• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

playing safe with cloud

wesele18

Smash Rookie
i have recently been learning could and i have been struggling in neutral i always end up getting shield grabbed when i attempt to pressure with ac dair any advice for neutral with lb and regular cloud?

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
use AC dair as reactionary pressure when you predict they are trying to approach instead of an approach tool. charge limit as a way to force approach. If you are getting camped, shield cancel limit charge and go for grab in to SH nair or some other follow up. People will try to shield grab this character, even though his grabs aren't that scary - any stage controls is good and can open up edgeguarding situations and other option selects.

YP9

Smash Rookie
If you notice you are getting shield grabbed when you dair, try to land behind our opponent. Usually they won't turn around and grab, they'll ftilt or dash attack instead. Then you can land and shield or go for a grab yourself.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I find it best to play a reactionary game with Cloud. Simply charging your limit forces the opponent to do something, because no one wants to fight a faster Cloud that can KO you at 60%. Cloud should almost never be in the position to approach an opponent; his design makes him naturally play this way.

If you notice you are getting shield grabbed when you dair, try to land behind our opponent. Usually they won't turn around and grab, they'll ftilt or dash attack instead. Then you can land and shield or go for a grab yourself.
Because of the hitbox, D-air is a move that you can safely use against beginners and low-level players, but you won't be getting away with it for long. A good player will start turning around, and a good player will know that while you are using D-air you are vulnerable to the sides and you can suffer landing lag. And you can't possibly get away with that if you play against a fast character or a character with enough range to punish a cross-up D-air.

I see a lot of Clouds approaching or trying to land with D-air, but I don't know why. It's not an approach move and should rarely be landed with. It's better as a punish or as an edge-guard move.

Last edited:

Yσנιмιтѕυ

NNID
yojimitsu
I find it best to play a reactionary game with Cloud. Simply charging your limit forces the opponent to do something, because no one wants to fight a faster Cloud that can KO you at 60%. Cloud should almost never be in the position to approach an opponent; his design makes him naturally play this way.

Because of the hitbox, D-air is a move that you can safely use against beginners and low-level players, but you won't be getting away with it for long. A good player will start turning around, and a good player will know that while you are using D-air you are vulnerable to the sides and you can suffer landing lag. And you can't possibly get away with that if you play against a fast character or a character with enough range to punish a cross-up D-air.

I see a lot of Clouds approaching or trying to land with D-air, but I don't know why. It's not an approach move and should rarely be landed with. It's better as a punish or as an edge-guard move.
there's an auto cancel window for dair and it's not hard to get the timing right to have absolutely 0 landing lag frames. this is perhaps cloud's best approach option. dunno what rock you're living under

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
there's an auto cancel window for dair and it's not hard to get the timing right to have absolutely 0 landing lag frames. this is perhaps cloud's best approach option. dunno what rock you're living under
It only has a hitbox below him, you can easily hit Cloud out of it in the side, and it is unsafe on block (-16 to -20 frames). It's a good move alright (better with limit because of the increased movement), a great wall to put out and punishes opponents trying to chase Cloud, but it has weaknesses. I see why it's a good approach, the knockback leads into juggles, but it isn't risk free.

Edit: in your own words;
use AC dair as reactionary pressure when you predict they are trying to approach instead of an approach tool.

Last edited:

Yσנιмιтѕυ

NNID
yojimitsu
It only has a hitbox below him, you can easily hit Cloud out of it in the side, and it is unsafe on block (-16 to -20 frames). It's a good move alright (better with limit because of the increased movement), a great wall to put out and punishes opponents trying to chase Cloud, but it has weaknesses. I see why it's a good approach, the knockback leads into juggles, but it isn't risk free.

Edit: in your own words;
cross up makes the -16/-20 on block irrelevant and like i said there's no landing lag if you get the timing right

Top Bottom