• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Top/High Tiers... Would/Have you try/tried someone else out?

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Do you guys genuinely enjoy playing other characters in tournament outside of Samus? Or would like to try to but are scared of the result. Personally I use both Samus and Sheik in bracket. My losses mainly come from choosing Sheik, because she isn't at my Samus's caliber yet, but I'm still working on her to improve her. She is my secondary after all.

So I'm wondering, does anyone else in the Samus boards do the same? I know some of you play ZSS. But is she actually your secondary/main? Do you plasma whip her out in bracket? *badum tiss*

Or do you guys stick solely to Samus? Any characters you've considered playing in bracket because they are higher tiered and are super fun to play? One I've been wanting to try out is Luigi. He's SOOO much fun to play. I just enjoy getting them cyclone gimps you know? But I have yet to actually try him out in bracket.

Well guys, let me know your thoughts on this. Anyone you use or want to use that isn't Samus in a tournament setting? Have you done so already, or plan on it? I know I plan on trying out Luigi very soon. He's just too fun. :)

Let me know below! I'm posting this just for general discussion and because I want to chat with my fellow Samus mains. ;)

https://quetzle.github.io/smash-apps/tier/

^^^

Here is a solid tier list for reference if you need it. Go to the link, then on that page click the button named "share" and copy and paste this code provided into it over the one that is already there. (delete the one already there, then copy paste this one there.)

ssb4==undefined|14==S|0|15|19|6==undefined|14==A|1|31|48|52|55|29|1|10|28==B|2|39|53|54|37==undefined|14==C|3|38|5==D|4|2|44|20|3|36|8|17|33==E|5|40|23|9|47|46|24|35==undefined|14==F|6|51|26|7|11|49|50|30|41==G|7|22|42|13|25|12|43==undefined|14==H|8|45|27==I|9|32|4|21==J|10|18|16|14|58|57|56|34

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I usually go Mario, but I bring out Samus on MUs where I feel more comfortable with her (such as DK). However the reason I play the plumber isn't because of his tier placement but because he has been my main since Smash 64. When I pull out Samus, my opponents become surprised because most of them think "Samus is supposed to be bad". I'm still trying to get her closer to my Mario's level.

Jcsaenz1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4210-4404-7146
While I don't go to tournaments because there are none in my area. I've tried out top tiers and stuck with ZSS, and she really doesn't fit my play style, but she's so fun to play as, although I know that I wouldn't improve with her because her play style doesn't fit me. Personally, I'd go for a character that you love to play as and if you could adapt to its play style so that it could be as good as your main.

For now, I'm sticking with Toon Link and my secondaries, along with my Zelda, who is improving really quickly.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I've been playing around a bit with Dark Pit, contemplating whether I should put in the time to learn him a bit better. Not top tier I know but certainly considered better than Samus. The top tiers don't really interest me at all, although when I was fooling around with Sheik I was kinda disgusted at how easy it was to nail her BnB combos and 50/50's.

Last edited:

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I'm still working on my Bayonetta, but she isn't even close to bracket ready.
I know how you feel. I also feel like my Luigi isn't bracket ready. But you'll never know until you try.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
ssb4==S|0|15|19|6==A|1|31|48|52|55|29|1|10|28==B|2|39|53|54|37==C|3|38|5==D|4|2|44|20|3|36|8|17|33==E|5|40|23|9|47|46|24|35==F|6|51|26|7|11|49|50|30|41==G|7|22|42|13|25|12|43|4==H|8|45|27==I|9|32|21|18==J|10|16|14|58|57|56|34

(I'm posting this here for reasons. Don't mind it much attention.)

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I haven't had the opportunity of seeing how my Samus fairs in a Tourney setting, but as far as the offline competitive experience I do have with my 2 friends who are skilled enough to compete with me fairly well I tend to play around with Cloud. I use him to recharge my brain a bit. He's less technical than Samus by a long way so I can relax a bit. But I still use Samus primarily because shes my favorite. ( and when I watch Depth, Kay Jay, and Danish play her I cant help but get pumped and swear to one day get to that level of Samus epicness) Which I should maybe use Cloud more against my friend's Mewtwo given he has no answer for him at all ( 8 three stock matches in a row where I didnt drop a stock says a lot) but meh.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I have ZSS as a secondary, on a side note I always find it a little funny when I lose as ZSS I can just switch to Samus and just beat the ever living tar out of someone. There is also a little dabbling with Lucina.

Last edited:

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
^Lol what can I say man. The hacking life is fun! Have you guys seen what people are doing though? Someone swapped Elec Man's assist trophy model onto Megaman! Seeing that hyped me to see if someone will do the same with Dark Samus to Samus.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Also, JAZZ_ JAZZ_ I've been utilizing more bomb spike setups like how Danish does them. They are sooo good against many recoveries!

chris1855

Smash Cadet
NNID
mario1855
I main zss and palutena. Secondary Samus, Lucina, WFT, and Zelda. I can all use them pretty well especially my mains. Putting more work into my secondaries right now.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Is there any way to edit a thread's title?

Last edited:

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
Im not super interested in any top or high tier characters atm, but ive been spending a lot of time learning Wario. And im goign to do a few months worth of tournaments almost solo wario to see what would happen

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Samus will always be my main, but I do like characters like Diddy and DK as alternates. My favorite higher tier/top tier characters are Captain Falcon and ZSS, respectively.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Im not super interested in any top or high tier characters atm, but ive been spending a lot of time learning Wario. And im goign to do a few months worth of tournaments almost solo wario to see what would happen
Duuude, sounds legit. I personally love Wario as a character and really enjoy using him in smash a lot too. I have never used mine in tournament though. But in friendlies I've been told to have a really good Wario. :p

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I've been playing around a bit with Cloud and honestly I'm kinda starting to like his playstyle. I'm really thinking about investing some more time into him to see where it takes me.

Universe303

Smash Rookie
I don't really play top tiers other than :4mario:,and:4ryu: (Still learning) I would play Cloud if the bug on my Wii U that won't let me access the Eshop gets patched or if I get a new one. Well other than that I do play :4myfriends: which is why I want Cloud...

Last edited:

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I don't really play top tiers other than :4mario:,and:4ryu: (Still learning) I would play Cloud if the bug on my Wii U that won't let me access the Eshop gets patched or if I get a new one. Well other than that I do play :4myfriends: which is why I want Cloud...
Ike is REALY good with enough investment. Definitely a good secondary to have. Same for Mario and Ryu. Though, Ryu needs more dedication.

WoolMoth

Smash Rookie
I usually play :4fox:but I like playing :4samus: against heavy/strong hitters like :4myfriends:,:4dk:,:4falcon:,:4ryu: and such. Mainly because I have a habit of choking and dying early as fox against them and Samus can do decent against them being able to slow down the pace much more effectively and she does well the she can do that. That being said I switch between the two mainly as a player counter pick because some people cannot deal with fast offensive pressure well while others cannot deal with slow defensive pressure.

GemZ

Smash Rookie
I picked up Corrin because all the options they have reminded me of what Samus could have been.

But then they nerfed Corrin and Mega buffed Samus so I came crawling back.

I also play a bit of Mewtwo because I mean cmon... IT'S MEWTWO.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
But then they nerfed Corrin and Mega buffed Samus so I came crawling back.
The Corrin nerfs were not all that game changing, and let's be honest the Samus nerfs aren't going to move her all that far up the tier list despite how good they are. They certainly didn't "mega buff" her, more like they fixed a couple of janky moves and gave her slightly less lag on a few others.

I was trying to learn Cloud for a while but I never really dropped Samus even before the patch. I still do play Cloud occasionally, I find the mind games you can play with a charged limit are similar to having a charge shot on board with Samus, but the buffs to Samus have pretty much kept me faithful for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom