• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Playing on an OG 3DS...

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Will anyone else be playing on the OG model of the 3DS? I know that a lot of people upgraded to the XL, and all of the footage of Smash 3DS are from the XL model, and I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the game with the XL in mind.

I just hope that the smaller screen won't hinder my enjoyment of the game too much. I don't really feel the need to upgrade, since my 3DS works fine.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
I'm playing on the OG 3DS as well and I doubt the smaller screen will hinder your enjoyment significantly. If anything, it's like playing a game on a smaller TV.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Whenever I get to fixing my old 3DS, I'll play Smash 3DS on a first model 3DS. The R Button is jammed and won't stop being recorded by the game as being pressed. Any quick solutions for this?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yea, I'm not "upgrading" to an XL when America doesn't have a Fire Emblem version of the XL.

May upgrade to a N3DS next year, but for now, I see no major reason the regular one would be inferior unless you just really need battery life and a bigger screen.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Does OG mean Original? How did that abbreviation ever happen? I know some rapper said OG, I guess for Original Gangster, but OG for Original is weird. Wouldn't Org be better? Or Orig? But then why not just go ahead and spell the full word?

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Does OG mean Original? How did that abbreviation ever happen? I know some rapper said OG, I guess for Original Gangster, but OG for Original is weird. Wouldn't Org be better? Or Orig? But then why not just go ahead and spell the full word?
You were right the first time and I think you're overthinking that rather than staying relevant.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
You were right the first time and I think you're overthinking that rather than staying relevant.

Probably Training or some quick Smashes for me to test out my old mains and get a feel for Mega, Pac, Rosalina etc and whoever else catches my interest assuming they're unlocked. Then story mode as the one I'm most hyped to play as. (Spoiler: Mega Man. I'm pretty damn sure it'll be Mega Man.)
Ironically, you seem to be in the wrong thread.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'll be using an OG Japanese 3DS... until the game comes stateside and then I'll switch over to my English XL. I'll also be using the Japanese one to test the waters and see if I want to buy myself a Circle Pad Pro for my XL.

Because it's boring. If someone wants to try and make people smirk by calling their 3DS the "Original Gangsta," let them be. It's nice to see some personality in topic titles instead of just boring things like "Playing on a first edition 3DS."

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Just call it the vanilla 3DS.

I've had my vanilla 3DS for 3 years now and from the amount of playtime on it, I decided that it has had a good run and decided to get a XL for Smash 4's western release. I already have it but I likely would of stuck with the former handheld if the battery wasn't slowly dying.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm playing on an original/vanilla/gangsta/classic 3DS.

I don't upgrade unless there's an actual advancement in some way. Or rather, games that cannot be played on the previous model (so, I skipped DS Lite, but got DSi, and skipped DSi XL). So, I will not be upgrading until the New 3DS comes out, and even then, I am sticking with the smaller one, because of the SFC buttons & face plates.

The only game I ever had an issue with (and this was a demo) was Rayman Origins. I thought it looked absolutely abysmal on the old 3DS screen.

I guess it depends on how much it zooms out. I was going to compare to Kirby Fighters, which I think looks absolutely fine on the screen, but that's always zoomed at the same spot. Doesn't zoom out. Although, in the main game, you wind up way in the background sometimes, and I had no problem with that. So I am assuming it will look fine.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I'm going to be playing it on the OG 3DS I bought day one... At least until I get a N3DS next year.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
I've had the original 3DS since the start, and I haven't had any problems yet (other than the headphone jack not working, but I'll live). Screen size was never an issue for me, so I'll assume the same will go with Sm4sh.

Also, other than Original Gangsta, I always thought of OG as Original Generation, but that's just me.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I am going to be playing with original 3ds and might consider upgrading to the NEW 3DS.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I'm not "upgrading" to an XL when America doesn't have a Fire Emblem version of the XL.

May upgrade to a N3DS next year, but for now, I see no major reason the regular one would be inferior unless you just really need battery life and a bigger screen.
Why can't you just get a fire emblem decal for it?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why can't you just get a fire emblem decal for it?
It just wouldn't be the same :(

Nah but really, a friend of mine had a decal, and I'm not sure if it was because he applied it poorly or what, but it was just kinda ugly instead of natural looking like the pattern on the real deal. I've considered it, but especially with the New coming out some day, I'll just wait for that. If I recall, the faceplate is replacable? I might be able to find a FE one of those, too.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Keeping mines for now. Unless it breaks into a million pieces or something, then I'll buy a newer model. But I don't think it's worth to shell out 200 dollars for features I'll barely use (aside from C-Stick).

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
It just wouldn't be the same :(

Nah but really, a friend of mine had a decal, and I'm not sure if it was because he applied it poorly or what, but it was just kinda ugly instead of natural looking like the pattern on the real deal. I've considered it, but especially with the New coming out some day, I'll just wait for that. If I recall, the faceplate is replacable? I might be able to find a FE one of those, too.
Decalgirl (I think that was the name) has really great decals, including the option to choose between matte and glosse

Unless of course you're already getting a new 3DS. Then it's just best to wait for that FE one

Last edited:

Jonney

Smash Cadet
NNID
hawkeye721
3DS FC
4253-3982-7075
I'll play on my OG 3ds until I eventually get the new 3ds, I'm not particularly worried about screen size.

vegaspoker

Smash Journeyman
Yup i'll be using the gangsta 3ds, via not wanting to shell out a lot of money for a slightly bigger screen. I was a bit worried at first with every demo being on an XL, but in the past i've played melee on small tvs and it never hindered my play or enjoyment.

I think at most, smash run chars might be a bit hard to see, but as far as the set size stages go I don't see any problems.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I think it will be hard on a OG 3DS. XL Screen is 90% bigger, so the difference between the two is HUGE.
Playing on a small TV is different. Compare the gangster 3DS to a 'small' TV and you will see that the 3ds screen is alot smaller.

This game does seem like it was made with the XL in mind. It has some good Anti Aliasing so there wont be much jaggies on a XL.

vegaspoker

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be hard on a OG 3DS. XL Screen is 90% bigger, so the difference between the two is HUGE.
Playing on a small TV is different. Compare the gangster 3DS to a 'small' TV and you will see that the 3ds screen is alot smaller.

This game does seem like it was made with the XL in mind. It has some good Anti Aliasing so there wont be much jaggies on a XL.
It's all relative. Obviously a small TV screen is still bigger than the 3ds screen, but I was never sat 10 inches away from the TV screen like I am with my 3ds. I can remember playing on a small CRT TV sitting like 6 feet away, with 3 of my pals on the Hyrule Castle stage. There was always one joker on the opposite end of the map and it caused everything to zoom out hugely, but as I said it never once hindered my enjoyment or capabilities.

I don't think it will be hard on a gangsta 3ds at all, but of course the bigger screen is better if you have it.

Tommo2304

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while but I decided to start posting :D

I've currently got a vanilla 3DS, but I'm really considering an XL, pretty much just because of Smash. I've been hearing all over the place that the game is harder to play on the smaller screen of the original. Certainly not unplayable by any means, but Smash is my favourite game series ever and I just think I should upgrade to get the better experience...

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
I'm on the OG 3DS, too, and I've got no worries about it at all. The XL's too big for my hands anyways.

Knighto

Smash Rookie
I find the OG 3DS to have a much crisper image quality, and I've never had a problem with the screen size being too small. I don't understand the worries for it other than the console itself being too small for some people's hands.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I'll also be playing on an original 3DS. While I think the bigger screens would be nice, I really don't have the money to upgrade. I've also played through a ton of games on the thing and haven't had a screen problem yet, so I think (and hope) that I'll be fine.

I've also had my 3DS for three years, but I had to send it in for repairs earlier this year so I think its got a couple more years of life in it from that.

Last edited:

LowCarbs

Smash Cadet
I'm using the vanilla 3ds, but I'm a little concerned it's gonna break down from all the stress smash puts on a controller.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Org? Thats dangerously close to something else. Orig? Might as well write/type out the entire word. OG is fine.

Anyways, my 3DS is going down into the dumps. Its been 3 years, and Im thinking of getting the Smash 3DS XL for this. It would be perfect

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'll be playing on my launch 3DS as well. I plan to ditch the 3DS version, for the most part, as soon as the Wii U version comes out. So even if the screen's size is a hindrance, I won't have to put up with it for very long.

D

Deleted member

I'll be playing Smash 3DS on my OG 3DS for now.. but I'll eventually upgrade to a better version of the handheld.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Org? Thats dangerously close to something else. Orig? Might as well write/type out the entire word. OG is fine.

Anyways, my 3DS is going down into the dumps. Its been 3 years, and Im thinking of getting the Smash 3DS XL for this. It would be perfect
Maybe I'm getting old, I've only recently started to remember what TIL, MFW/MRW mean. When did OG come into being? That's an odd abbreviation, taking a letter from the middle of the word and just putting it with the first. The word Beginning could be BN, Fiance could be FN. OG can go completely over someone's head without exact context. This is a forum not a cellphone text chat :p

But on topic, I had a normal 3DS for a while, it gets uncomfortable over extended hours of play, especially with more action oriented games. The XL is a bit of an improvement, but the discomfort is still there. Maybe you could buy a grip or something.

In terms of screen resolution, the bigger screen is nice, but it's being stretched from the original 3DS resolution. I think Smash will look good on both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom