• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Combat

Batman93

Smash Rookie
I was inspired to write an essay on a game I thought up. The essay isn't nearly finished but I'm curious to see what this site thinks of it.

Pokémon is one of the most popular franchises of our time. It has made millions of dollars world wide since the start of it in the 90’s. The games turned into the show which then turned into the cards. It was thrilling in the beginning to kids of all ages to have your own team of Pokémon creatures and use them in battle in a made up world. However, Pokémon is not true to itself. Sure being able to train your Pokémon to their max potential with stats and natures in a 2-D world and what not is fun, but can there be more?

Super Smash Bros. is also a great Nintendo franchise, with the start of the first game on the Nintendo 64. People can pick their favorite characters and train with them against friends in exciting, thrilling combat using characters from a variety of Nintendo game series like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc. There has been three different games in this series now, the latest being Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii. This style of game is awesome. It is one of the most popular, fast selling games of the Nintendo universe.

Now that two different games in the Nintendo series have been mentioned, you, if an actual person is reading this, and not a computer, are probably wondering what is trying to be brought about. Imagine putting the two games together. Having a Pokémon game for the Wii but in Super Smash Bros. style is the visualization that is just waiting to be realized. In the hand held Pokémon games you get to choose a starter, such as Charmander. You fight other trainers and battle wild Pokémon; eventually leveling it up to get a Charizard or other final evolution. As you level up your Pokémon also learns new moves such as Flame Thrower. Expert trainers also look for certain stats, natures and traits in the handheld Pokémon games. But why not make the game more like the show where it is not the Pokémon that matters but the person using it. Imagine having a Charizard battle a Blastoise for example. In the games today, Blastoise would probably win due to its advantage in types. However, if you make a game like Super Smash Bros., where stats and types only play a marginal role, the game becomes more realistic for the player and the Charizard will have a chance at winning the match like Ash’s did against Gary’s Blastoise. This kind of game will be more like the show.

The games mechanics would work as follows. In an adventure mode, you would get to choose from any of the starters made in the current Pokémon generations depending on which generations are put into the game due to memory limits. After that, you will have the choice of going through Master Quest which will include fighting all of the gym leaders and the Elite Four or going through a main adventure mode based on the legendary Pokémon of whatever generations you decide to add in to the games. The Master Quest will be similar to the Pokémon Stadium games where you will have to go through a certain amount of trainers to get to each gym leader. After you have gone through each gym leader you will take on the Elite Four. The adventure mode will work with Master Quest to the extent that if you think your Pokémon are at the right level to take on a gym leader you can do so. As you go through adventure mode your Pokémon level up. There won’t be as much wild Pokémon fighting though. There will be areas in the Pokémon world of the game where you will be able to fight certain Pokémon. Through fighting and winning against certain Pokémon, you unlock Pokémon in your PC. After fighting through the leagues and gyms you will also receive more Pokémon in the PC. The Pokémon in your PC will be ready for use in a custom match mode where you pick Pokémon you want to use to verse your friends or computers.

As in all fighting games, there has to be some sort of damage system or HP system. In this game that I am describing to you, it will be HP. The HP will have to be extremely high though, or damage low, however, having HP in the thousands to keep the matches some what long lasting is a better sounding idea, with the potential to be more fun. There will be an option to change this though in custom matches to make the game longer or shorter. The amount of HP your Pokémon has also depends on the Pokémon to create the balancing unbalance that I have found in some games. Those numbers should be in some sort of equal ratio to the numbers in the handheld games.

The more you use the Pokémon in the custom matches the more they level up and learn different moves like in the Pokémon games of today. However, you do not get to keep all of the moves. Each move will be a certain combo of buttons on the controller. For example; down B for a Tyranitar will be Earthquake. As you level up a Pokémon you will have to choose which moves you want to keep. Like in Super Smash Bros., there will have to be a basic set of punches, kicks, tail whips, head butts and what not. Those types of moves will probably be in the A button section. Anything you do in the custom matches is connected to the adventure mode. So, if you were to get a Fearow in custom matches and you used it, the experience you get in the custom matches will be added to the total in adventure mode. When you get to the point where your Pokémon evolves, you can use that Pokémon in the PC at any level you want. So, if you wanted to have level 5 battles with a friend, but you wanted to use top evolution starters, you would be able to do so because once you get a Pokémon you can manipulate its move set and level in custom match mode. However, this is only in custom mode. In the adventure mode you will not be able to do this because it would make the game too easy. Obviously, there has to be some unbalance in the game to make more balance. What I mean by that is, for example, a level 5 Clefa will not be able to defeat a level 5 Blastoise very easily.

As in Brawl, there has to be stages to pick from in custom mode. I figured out options that you can use as stages in custom mode. The first set of stages will be based on each gym that you as a player must go to in Adventure mode. That makes 8 so far. 17 more will be added to the stage list for each type of Pokémon. I will get into specifics for that later in the essay. Another few stages could be like that of Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 in Brawl where the stage totally changes its layout over time. Another stage I wanted was a basic stadium stage like in Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 for the Nintendo 64. I also wanted a very basic stage like the ones outside the Pokémon Centers in the show with the plain dirt layout and the boundaries carved into the ground. The gym stages will be based off of the gyms like I said before. The gym leaders will be the ones from the first set of Pokémon games. First off, each gym stage will have a giant version of their badge on the back wall. Brock’s gym will be a rocky setting with boulders placed in the ground. You will be able to break the boulders, but they will sort of grow back eventually. Misty’s gym will be like an inside swimming pool. You will be able to swim on the sides of the stage. You will also see a huge tank in the back round with a few of Misty’s Pokémon swimming by. One of the Pokémon will be Gyarados. It will rampage and smash the glass causing the water to spill out onto the battlefield, sort of like the big lava wave on Norfair in Brawl. Lt. Surge’s gym will be a basic gym stadium with raised platforms on it. From time to time the gym floor will start to glow up with electricity flowing though the floor. If a player doesn’t get on a platform at this time they will be shocked and damaged. Erica’s gym will obviously be some sort of eccentric garden with beautiful flowers and plants. This stage will be more like a moving stage where after a few seconds the battle will move to a different part of the garden showing grass and bug Pokémon in the background. Sabrina’s gym will have different colors of purple and dark pink flowing in the background with a platform. In the back you will see an Alakazam concentrating. Once in a while, its eyes will start to glow yellow and the main platform will turn upside down or sideways. Koga’s gym will be a main round bottomed platform with poison, purple, black ooze surrounding it like an ocean. Grimers and Muks will appear in the ooze some what frequently; Grimers more than Muks. Blaine’s gym will start out in a volcano with the players being able to see the top of the volcano. However as the battle progresses, the volcano will rumble, a little stronger and longer each time. Eventually, magma will spew out of the volcano bringing you to the outside of the volcano on the black, melted landscape. Giovanni’s gym will be a plain dirt gym with Dugtrios and Diglets in the way as they dig through the turf.

Now you have to think about how abilities will come to play to have some more balance. In the Pokémon games of today, if a Golem used earthquake on a flying or levitating Pokémon such as Pidgeot, it will automatically miss because of its abilities. In the game I am imagining the person defending against the earthquake will have to notice it and fly up. Heavy Pokémon such as Steelix will not be able to jump very high at all. Therefore, balance is made. Weather abilities will also be in the game and cause damage to who it would cause damage to in the original games; like hail only giving damage to non- ice type Pokémon. Moves like sunny day will only change the setting of the game but won’t affect the game play because there won’t really be stats. Weather abilities can not last for a number of turns; however, they can last for a short time period; thirty seconds seems to be an educated estimate as to what is fair. Non- physical moves such as psychic will be used in a fair way. If you are using Alakazam and you want to use Psychic, you have to stay stationary for a moment and focus in on an opponent with a target of some sort and then let the energy out in the spot the target is on. Certain types of moves can cause side effects such as poison, paralysis, sleep, freeze and confusion. Poison will damage the target for a certain amount of time depending on the concentration of the move and which move it is. Paralysis will cause your Pokémon to stop in place every few seconds. Sleep will cause your Pokémon to fall asleep on the spot. Being frozen will have your Pokémon in a piece of ice. Either the ice will thaw or your opponent will break it by causing a certain amount of damage. Confusion will cause your Pokémon to go the opposite way you are going and it will also cause you to hurt yourself when you attack like in the original games.

Now it is time to get into move specifics. First off, the accuracy of the moves will be based on the accuracy of the player as it is in Brawl. That is the most basic specific detail. Moves that have stronger power, such as Fire Blast, can not have the same recovery rate as Ember. Naturally, there has to be balance made. An idea I have come up with is to make it so that a move like Fire Blast takes longer to charge up and also it takes a second to recover from after usage. Moves like Hyper Beam will be made to make a player stunned after using it, like breaking a shield in the Smash Bros. series. Any moves that fall from the sky, such as Rock Slide, will work a little differently. When used, rocks will rumble in the area the move will hit. The move will activate a few seconds after the button combination has been entered. For other moves of this type, another form of warning will be displayed. Projectile moves, such as the Aura Sphere that Lucario uses in Brawl, must be charged up before use. The time put into the charge of the move will change the power and distance the move gains. Beam type moves, such as Ice Beam, will require the played to aim where they want it to hit after pressing the correct button combination. Beam moves will work the same way as projectile moves in the sense that time affects the distance and power the beam is granted.

Currency will be another involvement in the game. The more you play the game the more currency you receive allowing you to buy things like potions, TMs, HMs and different stones for evolutions. This will make players happy because they will have an unlimited amount of certain TMs to use on the Pokémon that can learn them instead of only being able to have one or two, without a cheat device. To the addition of TMs you can buy moves that are not TMs for a much higher price. For example, you will be able to buy the move Outrage for Charizard. You can also buy Pokémon instead of unlocking them if you do not want to wait to get it for a high price. Another option is to play the lottery that will be available to try and get more currency.
Another way to receive items is during battles. Like CDs, trophies, and stickers in Brawl, a player will see uncommon sightings of certain items pertaining to evolution stones, TMs, and potions. Berries have the option of being equipped prior to the match. They can also have the ability of falling onto the battlefield during a match. The size of the berries will be smaller than the apples in Brawl, but should be big enough to tell what kind of berry it is that fell.

The most annoying thing I find in the handheld Pokémon games is the cheats that can be used in the game. In the game I have thought up I don’t want any cheat codes and such. If players want shiny Pokémon the fairest thing I can think of is giving them the option to make a Pokémon shiny after leveling a Pokémon to level 100. Seeing as you can’t trade Pokémon from this game to the Nintendo DS games it makes it fair.

Obviously, there has to be limits to how many Pokémon are in the game. A suggestion I want to make is maybe make two to four different versions of the game, each having one or two generations of Pokémon on it. It would probably be smart to test the game out with the first one or two generations though, just to see how the popularity and sales go. I set the essay up for the first generation only as a start up. However, if you, whoever the reader is, decide to want two generations in the game I can gladly make ideas for different stages and whatever else is necessary.

As a 17 year old, I am educated enough to know that millions of these idea essays are submitted to the company with the hope of being made. However, in today’s society and economy, it is not the good ideas people have that matter; it is the money the ideas make. I have done some research to show how much money this game would probably make the Nintendo Company. I’ll start with the Pokémon series and then convey the Super Smash Bros. series after.

1. Pokémon Red and Blue have sold 8.6million copies in the US. In Japan, Red, Blue, and Green sold 10.4 copies.
2. By 2000, over 6.5 million copies of Pokémon Silver and Gold were sold in Japan. In the first week of being sold in the U.S, the games sold 600,000 copies.
3. Pokémon Sapphire and Ruby sold 1.25 million copies with its first four days of release in Japan. 2.2 million copies were sold in the first month in North America.
4. In Japan, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl sold 3 million units in 46 days of release. As of 2009, sales passed 5.3 million in the US.
5. Super Smash Bros. sold 4.9 million copies, with 2.93 million copies sold in the United States, and 1.97 million copies sold in Japan.
6. As of March 10, 2008, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the best-selling GameCube game, with more than seven million copies sold worldwide
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold 9.48 million units as of March 2010.
8. The yearly profits for Nintendo have been excellent at over two billion US dollars yearly.
9. The recent 18% decrease will be easily combated with the introduction of this game that caters to the majority of Nintendo fans.

With the research I found online you can see how much it would benefit Nintendo to produce such a game. Of course you would have to find a developer for the game and they would make money too. When you combine the sales of the newest Pokémon games and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you can see how successful it would be if you were to put the two games together into one.
I personally think that this will be a great game to develop. You will have all sorts of different fans buying the game such as fighting game genre fans, Pokémon fans, Super Smash Bros. fans, etc. All of these ideas I created came to me after seeing the Pokémon Trainer in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I thought to myself what a game would be if it was just that. After that I started thinking through all of my Pokémon game experiences to put all of them together and take away or add anything I thought was necessary. The new Wii Virtual Console game “Pokémon Rumble” was a big part of the idea as well and is an extremely less complicated version of the game I want to see come to life. Pokémon Stadium was also another part of this. I have been playing Pokémon since I was a little kid. I love it personally and I know a lot of others that do as well. After seeing the show and living the dream with Ash Ketchum, I have the same thrill. I want it to be as real as possible and I am sure there are millions of others that agree with me. Making this game will do just that. I will send this letter to you as well as one or two of your main game developers. After thinking all of this through, I can almost guarantee a successful turn out with these ideas.
Sincerely,
Eric J. Martin

Chill

Red
BRoomer
First of all, spacing is your friend.

Secondly, I'm moving this to the lab as it's more of a fan project.

Batman93

Smash Rookie
yea copy and paste = yuck i edited the essay and spaced out the paragraphs for all.

Top Bottom