• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plucking Pikmin higher percents on certain stages. Evidince?

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Not really. DSF doesn't really let his pikmin die. Everytime he died he picked new pikmin and it was pretty even. The start of the match was mostly blue and yellow, but that's just a coincidence.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
WEll I thought it was odd that he had a lot of yellows mostly because its a spaceship and all... but hey your probaly right, he didn't pluck to many.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Meh, I noticed he only plucked 2 red.

We'll have to wait a while for somone to actually find out which stage you're more likely to pluck a certain pikmin on.

BTW we already had evidence. The Dojo!

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Meh, I noticed he only plucked 2 red.

We'll have to wait a while for somone to actually find out which stage you're more likely to pluck a certain pikmin on.

BTW we already had evidence. The Dojo!
heh you're right!

"<Standard Special Move: Pikmin Pluck>

[screenshot]

Pluck, pluck, pluck up Pikmin.

First uproot a few Pikmin from the ground. You can have up to six Pikmin at one time. As long as there is ground beneath your feet, you can reach down and pull up a Pikmin, but be aware that certain Pikmin are more likely to appear in specific types of flooring."

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
heh you're right!

"<Standard Special Move: Pikmin Pluck>

[screenshot]

Pluck, pluck, pluck up Pikmin.

First uproot a few Pikmin from the ground. You can have up to six Pikmin at one time. As long as there is ground beneath your feet, you can reach down and pull up a Pikmin, but be aware that certain Pikmin are more likely to appear in specific types of flooring."
well yeh i knew the bold, i just felt it was odd he had a bunch of yellows, on a ELECTRIC spaceship... who knows (hopefully us soon)

legendganon

Smash Cadet
I hope the majority of the Pikmin percentages on FD and Battlefield are yellow or red. Those seem to be the most effective right now.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
well yeh i knew the bold, i just felt it was odd he had a bunch of yellows, on a ELECTRIC spaceship... who knows (hopefully us soon)
i'm thinking it might just be the stage in general, like you were suggesting.

i remember watching an olimar video at delfino plaza, and pretty quickly he had an almost all-blue cast of pikmin (there was no drowning of non-blues involved, it just "happened")... the plaza isn't exactly made of water, but the stage is very watery, so this may have something to do with it.

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to complain if i get a ton of White pikmin. Honestly at 200%-300% even white pikmin should be able to kill with an u-smash. And knowing white pikmin, 200-300% is likely early on.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Clearly, you don't know white pikmin, it would actually take you longer to get there than with any other type. Unless you don't count that other pikmin would actually kill them prior to 200%-300%. Looking at it that way white pikmin are likely the only pikmin that could get someone that high without killing them, but I'm not sure thats a reason you'd want them...

Honestly if different stages/ground types did give different types of pikmin, the only use I could see for it is very opponent specific. For instance if I was fighting a pikachu that was going to be a very difficult match for some reason, choosing a stage where I was going to get more yellow than normal is the only thing that could play any part in the outcome of the match. It'd be an interesting detail for olimar, if it was discovered and could be used against certain matchups, but it really wouldn't make that big of a deal, a small difference in map choice in competative settings.

-True

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
Clearly, you don't know white pikmin, it would actually take you longer to get there than with any other type.
If i was forced to use mainly white pikmin, mind games exist where you could easily rack up that much damge. The latch exists for a reason, and I don't see why not to make do with wha you have.
Unless you don't count that other pikmin would actually kill them prior to 200%-300%. Looking at it that way white pikmin are likely the only pikmin that could get someone that high without killing them, but I'm not sure thats a reason you'd want them...
I would pick others over the white pikmin, but if i'm stuck with them, i'm not going to use an overtly pop-uppy aggro technique that usually uses the red pikmin for example. Obviously it's because they're the white pikmin that you would get up that high in damage percentage. I'm not sure if you've seen the video, but i think it was versus a marth that olimar got marth's damage from o to 80% in about 3 seconds. It wouldn't be as difficult as it seems. Unless you're f-smashing with white pikmin for some reason.

Honestly if different stages/ground types did give different types of pikmin, the only use I could see for it is very opponent specific. For instance if I was fighting a pikachu that was going to be a very difficult match for some reason, choosing a stage where I was going to get more yellow than normal is the only thing that could play any part in the outcome of the match. It'd be an interesting detail for olimar, if it was discovered and could be used against certain matchups, but it really wouldn't make that big of a deal, a small difference in map choice in competative settings.

-True
I agree with you on this point. not much to say other than what you've said in this section.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Latch definitely exists for a reason, it is a vital and strong move for Olimar's repertoire. However at current knowledge of Olimar it is not where the majority of his damage comes from against strong opponents. If latch was so usable for damage, his incredible damage dealt on most other moves would be unreasonable and overpowered. Latch exists for much the same reasons as Peach's turnips. Latch is best used to create a favorable situation. I'm getting lazy and am going to copy paste something from the Is Olimar too powerful? thread.

In a high level game peach still used turnips, although they rarely directly caused damage to the opponent. Why? Cause turnips were a tool of all important spacing and mind games, they required attention and response of the opponent, even if the response was as little as staying still so the turnip thrown will miss them. That means that peach held in her hand the ability to force a decision from her opponent, how to deal with the turnip. If it meant moving, peach could anticipate them moving, and plan accordingly. Likewise if they shielded, that was knowledge, same as if they caught it, but then you knew you had to respond to it, but they couldn't do any normal A moves till thrown. In a sense it allowed the peach player to create a decision, and by using the opponents response to it she could follow it up with the advantage. This has been too theoretical, so take a simple example. One of the first easiest ways to win with peach is to jump, throw the turnip, and then dash after it. As the player shielded or moved or caught or whatever, a simple dash attack could usually punish their decision, or at least a grab. If you don't believe me try it out.
Will thrown pikmin fill the same role? I don't know yet, for the most part it seems they move too quickly to be used in the exact same way, not to mention i don't have the game and don't really know the amount of lag Oli has to know if hes fast enough to follow up like that. But i do see alternatives in the same idea. If you manage to latch someone, they have to decide what to do about it, take the damage, or attack/roll to lose it, effectively the same way peach forces a reaction with turnips.
So I don't expect pikmin thrown with SideB to be so much a staple for damage as a method to create an advantage for Olimer.

Nearly two weeks later, with more videos/experiences/details, I still feel the same way I did when i wrote this. Throwing a pikmin is a mind game que, which could ultimately lead to success and damage / map control / edge game / KO / winning the match. If players just sit there and take the damage from latch, well you should have no trouble defeating them, but no ones impressed by someone who beat the mentally challenged kid. I understand play style choices on a small scale are fluid and reflect the number/type of pikmin you currently have. I would argue though that throwing a couple white at the opponent to earn a free second, which you use to throw the rest of em off the level to get new may be your best option =P Given a choice though, I agree with you, if I had to choose between all white, or no pikmin at all, i guess i'll take the white *grumbles*

-True

Top Bottom