grass opponents to attack it and raise its attack power even further with Taunt. That's easily a solution to maximize the effectiveness of Sap Sipper besides neutralizing damage from Grass which is again the biggest weakness of Swampert right now. Again, I might be okay with Sap Sipper as long as he loses one of his typings like Ground.
You seem to forget about Swampert's unforgivingly slow speed and if Swampert's role is to be a tank with no reliable recovery and also having to be hit each time even before it battles/attacks, Mega Swampert will be eliminated faster than expected. Trick Room may help to alleviate his problem, but Swampert is not cripplingly slow enough for a Trick Room set. Running Scald is implying you would invest/waste some EVs on SpA and lose a move slot to it. If no SpA is invested, then Scald is a worse option, but then again, this is based solely on the fact Swampert's SpA is only average, not his ME form. Swampert can run SR, but there better Pokemon for that, Swampert must be your last resort for SR as that just fills in a move slot. Toxic, Waterfall, Earthquake, Roar are the moves I run as Toxic is your best status spreader and Earthquake because duh, Waterfall is so I invest EVs only in HP, Def/SpD. First of all, if ME Swampert gets Sap Sipper, no good trainer in their right mind would stay in against a Swampert with a Grass attacking/Grass Pokemon. Second of all, regardless of Swampert running Taunt to force Grass to attack, a +1 boost is not crazy because you opponent would have to be silly to keep in their Grass Pokemon and it's not like Grass Pokemon only run Grass attacks. Sap Sipper is a decent option for ME Swampert to have, not OP because it relies your opponent's unfamiliarity and stupidity which is not a good thing. Sap Sipper Swampert is still miles away from your standard Gastrodon as the Snail can pretty much stall/heal all day while Swampert really has to tank/take the hits before it even gets to attack. If Swampert had a reliable healing move AND Sap Sipper, maybe this argument would be different, but as it stands, Swamps is outclassed by Gastrodon and Sap Sipper Swampert is best described as a gimmick. Now, Alex, if you have more to say, please take this to PMs as feel this argument is clogging the thread and want other people to enjoy the very presence of a remake, not see 2 very passionate fans argue about hypothetical situations like Swamps getting a ME and the Pokemon company putting Sap Sipper because everyone knows the Pokemon company doesn't think competitively with their Pokemon since it would take more time to release Pokemon games.

Kycse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nin-Kycse
The fact that Black and White were released after Brawl really do not hold much, if any, importance. Especially since the Ruby and Sapphire remakes come out around a month before Smash 4, based on the estimates that Nintendo has given.

As I mentioned earlier, we already have both a fully evolved fire starter, and a fully evolved water starter. Therefore, it is not illogical to assume that we shall see a fully evolved grass-type starter.

Since we have that established, we have to take a look at the fully evolved grass-type starters throughout the Pokemon games. Many of them are large quadrupeds (Venasaur, Meganium, and Torterra), which probably are not suited for a fighting game. Serperior is unlikely because of its snake-like body structure, and the difficulty of creating moves that comes with such a structure. This narrows it down to Sceptile and Chesnaught. I would not be surprised if Chesnaught were included in Smash 4. However, I feel that Greninja's inclusion in the game hurts Chesnaught's chance of making the cut, because they are from the same games. This pretty much means that Sceptile is the most likely to appear as a playable character by default.
this is all true, he is the most likely grass starter to be playable. but in terms of being a likely playable character in general, he is rather unlikely. we have 4 pokemon characters right now, jiggs is still unconfirmed and is very lilely to come back. its VERY unlikely they would add a 6th pokemon that isn't mewtwo. grass does not need to be be represented. the fact that we have a water and fire starter are attributed to there popularity which sceptile comes nowhere close.

Top Bottom