• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing the edge/corner game?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I feel like my corner/edge pressure needs some work. I think I become a bit too impatient and greedy when an opponent is shielding by the edge. I have full stage control but I don't feel like I know entirely what to do with it. Usually I'll try and wait out the shield then go in at a time I think they'll drop it, knocking them clean off stage. However other times they'll just roll and the situation will be reversed. What kind of things should I be looking out for and/or paying attention to when this situation occurs? For argument's sake, let's say it's another Fox on Battlefield. What would be the most efficient way to handle this kind of situation?
Any and all advice pertaining to playing the edge/corner game is greatly appreciated!

Chocodiamondz

Smash Rookie
When an opponent is at the edge with his shield up the most optimal option would probably to grab --> a combo, or grab into an f-throw/b-throw into an edge-guard. But we play humans, and they adapt. When they see you running often they may role or spot dodge. Which you would combat by baiting out the the out of shield option, then punishing it.

What you are doing you are not a bad way to pressure, you are pressuring the opponent just by being near them. Your problem is your spacing, you aren't spacing to both cover the role and still provide immediate pressure. You should try to stay close enough to the opponent to not get grabbed and still cover the roll. Another option to counter the roll toward the stage is to dash-dance, close to the opponents shield. N-air wave-shining back works well too, to bait out some out-shield option. When someone is near the ledge, I personally love to jump to a platform and shield-drop bair.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
You dictate a majority of the situation when you have them in the corner. You don't have to worry about them doing any sort of option that requires retreating (or at least not as much. The ledge is still a pretty busted mechanic in some matchups). Assuming no prior info, the onus is on him to get out of there. He can go up or toward you. As long as you're aware he can go up, it's not too hard to react to that with a bair/nair. If he wants to run straight at you with his own aerial, you can beat it with an uptilt or a stationary aerial of your own (stationary or slightly retreating aerials are more likely to beat their approaching equivalents). No need to dive his position too hastily, so if he rolls it's right into your arms.

Once a bit of information is exchanged, these rules become softer and dependent on player tendencies, but it's a great starting point.

Top Bottom