• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing with Randoms in FG Struggles

Rinama

Smash Rookie
So I play with a friend most of the time and he is a lot better than majority of the people I meet in For Glory. I'm not on par with him, but I win some.

Now, I meet people on For Glory who I can SEE are BAD. (No offense). But for some reason I just do worse against them than I do against my friend. Even when they play the characters that my friend mains. I know what to expect; Rolls upon rolls upon rolls and all the silly mistakes. But I just can't seem to punish them or anything of a sort when against randoms and it's frustrating me.

Anyone going through the same thing and know any solutions?

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Yes, I see a lot of defensive people on FG too. But I almost never have trouble dealing with them.

What characters does he use?

Last edited:

Rinama

Smash Rookie
Yes, I see a lot of defensive people on FG too. But I almost never have trouble dealing with them.

What characters does he use?
He mains Roy. But he also uses Corrin, Falcon, Falco, Lucas, Yoshi, Marth, Toon Link and Ganon. Ganon is mostly just for fun though.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I have this same problem, probably because every stage is omega. but most importantly, we look down on for glory. we don't really respect the mode. making us play generally worse.

but when we play against our friends in friend rooms, we respect our friends enough to give our best.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It's definitely the mentality of assuming that you should be able to bop them that makes you play sluggish sometimes, at least in my experience. That said, not being able to punish excessive rolling or escaping repetitive tactics is something that is entirely in your control if you just try to learn and adapt instead of accepting that "oh that's just For Glory."

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Slow down your tempo. Defensive players punish aggressive playstyles. Get used to standing within your opponent's reach and doing nothing, they are just rolling after all. Wait for them to roll and punish. Work on your shield game as well. Quick reaction with shield allows you to play the same game as them but more effectively.

Pommgreen

Smash Rookie
It's the connection manipulation is that is extremely rampant online that is leading you to lose against players you know are nowhere near as good as your friend who you fight offline Rinama. Most online players basically make it so that they can't be wrong when you were right no matter how well you timed you actions or knew what they were going for far in advance, so it's easy to understand how you can be frustrated. My advice? Stick with playing the friend, you will learn a lot more from fighting him then you ever could fighting the scores of lunatics and morons that litter online.

Last edited:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
It's the connection manipulation is that is extremely rampant online that is leading you to lose against players you know are nowhere near as good as your friend who you fight offline Rinama. Most online players basically make it so that they can't be wrong when you were right no matter how well you timed you actions or knew what they were going for far in advance, so it's easy to understand how you can be frustrated. My advice? Stick with playing the friend, you will learn a lot more from fighting him then you ever could fighting the scores of lunatics and morons that litter online.
I believe that connection manipulation is far less commonplace than rumors would make it. I think a lot of players share their bandwidth in households with other users. Something as simple as a room mate or relative streaming video can slow down connections in certain households. Intentional connection manipulation is pretty obvious as it will usually occur in between stocks and matches; if the case, SD and move on to the next opponent. Over all win % isn't used to structure any kind of online ladder so you don't lose anything. No sense wasting time on unskilled opponents that have to exploit connections or Omega stages.

Pommgreen

Smash Rookie
Machii, I understand that sometimes lag is natural and that it can be unintentional for the reasons you listed, but most of the time it's not really like that. In fact what you just said in regards to intentional lagging is exactly what often happens online.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Machii, I understand that sometimes lag is natural and that it can be unintentional for the reasons you listed, but most of the time it's not really like that. In fact what you just said in regards to intentional lagging is exactly what often happens online.
But in a game without a competitive ladder? Just seems like a little too much effort for no gain. Tea-bagging after stocks is more effective in regards to trolling and much less work.

Top Bottom