• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

playing that one campy dude

shaxstax

Smash Cadet
i have a money match coming up this weekend and i need to know how to face a campy fox that make you play his game . hes not that good but i still have trouble playing these types of people regardless im planning on going falco . should i just out camp him with lazers ? give your input on how you deal with playing campy people .

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I think falco wins if fox isn't approaching, so I would just spam lasers. Falco's lasers can do a lot more than fox's lasers even if he's more consistent at hitting them. Just don't get frustrated and run straight into a trap.

SavantGardener

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm certain an aggressive Falco would still be able to approach safely with short hop lasers or dairs and make better conversions than a campy fox would.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
You could take him anywhere with platforms and the just platform camp him out. Then when you have to face the lazers give him some of that SHL. Falco's is arguably more annoying.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
If he is camping then use your shine's secondary use, reflecting. Just sit in shine till he comes over, or spam SHL.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
If he is camping then use your shine's secondary use, reflecting. Just sit in shine till he comes over, or spam SHL.
You gain literally nothing by reflecting fox's lasers. That just gives him an easy chance to get a huge punish. Plz, no. Just no.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
You gain literally nothing by reflecting fox's lasers. That just gives him an easy chance to get a huge punish. Plz, no. Just no.
I don't know why, but I was automatically thinking it was on FD with a very long stage. I realize now that on pretty much any other stage this would be a bad idea.

i have a money match coming up this weekend and i need to know how to face a campy fox that make you play his game . hes not that good but i still have trouble playing these types of people regardless im planning on going falco . should i just out camp him with lazers ? give your input on how you deal with playing campy people .
Not sure if you finished yet, but there was stuff that I think is useful going forward. The reward for simply trying to get a combo going is far greater than trying to camp out someone in percentage. Again, your goal should be to try setting up some situation that gets you that combo starter.

If you get Fox once with a variety of starters (falco has an awful lot) you can pretty much attempt to 0-death fox and never have to worry about the camping. So, the best long term practice I would say by the sounds of it is making sure your punishments are as good as they can be. This is not simply saying get the best percentage you can out of it. Your goal is to push them off the stage. This means choosing a series of actions which gets them closer to offstage. Sometimes you have to rack up percentage to get enough launch to push them offstage. After that though each move should try to be chosen to prevent them from ever getting back to center stage and hopefully off the stage. If you can finish it with a straight-up KO at the time great, otherwise, you keep your juggling and edgeguarding doing until the stock is gone.

Therefore, you have to worry little about camping for most of the match if you can do that well. That should be the long term goal.

For the short term, I cannot really see how you think of the game along with the fox player. There is something I might say about it, but without some video or something I cannot really tell what is the best thing to say.

shaxstax

Smash Cadet
hey guys thanks for the feedback unfortunately i did lose pree bad i got 3-0 i fell for a lot of his tricks and i ended up paying for it . but going forward i will take all of this into account. ps if anyone wants to go watch the set and tell me what i could do better i would appreciate it . it starts at 14:41 http://www.twitch.tv/chasey1337/b/683995336

mrdoingboing

Smash Cadet
When I was watching the set, I noticed you were fsmashing pretty liberally. A lot of the time it would result in you getting shield grabbed, and we all know how devastating it is to get grabbed by fox in this matchup. When you approached with lasers, a lot of the time your opponent would just sit in shield and wait for you to go for an unsafe aerial or fsmash. You could probably get around that by going for a low aerial on shield into pressure, or just grab him. I also noticed that you were mainly going for backthrow off of your grabs, probably trying to catch a ftilt or fsmash on DI in. In my opinion, up throw is the best for guaranteed followups, and down throw can be a really good mixup tool since it leaves Fox in a standing state rather than a knockdown. Hopefully you got something out of this. Use this experience to improve :)

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
When I was watching the set, I noticed you were fsmashing pretty liberally. A lot of the time it would result in you getting shield grabbed, and we all know how devastating it is to get grabbed by fox in this matchup. When you approached with lasers, a lot of the time your opponent would just sit in shield and wait for you to go for an unsafe aerial or fsmash. You could probably get around that by going for a low aerial on shield into pressure, or just grab him. I also noticed that you were mainly going for backthrow off of your grabs, probably trying to catch a ftilt or fsmash on DI in. In my opinion, up throw is the best for guaranteed followups, and down throw can be a really good mixup tool since it leaves Fox in a standing state rather than a knockdown. Hopefully you got something out of this. Use this experience to improve :)
Yeah, I agree with a lot of the things that were said here. F-Smash is a good mixup but it seemed like it was a little too relied upon. The other thing I'd say is in the second match on FD he not only did he get you on some unsafe aerials but also on a couple of dash attacks which (especially if the guy is sitting in shield waiting for a shield grab) are fairly easy to react to and punish.

Secondly, you seem to have really good movement but it's not really being used in a way that could maximize it's potential. It seems like if you work out some ways to use it as a bait then it would become quite useful. I noticed that it was really only used at a distance and when up close or on a smaller stage it was used less. Maybe work on using quick movements up close to bait an attack then evade and punish? Which brings me to the third point:

Punishes dude. You would occasionally get a good string going but would drop it because (correct me if I am wrong) you wouldn't know a place to throw out a move or follow up. Falco lives and dies off punishes and it seemed like that's an area that could maybe use some tweaking. The big difference I saw between you and this guy was that he punished harder and was able to react during his combos to make them more dynamic and secure more percent.

Lastly, I think some problems arise when he platform camps you because there are times when he is on a platform right above you and you both stand still. I think with these moments he's able to collect himself and find a way down. A good way to pressure on platforms without going up there and potentially losing stage control is stick to the middle and throw out some fairs near the inside edge of the platform. I find that it reaches fairly (<-- no pun intended lol) well and definitely doesn't give them any free time to think.

Anyway, I am a bit of a scrub but I hope this helps.

Top Bottom