• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Critique My ROB!!

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Pretty nice so far, just a couple things that I noticed:

Vs. Ice Climbers
-Watch your spacing/aggresiveness. One wrong move (unfortunately) can lead to an entire stock being lost as I'm sure you know by now. When you approached, I didn't see the IC player shielding or shieldgrabbing you as much as he could have, so keep that in mind when approaching.
-Use up-B to meteor cancel IC's fair if you get hit down from the sweetspot. I might be wrong about the percentage/knockbacks but I think you might have been able to survive the first Chaingrab>fair. When getting downthrown by the edge, holding left seems to make it harder for the sweetspot to connect since one of the ice climbers has to jump out more than normal

Vs. Snake
-A lot of your approaches were simply getting beaten out by the range of Snake's attacks. Two options for you are:
1) Until (and even after, to an extent) Snake learns how to powershield projectiles, use them to rack up plenty of damage. On a non-flat stage such as Delfino, it might be a little harder for Snake to powershield them anway compared to a linear, Smashville/FD stage.
2) Shield. Seriously, shielding is important here, kind of how Snake does for your projectiles. You don't want to be at his ftilt/uptilt's maximum range because you don't have a lot of options to hit him back. If you're not camping him, you need to get through his grenades and inside his wall of damage. Shielding his tilts and getting quick grabs/jabs gives you a completely different outcome than trying to fair a shield or trying to challenge his uptilt (especially from the air)

In General
-The shining moments were there but so were some matchup mistakes. Some things also got predictable. For instance, when you up-B offstage, you always held it until you could do a falling Neutral air to get to the ground. Against IC's (who should shieldgrab this), this will get you in more trouble than it's worth.
-Shielding is nice. Even against the ice climbers, powershield ice blocks from far away so you don't take damage and shield their side-B so you can punish it with a tilt (medium range away), downsmash (close), or projectile(far). Against Snake, use it to get in his face if he starts depending on tilts to keep you away. I didn't see much airdodging but you don't have to use it either- it's just another option for getting on the stage or avoiding something.
-On the ledge, getup attack has nice invincibility frames and range which knock people away before ROB is actually vulnerable but if you use it all the time, it can be shielded and punished. You can drop>jump>fair, airdodge, nair, or shoot projectiles, as well as roll, jump from the edge, or fly under and through the stage (on Delfino)

I liked how your ROB looks though, especially if you've only been lingering for a bit. Just try to mix things up a little more.

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys! Definitely things I should work on...
By ROB boards, do you mean these? Or something else I'm unaware of hahaha =P

Oh yeah... forgot to ask but, to meteor cancel those spikes at the end of the grabs, should I be rapidly pressing up-b or is there a specific timing I'll need to find?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I meant us....here the ones your on. Ummmmm......the smartest way to Meteor Cancel is when your getting hit by the spike SDI into either the bottom left or bottom right corner of the stage (depending on which side your on) then quickly press up-b....and there you have.
But, since ROB has one of the best Meteor Cancel's in the game theres no need to do that. Simple just press up-b.

Top Bottom