• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM3.6 | Static / glitchy music on vanilla build (no customs & customs)

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
Hello guys!

So I originally posted this under the Bug section as it occurs with the vanilla PM 3.6 homebrew build on a brand new virtual SD card, but I was told that even the PM brstms are viewed as custom content and cannot be fixed by PMDT. So I decided to post it here as it would make more sense according to other members.

So I'm having this static/glitchy music issues (sped up song, replaced by another track mid-song) that usually occurs with custom musics, but ever since 3.6 it also occurs with the brstms that PMDT put in their vanilla build. I have tried the usual tricks that would work in 3.5 to fix it but nothing works:
  • Reformatting the SD card and even creating a brand new virtual SD card (I'm on Dolphin), issue still occurs.
  • Defragmenting the SD card, issue still occurs.
  • When placing customs, instead of overwriting a previous file, tried deleting the previous file THEN importing the new file, issue still occurs.
  • Unzipping the homebrew version on my desktop, adding my custom songs manually inside the folder, THEN installing PM on a new SD card, issue still occurs with all custom songs as well as songs put in the build by PMDT.
This didn't occur with 3.5: all songs from the PMDT use to play perfectly, and all custom songs I used to add would not cause the static issue if I would delete and replace instead of overwriting. And if the issue would occur, a defragment would fit it instantly.
Now in 3.6, nothing works, and ALL brstms cause the issue.

Any help please? I really want to fix this so I can finally import back my custom build I took so long to make.

Thanks!

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
maybe if you redownload the PM 3.6 homebrew build from the official website it may work better. thats all i got.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
This is one of the first things I tried, vanilla build straight from the website still causes the issue... :/

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
hmm... i did hear defragging your sd card may help... but i have no idea how to do that. i own a mac btw.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
As stated in my original post, this was also one of the first things I've tried. :(
While this used to work for custom songs on 3.5, on 3.6 it does absolutely nothing for me..

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
As stated in my original post, this was also one of the first things I've tried. :(
While this used to work for custom songs on 3.5, on 3.6 it does absolutely nothing for me..
oops, didn't see that :/ other than that, i can't think of anything else. sorry.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
Thanks for trying to help me anyway!
Anyone else would have an idea? I'm very lost here as the usual methods aren't working...

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I read somewhere that the usual cause for this is when you copy and replace the music files, instead of deleting the old song files first and then copying+pasting new ones on. Could you have done so without thinking much of it with your source files, which you may have otherwise assumed were fresh/new? If not idk lol

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
yeah, thats how people usually mess up their song files. that also counts for sfx files, if i'm correct.

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Same happened to me. Go to your virtual sd card, extract and open the gameconfig.txt and find the line that reads hooktype. Then change the value to 1. Save the changes and put the file back in the virtual SD, save. This should fix sound bugs.

I don't know why this happens, but I found this solution in the SSBPM subreddit. Let me know if it works for you!

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
Same happened to me. Go to your virtual sd card, extract and open the gameconfig.txt and find the line that reads hooktype. Then change the value to 1. Save the changes and put the file back in the virtual SD, save. This should fix sound bugs.

I don't know why this happens, but I found this solution in the SSBPM subreddit. Let me know if it works for you!
YOU ARE MY SAVIOR!

Just tried this, and suddenly all of the default PM songs work perfectly! Not only that, but I've injected a few of my custom songs and they all work like a charm! Thank you so much Dos efes! :)

Last edited:

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I use hackless and it's actually very easy to mod that as well, even though the stuff i said is probably useless to you then. I'm glad someone was able to help you out. I still can't figure out how to get PM on dolphin to work (mostly because i use a mac) but at least i can mod it anyway. it's a pain to get it to boot up though.:facepalm:

Juken

Smash Ace
I too have noticed something odd with PM 3.6. At the results screen, once the character's victory theme plays, it will start to play the new song, then some static kicks in and it plays a sped up and distorted sounding version of a certain track from the Smashville level (I don't know the name of the track, but I listened to the Smashville songs and heard the song that was playing, but it was much slower than the glitch that happens).

I could record it if anyone wants to hear it. I should note that I play on Dolphin with Gecko and an sd fromt he SD card maker, and it was fine for the first few times I played. It could have to do with me replacing some songs on random stages, but I don't see how that would affect Smashville at all if I replaced 2 or 3 songs on levels not related to Smashville or the results screen.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I too have noticed something odd with PM 3.6. At the results screen, once the character's victory theme plays, it will start to play the new song, then some static kicks in and it plays a sped up and distorted sounding version of a certain track from the Smashville level (I don't know the name of the track, but I listened to the Smashville songs and heard the song that was playing, but it was much slower than the glitch that happens).

I could record it if anyone wants to hear it. I should note that I play on Dolphin with Gecko and an sd fromt he SD card maker, and it was fine for the first few times I played. It could have to do with me replacing some songs on random stages, but I don't see how that would affect Smashville at all if I replaced 2 or 3 songs on levels not related to Smashville or the results screen.
that must be bowser's victory theme because it actually replaces K.K. condor of all songs, so it makes sense that an error like what you're experiencing may occur. you should tell the PMBR about this so they could fix it.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
that must be bowser's victory theme because it actually replaces K.K. condor of all songs, so it makes sense that an error like what you're experiencing may occur. you should tell the PMBR about this so they could fix it.
Bowser's victory theme is disabled for smashville. He's literally experiencing the standard brstm error.
Since he uses dolphin, I'd advice you follow what was posted above as well as defragment the card.

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Bowser's victory theme is disabled for smashville. He's literally experiencing the standard brstm.
Since he uses dolphin, I'd advice you follow what was posted above as well as defragment the card.
How do I defragment a card made with the SD card maker? Just delete everything? If that's it, then I've already done that.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's victory theme is disabled for smashville. He's literally experiencing the standard brstm.
oh, ok. that's a little odd.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
How do I defragment a card made with the SD card maker? Just delete everything? If that's it, then I've already done that.
Then follow what Dos Efes posted above. I know jack-**** about configuring virtual SD cards for dolphin.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
WinImage -> open sd.raw -> Image -> Defragment current image -> save as sd.ima in your desktop -> rename it to sd.raw -> cut and paste it in Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Wii and replace the old one.

Juken

Smash Ace
Still doesn't work, I've still been having static issues and I did the hooktype thing to 1.
I removed all the files from the card, put them onto a folder, and then drfragmented the SD. I deleted the original SD and used the defragmented one, then once I put the files ont here; it worked fine after I did that.

Also make sure that there is an N12.brstm file in your strm folder because if there is none, it will use the default track from Brawl like with any other sound file. Like what was said to you int he other thread, since Bowser's theme is over an unused Smashville song, it will played a scrambled version of the unused Smashville song for Bowser's theme if you don't have an N12.brstm file in your directory.

I wish people would stop telling people to defragment their SD card.

DO NOT DEFRAGMENT YOUR SD CARD. EVER.

Delete the contents of it and then put your files back on it. Do not ever overwrite sound files. Delete and replace.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
I think Defragmenting issues only apply to real SD cards. In this thread's case we use virtual SD cards which has absolutely no issue being defragmented.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I wish people would stop telling people to defragment their SD card.

DO NOT DEFRAGMENT YOUR SD CARD. EVER.

Delete the contents of it and then put your files back on it. Do not ever overwrite sound files. Delete and replace.
Implying there aren't multiple ways to defragment an sd card that won't kill it.
Deleting > replacing and removing > readding is just manually defragging it.

Top Bottom