• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing with Ryu (On 3ds)

Bl4z1ng1k3

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crim
Switch FC
SW-5680-9935-1014
Yes, I'm currently working on playing with Ryu. I think i'm okay but i need tips on his combo game, and currently trying him online when i get the chance.

Shaymojack

Smash Rookie
First of all, I'm praying for you. I love Ryu but I can't imagine playing him on a 3DS, especially considering the c-stick on the models that have it can't be set to tilts instead of smash attacks.

When it comes to combos, it's best if you try to learn the way his moves work together rather than looking for set combos. Nair combos into itself usually around 40-65% and basically every other one of Ryu's moves in the right situations. Down throws are a great setup option from around 10-40%, you can follow up with up-air or uptilt to start combos or go for airdodge reads with fsmash. Those are just beginner's suggestions, there's a lot of room to be creative and optimize.

Look up combo videos and guides for inspiration, and practice, practice, practice. Maximizing Ryu's combos requires precise inputs and fast reaction to DI and SDI so you need to be sharp. Lab what you can, but on a 3DS it may be better to focus on easier quick damage combos than others that need more precise execution. Extended nair chains, for example, might be especially difficult on 3DS. If you do practice nair chains I'd recommend setting a shoulder button to jump if you can, it makes them much much easier.

https://discordapp.com/invite/0fejEEAK7YqfcCRO
That link should take you to the Ryu discord. There's a ton of valuable info in the resources channel and players who can help with any specific questions you have.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hello potential World Warrior. I've been playing Ryu for 1.75 years, mostly on 3ds. If ppssible, I recommend not doing this. A lot of combos and confirms will be dropped due to lag, delay, and lack of a cstick set to attack(which helps with securing TSRK kill confirms and the nair train to dair). If you have no alternative, I have one recommendation for a kill confirm punish/callout: use down+grab button (this inputs light dtilt)+TSRK motion+A. I've missed the utilt to TSRK punish so much due to lag and delay that I just go for this now. If you stick with Ryu for 3ds fg I'll answer more.

Bl4z1ng1k3

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crim
Switch FC
SW-5680-9935-1014
Hello potential World Warrior. I've been playing Ryu for 1.75 years, mostly on 3ds. If ppssible, I recommend not doing this. A lot of combos and confirms will be dropped due to lag, delay, and lack of a cstick set to attack(which helps with securing TSRK kill confirms and the nair train to dair). If you have no alternative, I have one recommendation for a kill confirm punish/callout: use down+grab button (this inputs light dtilt)+TSRK motion+A. I've missed the utilt to TSRK punish so much due to lag and delay that I just go for this now. If you stick with Ryu for 3ds fg I'll answer more.
So, I managed to play him really well back in Smash 4, Thanks so much for the tips. I really experimented with Ryu and percentage, I managed to pull alot of crazy stuff thanks to the small tips. I did eventually get into The Art of Ryu through Izaw and experimented with friends.

Top Bottom