• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PokeCenter Team Collaboration!

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I had an idea and I thought it would be cool to try it out here. I hope the mods don't mind.

So basically, the goal of this thread is for members of the PokeCenter to collaborate and make a team for standard ladder play. After the team is complete, we can pick one of out best players to play this team on the Shoddy ladder and see how high on the ladder we can rise.

Goals for this thread:
  • To help those wanting to become better at building teams witness first hand what goes into good team-building.
  • Foster growth iin the PokeCenter
  • See how well our combined minds stand up to high ranked players from smogon.

So I'll start with the first pokemon.

Life Orb Charge Beam Jolteon

I don't think I've ever seen this set used and I think that could give us an advantage since it seems like most players may not be prepared to deal with this threat. Also, I think it would be better for us to go in a non-conventional direction and explorer less used sets.

Threats that appear right off the bat:
Any scarfed revenge killer, especially Flygon. EQ from scarfed flygon will easily take out joleton can and will end our sweep short.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
We tried this a loooooooooong time ago, and it didn't turn out so well :(

but Jolteon is a good pokemon to work with, with very specific threats against it. Problem is that the things that counter it are notoriously difficult to trap (Flygon, ScarfTran, etc). Luring is a different thing entirely, perhaps ShucaTran with Dragon Pulse would work well.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I vote no UU/BLs. The last time we made one of these it sucked.

And I'd be happy to be one of the testers.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Luring is a different thing entirely, perhaps ShucaTran with Dragon Pulse would work well.
I thought this was a good idea. However, Riddle brought up a good point on aim: most flygons would uturn a heatran obviously expecting the switch out. Which would reveal the dragon pulse.

He also brought up using an agiligross with ice punch. If we have the right evs, metagross can outspeed scarf flygon after one agility.

These both seem like valid ideas

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
You wouldn't use it the first time, everybody's going to U-turn out of a Heatran. 8D

Agiligross would arguably be a better sweeper even with it lacking the power to beat walls if we went with 196/jolly to smack flygon.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like Jolteon.

I think just running HP Ice will go a long way towards beating Flygon. If Jolteon is behind a sub Flygon can't do anything to it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sub Charge really limits what you can do. Not having Thunderbolt isn't all that great.

OR THUNDER WITH DRIZZLETOAD

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Jolteon @ LO
Timid / Volt Absorb
252 Spe / 252 SpA / 6 Def
Thunderbolt
Charge Beam
Shadow Ball
HP Ice

i'm pretty certain this is the set, maybe substitute over shadow ball but i think this is the set he's trying to run

but i agree, running subcharge with lefties (or some other item) would be better than this, jolteon's got the speed to really abuse the boost in SpA he would get from the charge beams

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hey so before you really start this, Protip.

It isn't going to work. I've made better teams in 10 minutes than previous attempts at this took a month+ to put together.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
How exactly is subcharge better?

and the set is on the page i linked lol. i dont see where the confusion arises

edit: im sure yur right ulti, but i wanna learn how to make good teams, please entertain the idea no matter how foolhardy it is. if you're good at making teams your input would be much appreciated

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
BLISSEY COUNTER

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Levitate / Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk
Substitute
Mean Look
Curse
Giga Impact

discuss

mood4food77

Smash Hero
because substitute is the best move in the game

jolteon is only outrun by ninjask, who is pathetic anyways, so he has the speed to abuse the sub (even though he's got no bulk) and with charge beam boosts and an already decently high SpA, he can hit stuff hard, while having almost perfect coverage (only lanturn and magnezone resist it), and because electric has amazing neutral coverage, HP ice is only used for ground and rass pokemon, and guess what, YOU OUTRUN THEM ALL, so they're not switching into a +1 jolteon anytime soon as HP ice 2HKOs all of them

with a sub, being revenge killed is not as worrisome since at +1, you OHKO scizor and flygon

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I agree that substutute is amazing.

But running it on this set just seems pointless.

When will you find the oppurtunity to sub? When you force a switch? Ok, so then you're under a sub and you charge beam to get the spA boost while they break your sub. Why wouldn't you just charge beam initially? It it provides the same exact outcome except with a sub you have 25% of your health lost.

So I guess i'm not following the logic here.

Sub might be useful for stopping status but thats about it.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I agree that substutute is amazing.

But running it on this set just seems pointless.

When will you find the oppurtunity to sub? When you force a switch? Ok, so then you're under a sub and you charge beam to get the spA boost while they break your sub. Why wouldn't you just charge beam initially? It it provides the same exact outcome except with a sub you have 25% of your health lost.

So I guess i'm not following the logic here.

Sub might be useful for stopping status but thats about it.
Because then when they switch in scarf Flygon you have to switch out. If you had subbed you would at least be able to get a HP Ice off.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
The only way to beat Scarf Flygon is to HP Ice on the switch, as odds are it will NOT be the last thing left.

End of discussion.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Because then when they switch in scarf Flygon you have to switch out. If you had subbed you would at least be able to get a HP Ice off.
this is valid

is it enough of a reason to give jolteon sub over tbolt though?

what do you guys think about the agiligross with ice punch idea?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I don't get it, to be honest. Flygon is practically OHKOed by Meteor Mash.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
it does 87.7% - 103.7% on scarf flygon.

with stealth rock damage it becomes a bit over a 50% chance that it'll ohko, so yea I think that does make ice punch kinda unnecessary

Riddle

Smash Lord
Because scarfgon is faster than standard agiligross. Unless theyve change the set since I've been there or something.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There is no circumstance under which you can convince a Flygon to switch into Metagross, bar revealing you have a Choice Scarf and using Thunderpunch.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the only reason to switch in flygon on metagross is if you know he's either thunderpunching or using earthquake

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Scarf Flygon doesn't OHKO standard Metagross with Earthquake.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Adamant / Pressure
Substitute
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Dragon Claw

Sub on the switch, deal 86.4% - 101.7% to Flygon.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Taunt/Earthquake/Toxic/Waterfall Gyara. Bulky EVs with enough speed to outspeed defensive walls (~250).

It is a flawless Flygon/Rotom lure and hits them with Toxic on the switch, limiting their usability greatly. It can taunt walls as well, helping Jolteon to muscle through stall.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I think Jolteon is kinda hard to start with, does anyone have any ideas for better starting pokes?

remember, non conventional sets are ideal

Top Bottom