• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
See guys, the delay was a good thing!

The polish put into Retro Suit Samus is amazing, the gems on the costume finally look perfect.

Will we be seeing the model portraits for the other costumes other than Fusion Suit Samus you mentioned before Nanobuds?

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Oh that, Boxer DK won't get done, since fur is rather difficult to render without having to paint over it a lot.

I already posted a Fusion Suit render a few weeks ago.
http://i.imgur.com/lo1Rgc4.png?1

I haven't done a Dark Suit yet, but I may later with the new rendering technique that I used for the Power and Fusion suit.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I like how you're hosting an AMA, Nanobuds Nanobuds , when we pretty much ask you questions and tell you things that you answer here anyway.

I guess it's more of an opportunity to hype and tease us, being a bigger deal, but still was enough to make me Giglett.
Praise me more

http://m.imgur.com/a/dPCSU

EDIT: Oh yeah SJS is PMDT now. He textured this beautiful thing.
THAT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER. Though I am less than fond of the new shoulders and red wires instead of black or dark green but I still love you forever. I don't know what to think of the less pointy, whether I love it or hate it. Didn't SJS contribute to Project M unofficially before the 3.6 update though?
@ Nanobuds Nanobuds Both the new Retro Samus and Fusion Samus costumes seem to have glowing visors. Will the rest of the costumes (default ones included) get that too?
Brawl characters never had self-illumination, did they? Is it a Brawl box feature, or something you guys invented? I want to dabble in it.
Looks like Luigi's finally got his full degree in Medicine

He's finally earned his head thing
The "finally earned his head thing" made me lol, but for whatever reason, it bothers me. I like the differences between Mario's head thing and Luigi's lack thereof for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
THAT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER. Though I am less than fond of the new shoulders and red wires instead of black or dark green but I still love you forever. I don't know what to think of the less pointy, whether I love it or hate it.

The black joint sections were pretty boring, and the new colors are in reference to the retro suit art.

The old shoulder pads looked kind of weird on the model with the space between the segments, so while the new round ones may be a compromise on the design I think they look much better.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
The black joint sections were pretty boring, and the new colors are in reference to the retro suit art.
Oh, no, not the joint segments, those changes are perfect, I meant the cords themselves. The darker colours seem to make them significantly pop out visually, and would correspond well to the new elbow colours.

The old shoulder pads looked kind of weird on the model with the space between the segments, so while the new round ones may be a compromise on the design I think they look much better.
Though the sharp contrast to the smooth really helps the visual direction. The round shoulders make Samus look lumpy-wumpy and unnatural, while the sharpness gives more comfort, makes it more natural, and really helps with the direction. But, like you said - the space between segments is important too. I'm not necessarily an expert on the matter, though I have done my research on visual crapjunk babies. I guess they're not too big-a-deal, since I can change 'em myself on release.

Too weird. Too weird.
Don't ask, I honestly don't know why or how either, but it's what it is.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Fur is rather difficult to render without having to paint over it a lot.
Amen to that. Fur is tough. I'm actually pretty decent at rendering it into something Photoshoppable if I put in the effort, but I can never get it to work properly on in-game imports. That's the main reason I'm not having my Icies with really poofy transparent fur like Brawl. Plus the trouble of rigging extra layers of fur, of course.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Amen to that. Fur is tough. I'm actually pretty decent at rendering it into something Photoshoppable if I put in the effort, but I can never get it to work properly on in-game imports. That's the main reason I'm not having my Icies with really poofy transparent fur like Brawl. Plus the trouble of rigging extra layers of fur, of course.
QUICK, APPLY TO THE PROJECT M TEAM AS A PROFESSIONAL RENDERERER MAN.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
My development process is somewhat similar to that @ Nefnoj Nefnoj

1. Get bored, start working on something neat,
2. However, a bug is discovered,
3. Work begins at solving it,
4. Months later it's fixed, but you can't release the update because someone else is on 2 or 3. LAZY

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I think I have 5 or 6 WIPs that I haven't opened the file for in months.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think I have 5 or 6 WIPs that I haven't opened the file for in months.
When Robin was announced for Smash 4, I made a Ness cosplay with him in Robin's coat. About a month after the announcement, all it lacked was a Levin Sword over the bat and a rig to be complete. It still lacks that Levin Sword and rig, lol.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I hate rigging and I wish it would go away, but I have to do it anyways. That's why I use single binding and skin wrap a lot, if I put in the time and effort I could do it but a lot of the time I'm just
Also I'm still trying to recover from my Kumatora model corrupting ;_; I have all the resources still but I'm kinda mad. I'd be so done if I did any work on her head because I never had any experience with heads in the first place.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
This was discussed a while back, semi-alts for Ivysaur, would people mind if the pre-existing palette swaps were turned into semi-alts? As an Ivysaur main, I would love it.
"Ivysaur's Pokémon Trainer victory pose has not been replaced, compared to with Charizard and Squirtle, making it the only character in the game with just two victory poses."
This needs change.

I love the white Mr. L costume, but dislike the blue and orange one, I've never liked Mr. L palettes, they seem forced and unnatural, same with Butterflyta Knight.
Then I saw this guy's work, he is the exception: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208751
I think the Mr. L swaps need to have similar treatment on the black bits, though that's just me.

2) We have discussed updating brawl models. You'll actually see one in 3.6.3
Speculation time. In addition to illuminated models, Zero Suit Samus is my bet.
I am not a fan of the ninja squirtle. It's a great model, however it's really random and kinda broke our guidelines we made.
I totally agree here, I think they should update it in an attempt to reference Greninja thus meeting the guidelines. I don't know how though, maybe change a few colours here 'n' there? Give his head thingy some decorative Greninja ear points, or some Greninja pearl things? Refine his star to make it a seastar like Greninja has? I also think he could be changed to resemble Samurott easily.

When Robin was announced for Smash 4, I made a Ness cosplay with him in Robin's coat. About a month after the announcement, all it lacked was a Levin Sword over the bat and a rig to be complete. It still lacks that Levin Sword and rig, lol.
I started a Star Fox Adventures alt for Falco, matching the Brawl aesthetic, a while back... Never rigged it. He sits and rots.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
This was discussed a while back, semi-alts for Ivysaur, would people mind if the pre-existing palette swaps were turned into semi-alts? As an Ivysaur main, I would love it.
If it can be made into a good alt without changing it too much.
I love the white Mr. L costume, but dislike the blue and orange one, I've never liked Mr. L palettes, they seem forced and unnatural, same with Butterflyta Knight.
Then I saw this guy's work, he is the exception: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208751
I think the Mr. L swaps need to have similar treatment on the black bits, though that's just me.
I love the orange one. It doesn't look right with all the blue to me.
Speculation time. In addition to illuminated models, Zero Suit Samus is my bet.
Yes plz.
I totally agree here, I think they should update it in an attempt to reference Greninja thus meeting the guidelines. I don't know how though, maybe change a few colours here 'n' there? Give his head thingy some decorative Greninja ear points, or some Greninja pearl things? Refine his star to make it a seastar like Greninja has? I also think he could be changed to resemble Samurott easily.
Pink scarf?
I hate rigging and I wish it would go away, but I have to do it anyways. That's why I use single binding and skin wrap a lot, if I put in the time and effort I could do it but a lot of the time I'm just

Also I'm still trying to recover from my Kumatora model corrupting ;_; I have all the resources still but I'm kinda mad.
Rigging is the part I dread about imports. I have no idea how to do Skin Wrap, so I usually just do it all manually. Sometimes I do half a rig and then mirror, but that doesn't always work.

And yeah, nothing worse than corrupted files. I got into the habit of saving incrementally every so often. Sure, you end up with IceClimbers0001 - IceClimbers0035, but at least you can't lose it all if something goes wrong.
I started a Star Fox Adventures alt for Falco, matching the Brawl aesthetic, a while back... Never rigged it. He sits and rots.
The WIP graveyard is a terrible, terrible place.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
If it can be made into a good alt without changing it too much.
All that needs change, I think, is the bulb. Maybe leaves.
I love the orange one. It doesn't look right with all the blue to me.
Yeah you're right his looks terrible, BUT THE CONCEPT IS WHAT MATTERS!! He changed all the black bits, most palette swaps don't just switch out one colour, they usually stop and swop the two main colours.
Mario's shirt and overalls are a good example: Red becomes green while blue becomes brown. They should switch the black out for ANYTHING. Maybe keep a few dark grey bits.

Pink scarf?
I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that. Maybe add some recolours to reference his in Sm4sh. Of course, his palette should be recoloured to resemble Greninja's palette too.

Rigging is the part I dread about imports. I have no idea how to do Skin Wrap, so I usually just do it all manually. Sometimes I do half a rig and then mirror, but that doesn't always work.

And yeah, nothing worse than corrupted files. I got into the habit of saving incrementally every so often. Sure, you end up with IceClimbers0001 - IceClimbers0035, but at least you can't lose it all if something goes wrong.

The WIP graveyard is a terrible, terrible place.
I think skin wrap is almost automatic. I'm pretty sure all I have to do for my Falco is drag and drop a few thingies here 'n' there since all I did was add a few objects to the Brawl model, easy peasy. My brother loves skinning, so I could probably just ask him to re-re-teach me how to do it. Idea: Maybe we should make a desperate thread of Work In Progresses called the WIP Graveyard, where we upload stuff we've never finished, and if anyone else is interested in the project being done, they can contribute to whatever. After all - our biggest problem isn't that we don't like it, or don't know how it's done, it's being
I'm going to bed now.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
How many bones does Falco's skeleton normally have? Because last month of first year in my college, I did quite a bit of rigging for a bunch of forest animals, if you wanted, I could take a look at him.
Also, on the bright side, there's always custom skins you can add to replace the recolors..

And now that my hype has died down - this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion, but personally I'm not entirely a fan of the re-designed Retro Suit. Imo it clashes with the design of the original Samus, and the rest of the game's aesthetic too much. The visor looks nothing at all like the original visor, the shoulder pads are sorta 'meh', and that's putting it lightly, since I'm assuming they're based off of Samus' in-game Power Suit sprite art, and lastly, the grey tubes on her visor seem to wrap around her helmet, which makes no sense and kinda makes the helmet look worse than the fin-like filters of the original Retro Suit's helmet.. And finally, I sorta liked the black cables in her arms more than the new red ones.

That doesn't mean I completely hate all that hard work, I do really like the glass on the new visor, and you guys did an amazing job of making her look EXTREMELY High quality.. But that doesn't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the game.

And I'd talk about what kind of Retro Suit I'd like to see, but I've posted the Metroid concept artwork I preferred since the original Retro Suit was announced as an alt, and before that. I got a feeling if I want to see my idea come true, I'm gonna have to try and model it myself.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
How many bones does Falco's skeleton normally have? Because last month of first year in my college, I did quite a bit of rigging for a bunch of forest animals, if you wanted, I could take a look at him.
Also, on the bright side, there's always custom skins you can add to replace the recolors..

And now that my hype has died down - this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion, but personally I'm not entirely a fan of the re-designed Retro Suit. Imo it clashes with the design of the original Samus, and the rest of the game's aesthetic too much. The visor looks nothing at all like the original visor, the shoulder pads are sorta 'meh', and that's putting it lightly, since I'm assuming they're based off of Samus' in-game Power Suit sprite art, and lastly, the grey tubes on her visor seem to wrap around her helmet, which makes no sense and kinda makes the helmet look worse than the fin-like filters of the original Retro Suit's helmet.. And finally, I sorta liked the black cables in her arms more than the new red ones.

That doesn't mean I completely hate all that hard work, I do really like the glass on the new visor, and you guys did an amazing job of making her look EXTREMELY High quality.. But that doesn't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the game.

And I'd talk about what kind of Retro Suit I'd like to see, but I've posted the Metroid concept artwork I preferred since the original Retro Suit was announced as an alt, and before that. I got a feeling if I want to see my idea come true, I'm gonna have to try and model it myself.
I think they'll be updating all of Samus' visors.
It seems they wanted to make the New Retro Suit Samus look different from the other suits, the previous version was too bright and saturated, and looked fairly similar to the other suits of Samus. But it stand out. It also looks a bit more aerodynamic than the other suits, other than the weird shoulders. I'm almost tempted to think it was nearly inspired by Other M's Samus, but I don't want to be murdered.
What program do you model with? I'll message you my unfinished work.

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
@ Nefnoj Nefnoj As someone who hates it when OCish art gets in PM (I still hate Beat Sonic) I really like Ninja Squirtle. I guess I just looked at Charizards armor and thought "If Squirtle also got a costume in a Pokemon movie, what would it be?"
Probably not a Ninja, but still.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah you're right his looks terrible, BUT THE CONCEPT IS WHAT MATTERS!! He changed all the black bits, most palette swaps don't just switch out one colour, they usually stop and swop the two main colours.
Mario's shirt and overalls are a good example: Red becomes green while blue becomes brown. They should switch the black out for ANYTHING. Maybe keep a few dark grey bits.
But I like the black and orange. :( It's suitably Halloween-ish.
I think skin wrap is almost automatic. I'm pretty sure all I have to do for my Falco is drag and drop a few thingies here 'n' there since all I did was add a few objects to the Brawl model, easy peasy. My brother loves skinning, so I could probably just ask him to re-re-teach me how to do it. Idea: Maybe we should make a desperate thread of Work In Progresses called the WIP Graveyard, where we upload stuff we've never finished, and if anyone else is interested in the project being done, they can contribute to whatever. After all - our biggest problem isn't that we don't like it, or don't know how it's done, it's being
I had a similar idea earlier, but instead of the WIP Graveyard, it was just a general WIP thread for the Customized Content section so there'd be a place you can check to see what's going on without necessarily having to visit every artist's thread, and then if artists you don't follow post something cool there, you don't miss out on seeing it.

WIP Graveyard is a cool idea, though. I'd definitely post my Robin Ness there if it was a thing.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Wouldn't armored Bowser feel redundant after armored Charizard and armored Mewtwo? This gives off a Strikers vibe which some people like.

Donkey Kong is wearing a circus outfit pretty much.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I think they'll be updating all of Samus' visors.
It seems they wanted to make the New Retro Suit Samus look different from the other suits, the previous version was too bright and saturated, and looked fairly similar to the other suits of Samus. But it stand out. It also looks a bit more aerodynamic than the other suits, other than the weird shoulders. I'm almost tempted to think it was nearly inspired by Other M's Samus, but I don't want to be murdered.
What program do you model with? I'll message you my unfinished work.
Meh. I preferred the clunky, prototype version of her current suit look more.
And I don't like the Other M Samus look.

I use Maya. Will that work?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm no Skylanders fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing either of these in PM.
I just discovered that, that is weird.
I wouldn't mind either, though Donkey Kong's last slot should be used for something cooler I think.
The armour for Bowser's pretty neat, and they could also change his palette to match.
I had a similar idea earlier, but instead of the WIP Graveyard, it was just a general WIP thread for the Customized Content section so there'd be a place you can check to see what's going on without necessarily having to visit every artist's thread, and then if artists you don't follow post something cool there, you don't miss out on seeing it.

WIP Graveyard is a cool idea, though. I'd definitely post my Robin Ness there if it was a thing
I love it. Let's do it. Right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom