• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plz Rate My Sonic

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Keep in mind, i kno i dont keep the pressure on in this match, but it was more of an... exhibition as it were, lol :p Additionally, due to the lag, i was finding my run-grab very difficult to pull off, and only did it when he had lag. Instead generally opted for a running usmash instead. Better ones to come, and to darkNES, i have my LAN adapter, and im looking forward to playing you tonight (as it is now technically wedneday) or tomorrow night. Only two free nights i'd have for awhile. Any insights are appreciated, but due to timing, i generally took a loose approach game and showed some basic tech

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Well you said the lag messed with your grabs so I won't hold that against you (Sonic players should always utilize running grabs). Anyway here are some pointers I think you should look at:
-Don't spam Sonic's fsmash
-More areals
-Practice gimp kills and off stage pursuits
-Move more often
-Space the punishments
-Practice combos

Overall your Sonic was pretty decent though.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
-tend to spam forward smash due the lag... otherwise, would implement tilts to add to more combos
- fought kirby, so aerial combat usually gets me either hit with his down stone attack... or negated by it
-Gimp much more regularly, i did a a few in there... but kirby floats and again, risk getting hit and then im gimped, xD
- spacing, i'd agree: i need to work on it.. i usually keep a high-pressure going, so my spacing was horrid, lol
-combos are decent, just not in this vid, lol :p but i kno what u mean

Great insights, anyone else? i'll put a better few matches out, then it'd be more fair to say :)

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
About gimping Kirby: Look at my thread on this board about the Spike Grab combo. Its very good for gimping Kirby believe it or not.

Repryx

Smash Champion
utilize your speed more, Try linking attacks into homing attacks

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
The smash against the stage? as in a throw off the stage, pursue, and bair or fair them against the stage?? yea, i figured taht out but didn't use it in this match, lol. Does work really well, but if they see it coming, easily countered againt. but i find it particularly effective againts luigi, marth, and ike xD

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
utilize your speed more, Try linking attacks into homing attacks
Exactly, you are really neglecting Sonic's greatest attribute, his speed! you should be running all over the place and landing hits anywhere you can. If anything it will throw off your opponent.

Also while his f-smash is great, you overuse it. Throw in some accurately timed Bairs as they kill nearly as well. Sonic's Bair also has great range and has more priority than alot of Sonic's other attacks (his aerial game is great in general, use Fair more for comboing, spam a few times in a row lol).

Final thing, you need to learn that Sonic's up-B is more than just a recovery, it is great for aerial pursuit as well. i.e. you knock your opponent high up, pursue instantly with up-b and then clip em at the pinnacle off the jump with your Uair. Bada bing bada boom hah. Another thing alot of people forget is that his up-B spawns a projectile that can actually do decent damage. When performing the up-B in the air, the spring tumbles straight below him dealing damage to whoever may come in contact with it. This is great to drop on people who are trying to recover as you are doing the same, alot of times they don't see it coming especially when performed literally right above them.

Not bad overall, just heed some of this advice and i assure you, you will be pleased with the results. :bee:

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Honestly: i didnt even kno he was recording this match, lol :p and it was more of an exhibition: didn't really try to fight, im gonna have to post serious vids, lol :p but yea, thats the main reason i didn't run much.

Secondly, its really risky using the up b to try to ko kirby by star ko. I did try when the opportunity arose, but more than likley he is gonna use his stone drop... several times i went for it and came miliseconds shy, but then im so high up to, i get ko'd, or nearly ko'd, lol

Repryx

Smash Champion
Also use the spring as an escape and regroup, the Dair will get you to the ground fast then cancel itself if you do it right then you are free to roam the stage w.o punishment.

-Ciao

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I suggest you learn how to stutter step. With all of those F-Smashes you attempted, you landed about 3 of them.
You also need work on your recovery. Sonic can recover from virtually anywhere off the stage, including under the stage. Even with an opponent attempting to gimp, Sonic can still easily make it to the stage.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Ok, that i can see. Care to elaborate on that a bit further tho?? Even a vid with somone doing a fantastic job really would be all i need, lol :p. And i tried to stutter step only once, and i got the hit, but i generally dont, but am working to incorporate it into my game. With practice, its easy. I can do it... but in a heated battle, i smash the wrong way at times.. getting me punished usually, lol

Repryx

Smash Champion
once again utilize your speed. also try to throw the dash attack out as its hard to counter against and usually puts you behind your opponent. Spindashes into homing and be precise with your attacks. if you dont think its going to hit or set you up for a hit, its not worth doing. Sonics single hits arent very intimidating.

-Ciao

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Completly agreed, but metaknight is a beast of a matchup for any sonic... range, priority, speed of attacks, and damage output. I did use my speed more, chases, and grabbing in this vid, but played it a bit more safe adn if u notice, didn't spam the fsmash, lol :p

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
One thing i find glaringly obvious about fighting that guy (Xoa) is that he shields better... and and multi-hit attacks (fair and usmash) tend to get me hit, as he blocks and instantly c stick smashes me... so i admit i tend to use the bair to go for a hit cause in the even i miss or he shields, i can still out-manuver him again. Just an insight for fighting him in particular. He has a couple of FFA matches where i absolutley dominate the entire match... but his playstyle kinna counteracts me atm, lol

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Do you follow me though? Instead of jumping out of your rolling attacks with a Bair, use a homing attack. If he's holding the shield down... it will drain more of it away. If he rolls... you may still get him.

You can also just fall back down with a nAIR or even without attacking... just don't do the same thing over and over again cause smart players will just pick up on it.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Also remember to get both hits on the spin attack. If you start your aerial too early, it won't come out.
It's laggy on wifi though and can be hard to time the jump. Should be aiming to jump right after the ground one hits (try to jump into their face).

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Yea, that is one of my main problems with wi-fi.. i still can't seem to get my timing down except in a few lag-free matches i've had... so my running grabs and spindash combo's seem to suffer, but yea, i guess i see ur point, i can mix that up with my bair, cause if i home and bair only... he'll spot dodge and counter, or shield and counter...

He seems to play a defensive game.. and i need to pressure him... but i was finding his metaknight tough... any info on specifically a metaknight? i kno its a bad matchup, lol

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
If you don't mind I would like to try sonic dittos against you. You seem pretty good and I want to see how my sonic compares to others.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Sure, i really wouldn't mind that at all. I can see your brawl code, mine is in my sig. I'll try ot keep updated but unless your on late night tonight (likely 1-3am...) i can't play till sunday or a weekday, goin out to see "The Ruins" as my gf got back from south Carolina. Been two weeks so yea, im tied up a bit atm, lol

But i can input ur brawl FC and if i have time and ur on, its go time!

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Cool, im having MAJOR internet issues at both my own house, and my gf's, where i primarily play, so i will be adding u guys just as soon as im up and running again

Top Bottom