• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PLEASE, HELP ME LUIGI MAINS D:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
In both tournament and grinding on FG, I continually get bopped by the most basic Luigis this world has seen. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not: these players will just move forward, practically steps at a time, spamming fireballs (I saved a few replays and kept track, nearly 120 in a match on average out of 10 different Luigis) and fishing for grabs. And with Luigi, as we all know: grabs = free BIG BOY damage and reliable kill options.
So basically, I just get spammed on, then grabbed for free damage and kills. I have no idea how to counter it. The Sonic forums didn't know what to tell me other than to just power shield his fireballs, but it's easier said than done... and based on how organized the Luigi forums are, I figured you guys would be better help. Please, you guys are my only hope! How do I win, or even play against this?

No disrespect intended to the entirety of Luigi mains or Luigi as a character, I love them both. But when I get two stocked by a rinse-and-repeat player who just spams fireballs and only grabs.... well, I'm salty. <3 you guys

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Then play against me, even though my luigi is more so a punisher playstyle

Edit: On second thought, don't, because I don't really know much about Sonic's options

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
You need to take the powershielding advice more seriously. It's not always easy but you are just going to have to practice and get the timing down. His projectile isn't *that* fast that it should be a huge issue to do. This isn't robs laser we're taking about.

After that you should be able to use your sonic speed to get in there with a grab or dash attack. You can even try spacing out some fsmashes at higher %.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Fireballs stop Spin Dashes/Charges, so I get your point.

All you can do is to powershield them, sorry. Apparently, if you try to approach in the air you'll just get invincible head U-smashed. Homing Attack is obvious to see and he can easily roll backwards, and then grab you while you bounce on the ground or U-smash you.

My advice is to try to shield them and advance to him, bit by bit. Though, if he fishes for grabs, try rolling backwards or spotdodge, and punish him.

Sadly, this MU IMO is in Luigi's favor... 6-4 probably (Because Fireballs rock), so try to outplay the opposition and confuse him with your tricks.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Thanks for all the advice, guys! The MU really does appear to favor Luigi at the moment. Now it favors him even more because when I DO manage to get in with a spindash combo, it does less damage.

Top Bottom