• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Online Isn't Fun For Average Players

Frostwolf24

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get better at this game but its literally impossible when every player I get matched with in For Glory is ten times my skill level. (I would rather not play For Fun because it is quite the opposite.) Why is there no skill level system? It would be so easy to implement and make the game actually fun for people who don't play 24/7... I haven't won one match in like my last 12 or so because there is literally nobody my skill level to play with.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
For Glory is just the subdivision that adheres more to competitive play. I honestly doubt Nintendo would add a skill ranking system just for this game as we're lucky we got the mode at all.

As for getting paired up aganist more skilled players, just Keep playing. It's going to suck of course but if you really want to get better at the game constantly playing those "24/7" players will help in the long run as long as you take things from it.

If you play on 3ds and want a sparring partner you can feel free to add me.

Frostwolf24

Smash Rookie
I don't have a 3ds I appreciate it though. And while I see what you're saying, I'm not going to learn anything from never even being able to land an attack on someone. It would be different if I lost every game but it was at least kinda close. Most of it stems from me just being mad but its still got a point.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
If most matches tend to end close then it's likely you're not as far behind your opponents then you might think. If you're able to take a stock off and can come close to taking a second one, you know you're on the right track.

As for not behing able to hit people, watch what they do to YOU. Everyone has a pattern, even the good players.

If they are avoiding you when you get in, when do they do it? How do they react? Are you using a predictable way to get in?

When you finally get the hit, how do they react and try to dodge or defend? Are they dodging immediately? Do they roll away or spot dodge?

Losing aganist skilled players sucks when you don't understand why but fighting them can help you level up a lot faster. If you fight one, don't worry about winning or losing. Just watch how they play and try to take away what you can from it. Record replays of your fights and watch them. Soon you'll notice the matches to get a lot closer the more you play.

Perhaps this isn't the answer you're looking for but I think it's the best advice to be given. Just keep playing.

You'll get it.

Frostwolf24

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the way I probably came off... I've been constantly reading and watching videos to try to learn and playing a lot but I just can't seem to get the hang of things most good players consider basics. Hopefully it comes to me soon.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You pretty much have down what you need to do. All good things come with time. The best you can do is take the ass-whoopings and see it as a learning experience instead of getting frustrated.

I totally feel you through, when I got my Wii U I was coming off an almost 4 year competitive Smash dry spell - I took the beatings and felt the frustration but I feel as if I am doing a lot better and winning a lot more.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
A silver lining I can point out is that the good thing about getting mixed in with the top players is that you'll be less likely to develop bad habits than if you only get to play with people your skill level. I've had it happen in other online games with tier systems, like LoL and the old Warcraft 3, where I'd learn something that worked with players my level but once I leveled up in their system what I had learned got me destroyed. Once you have the bad habits, it becomes much more difficult to brake them. Most of the top players got where they are by doing what everyone else has recommended; watching, waiting and adapting. You get to reap the rewards much faster than they did.

I'm sure if there was a more integrated way to encourage coaching than this forum, it would help a bit (much like most physical sports). Unfortunately, I don't see technology being that accommodating as of what's available right now. Searching out these forums is a great step in the right direction, taking that into account.

Oh, and back on topic. The reverse will also happen from time to time. I've been trying to find good players to improve my skills against and mostly get greener opponents over the last two weeks. It hasn't helped me improve the way I wanted, but I've been trying to do the reverse, not just destroy a target but bait out specific combos that I know can be avoided to see if they improve. Who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks or months I'll have a new rival to have friendlies with.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the way I probably came off... I've been constantly reading and watching videos to try to learn and playing a lot but I just can't seem to get the hang of things most good players consider basics. Hopefully it comes to me soon.
It's fine. I've been there before. Just keep at it.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Yeah when I first started I lost more then I won too. Just keep trying, if you want you can add me I try to play a lot of characters so some of them arent as good as my mains.

Top Bottom