• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Playing on a normal 3DS VS the XL

Dan

Smash Lord
Just played the demo (on my standard 3DS). My first reaction was "Damn! This is small!". It's definitely gonna take some getting used to playing on this screen after all these years of smashing on the big screen. For the amount of hours people devote to Smash, I could see a lot of people getting eye strain playing on this screen, but the graphics are crystal-clear and beautiful; beyond exceeded my expectations.

Anyway, for those of you who have played on both the normal screen and the XL screen, which do you prefer? I definitely want a bigger screen, but is the XL really going to make that much more of a difference?

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Played on my Original 3DS with the demo yesterday and my XL came today, actually! It's nice to have, but I didn't go "wow what a difference" when starting it up on my XL. That should sum it up for you. I was perfectly fine with the original 3DS size, the only thing that bothered me was when it had to zoom out really far. I haven't played more than 1v1s on the demo, but I'd imagine that if it has to zoom out more often, one might be more insistent on a bigger screen. I prefer the bigger screen, but if you can't afford to spend on an XL, you should skip it. I don't think it's exactly necessary.

xTeru

Smash Cadet
XL just feels better tbh, not only look wise but control wise too. I get cramps from the original 3ds

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Visually, my regular 3DS is fine. From a control stance, I could see the XL being better, but not vital. I ease the likelihood of cramps by using shield-grab inputs instead of the L button, so my hands aren't quite as contorted.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Just played the demo (on my standard 3DS). My first reaction was "Damn! This is small!"
Honestly, my first reaction was "Damn! This is better than I thought it was going to look!"

I was super worried about it looking small/hard to see and the controls feeling weird, since I played the demo at Nintendo World Store on a 3DS XL.

I honestly felt like I was just jumping right into a TV smash and didn't even notice how 'small' it was. Looked great to me. I mean, obviously the XL screen is bigger, so it will look bigger, but I didn't feel like it was a necessity anymore.

Dan

Smash Lord
Honestly, my first reaction was "Damn! This is better than I thought it was going to look!"

I was super worried about it looking small/hard to see and the controls feeling weird, since I played the demo at Nintendo World Store on a 3DS XL.

I honestly felt like I was just jumping right into a TV smash and didn't even notice how 'small' it was. Looked great to me. I mean, obviously the XL screen is bigger, so it will look bigger, but I didn't feel like it was a necessity anymore.
The game is beautiful. I guess my problem is just with the screen being small, something out of the game's control.

the8thark

Smash Lord
The question is if you already own a small DS should you get the XL knowing the new 3DS is around the corner?

the8thark

Smash Lord
What's the difference with the new 3DS vs. the XL?
  • More hardware memory so you can take screen shots for Miiverse with the new 3DS
  • Different button layout
  • More buttons
  • Amiibo support without an extra hardware peripheral
  • More I can't think of now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The question is if you already own a small DS should you get the XL knowing the new 3DS is around the corner?
Not really. There's been a few moments where I've still thought 'damn that's hard to see' when the camera zooms out. Unless you absolutely have to buy one, don't. Just wait and get a New 3DS XL.

God that name is dumb.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
  • More hardware memory so you can take screen shots for Miiverse with the new 3DS
  • Different button layout
  • More buttons
  • Amiibo support without an extra hardware peripheral
  • More I can't think of now.
Don't forget it is faster and supports HTML5 in the Web Browser. You can already take screenshots on Miiverse through the regular 3DS.

shaneknows

Smash Rookie
I agree with waiting for the new 3DS. The regular model will be slightly bigger and the xl will be the size of the current xl model. The regular 3ds feels comfortable enough to me now and I feel in tournaments the larger screen won't be as big of a deal if you are mainly doing 1v1.

Of course if you are not on any sort of budget go get that smash 3ds xl when it comes out.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
My thumbs have been hurting playing on the original 3DS. I'm planning on getting either the Smash XL or the NES controller XL (they are too cool to resist!). Hope the extra real-estate helps. I'm fine with the screen size though. It's all about comfort and control for me. Anyone using the 2DS?

As for waiting for the new 3DS… I don't consider sometime in 2015 to be right around the corner. I know having the c-stick will help a lot, but it's too far out for me not to upgrade (especially with the cool Smash and NES limited edition models). If you can hold out, you are stronger than I ! :p

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
The game is beautiful. I guess my problem is just with the screen being small, something out of the game's control.
What I mean to say is that I honestly didn't notice it being "small".

In comparison, I found the demo for Rayman Origins on 3DS to be unplayable because it was super tiny.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I was worried when people said it was hard to see on the normal 3ds, but when I played the demo, I hardly even noticed it at all.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Apparently not in Smash.
Certain games are like that. Pokemon XY and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate also can't have screenshots taken. Weird that Smash is part of that group. Even MH3U on Wii U you can't take screenshots.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I've tried both 3DS with the demo. Honestly, I have no problem with both controls and camera, even if it zooms out a lot. Also, this game doesn't look pixelated on the XL compared to the original 3DS, but it may just be me.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I used to own a regular sized 3DS but I sold it for a XL since my hands felt way to big and kinda cramped. I'm loving my XL there hasn't been a day where I didn't touch it. I just love it that much. Anyways with Smash coming soon I'll probably feel surprised about how good it looks.

Top Bottom