• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Agressive

Reiign

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else play Mario aggressively? Every time I watch a stream, people using Mario always play campy or just stay back and do weird combos. Idk, maybe it's just me.

RahZ

Smash Rookie
Hey Reiign, I'd probably say my mario playstyle is pretty ballsy compared to most, You can watch some of our VODs over on twitch.tv/ridical (can't post links because no 10 posts)

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I got no vids of mine but I play aggro. I know when to flip the switch off as well. If I get more games I'll tag you, if I remember.

Reiign

Smash Cadet
I watched Boss on the S@X stream, and he played campy a little bit then ended up severely punishing people. So you could consider him aggressive imo

Last edited:

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
Mario is flexible enough that there are multiple playstyles that are viable imo. I've seen a good many aggressive Marios. However, smart play will tend to feature him being more defensive due to his rock solid nature. He's very hard to take down and can get some easy and powerful punishes on mistakes; it's only natural that defensive play is more common.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Boss is reeeally good at the neutral game, and he's able to straight up outplay people that he's better than. This is the only way you can get way with playing aggressive with Mario imo. Using super safe/guaranteed set ups is clearly the more optimal way to play. But if you know for a fact that you can outplay your opponent, why not go aggro ^_^

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I personally like to play Mario agressive with fast F-Air approaches, although I like to start with Fireball harrassing, Mario's really a very balanced character and he can almost play any role, so limiting yourself to either a defensive or offensive playstyle...eh...I dunno.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It's a bit better to not approach with fair, unless you hit their sheild and they don't have good OoS. It's decent, but it takes a while(16 frames er something to hit) and then 10 frames of lag, if you aren't hitting someone who can do nothing about it, I would say, stick nair or bair.

Reiign

Smash Cadet
I personally like to play Mario agressive with fast F-Air approaches, although I like to start with Fireball harrassing, Mario's really a very balanced character and he can almost play any role, so limiting yourself to either a defensive or offensive playstyle...eh...I dunno.
That's exactly what I do lol. I also like to juggle opponents with dash attacking, but I know it wouldn't work on someone who knows how to DI out of it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think that there's definitely merit to playing Mario aggressive, even more so than campy. Mario is rock solid all around, but he doesn't have the tool kit to play campy. Fireball is solid, and you can do it if you really want to, but Mario really shines when he's applying constant niggling pressure.

Another thing to keep in mind is that playing aggressive and being in your opponents face takes more than just being near them, and Mario's combo and kill game don't necessarily have to be executed in one long string of attacks. More often, Mario nets kills by planting the seed of weakness or tilt in the opponents mind, and then puts them in disadvantageous situations, over and over again til they die. It's fine to let your opponent come out of your combo, as long as you continue to apply pressure. More comprehensively, it's like comboing your opponent until they hit the ground, and then tech chasing. Or hitting your opponent a bit further than you can reach to continue attacking, but then chasing with quick WD'ing and claustrophobic pressure.

Ravus_Ursus

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RavusUrsus
Yeah, I have noticed that integrating good mindgames while playing aggressively gives me a decent advantage against my opponents. Keeping the pressure on while making them feel hopeless helps keep me on top of them even when I am actually at a disadvantage.

So yeah, I would say that aggressive is the best way to play him. But only if I have some good flexible strategies with him.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I feel like a good aggressive approach is adopting Falco's laser approach, but replacing the lasers with fireballs. Sometimes I like to just fireball straight in their face, it's the last thing they expect and it sets up for pretty much anything.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I feel like a good aggressive approach is adopting Falco's laser approach, but replacing the lasers with fireballs. Sometimes I like to just fireball straight in their face, it's the last thing they expect and it sets up for pretty much anything.
Point blank fireballs agaisnt wario are funny

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Mario is one, if not the most, versatile character. You have to adapt to the match up; against defensive characters like Bowser or DeDeDe it is easier to play campy against all other characters you can play however you like.

Try full jump fireball x 2 -> if opponent in shield -> mix ups you can grab or you can shield poke with f-smash tilted down or down smash or even spot dodge to down smash. Learn how to B-reverse fire balls and then chase them to give you cover.

Tip: against Squirtle you can down-air Down-smash his side-b approach and if he approaches from the air you can shield ->Oos aerial.

I like to down taunt in their face. same effect but instead of combos it converts into smiles :)

Last edited:

SmokeOut

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2406-5837-9935
I like to approach with a few fireballs while mixing it up with short hops and full hops, I usually reach my opponent the same time my fireballs do and I go in with a short hop dair and then grab, down throw then continue from there based on the DI and how successful my approach was. I love to play aggressive Mario, but sometimes have to mix it up based on the MU. It feels like some characters range and certain attacks I can't challenge so I adapt and do what works. I never find myself playing a campy play style, it's never been my style in any video game and I just can't find the patience for it, it naturally bores me.

Ravus_Ursus

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RavusUrsus
I like to approach with a few fireballs while mixing it up with short hops and full hops, I usually reach my opponent the same time my fireballs do and I go in with a short hop dair and then grab, down throw then continue from there based on the DI and how successful my approach was. I love to play aggressive Mario, but sometimes have to mix it up based on the MU. It feels like some characters range and certain attacks I can't challenge so I adapt and do what works. I never find myself playing a campy play style, it's never been my style in any video game and I just can't find the patience for it, it naturally bores me.
I agree with you, camping just isn't my thing. Mixing things up and adjusting to your opponent's playstyle is the best way to go. LIke you said though, some things work on some players and characters while some just don't. And playing aggressive really is the most fun :p

Top Bottom