• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Sheik and Handling Spamming Projectiles

RevEvolution

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I'm not exactly new here but this is the first thread that I've posted. I have been trying to get into the tournament scene but I know I still have a long way to go before I'm satisfied with the results. Playing Sheik requires that one be on top of their game against the high tiered characters and players because at most you are really only going to be even or worst, at a disadvantage for most match ups. That aside I love Sheik and if I'm going anywhere I would want to do it with Sheik. I've watched Izaw's videos because he is a great Sheik player and has helped me a lot with my own play style but I find that my biggest problem is this:

When a character is spamming projectiles like no other (such as Falco's laser, pit's arrows, etc) I get flustered and I have a very hard time suddenly doing my tech skills. I no longer DACUS accurately, or perform the very important grab releases reliably, and I just have a horrible time approaching. Other then gathering more experience are their any reliable ways that other SHeik mains have learned to deal with pressure from projectiles. I obviously duck against the projectiles I can and I powershield, but all it takes is a barrage of projectile spamming for me to slowly descend into mediocrity. Any help would be appreciated.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
It's honestly what you already mentioned. It sounds to me that you let yourself get flustered just by spammed projectiles and your tech skill suffers for it. All you need to do is relax and manage. They will spam until it doesn't work, so just take your time, and try to catch on to their habits on how they spam. Once you start reading their habits, try to capitalize. If they adjust, rinse and repeat the projectile management. We have a nice projectile too so don't be afraid to just throw some needles out there.

Hope this helps!

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Get the percent lead and let them time themselves out IMO.

Also get a friend to learn a really projectile-heavy character so you can practice against them in friendlies and get used to dealing with lots of projectiles (Falco, ZSS, ROB, Toon Link, Pit are good examples, I guess, maybe Pikachu too).

The only reason I don't have issues with projectiles is my best friend played Pikachu so I had to learn how to deal with Tjolt spam and since I played ROB I had no excuse to complain about projectiles.

RevEvolution

Smash Rookie
Those are some good ideas. I think practice is probably going to be my best friend here. It's pretty easy to get flustered. I've tried all the ideas suggested but a lot of the time I don't get the lead right away so I'm forced to approach in the 2nd and 3rd stock. I usually spend the first stock judging how a person plays and adapting from there but I guess I need to get in there a bit faster.

Dcold

Smash Lord
If you're up a stock, as dett said, let them time themselves out. Vs Falco I just wait them out until they get bored of not hitting me, and then actually attack, or running PS them and force them to do something -> punish. Playing against projectiles isn't half as annoying as playing against those that don't do anything.

Just walk forward and shield them or crouch under them.

Those are sheik's best options to getting projectile camped, with a little bit of practice power shielding Falco lasers becomes really easy. Pit is a bit trickier cause he can angle them a bit, so what i like to do is walk forward and mix up crouching, short hopping, shielding and just walking forward more to close the gap.

Top Bottom