• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing against certain types of players

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
So I've had this problem all the way back from melee. I just can't beat people that just run away and shoot projectiles. How do you go about hitting them? It's the same thing every time. Run away and shoot blasts. If I eventually get close it's just a grab into throw. Then the run and gun starts up again. Any tips you guys can give me on this?

Mishiero

Smash Rookie
I had this question answered for me a while back. I was told to short hop over the projectiles and at some points, it's more beneficial to you if you face tank some of the projectiles. But definitely, if you are on a stage with platforms use those to your advantage to get closer to him

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
That's generally how I try to go about it. For instance, back in melee it was peach players who just threw turnips or jumping turnips. Just now it was samus. Just constant missiles followed by a fully charged B when one lands.
Does someone whose game plan is entirely this count as stalling by official rules? I know it probably isn't but I could always hope haha

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
Usually I just wait them out on platforms and hope they get bored. Or if they throw out something unsafe I'll run in and try to predict what they do after the animation.

Samus is a tough one. With her I'll just shield the missiles and slowly approach, and I also make use of platforms and multiple jumps (Ridley) to try and feint a landing. If she tosses a missile while I'm in the air, I quickly land and try for a grab. If she's too fast, I try and predict what she'll do. Grab? Run away? Roll? Etc. I hate the matchup, because I'm forced to play super campy and passive, but it's a matter of wearing them down over time.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's less a problem of getting to them and handing them and more so a problem of taking full advantage of when you do hit them. A lot of players focus too much on chasing them down without practicing the strings and combos they'll need to truly punish them.

Think of it this way. If you're not doing much more damage than one or two projectiles when you do get close, then the projectile spammer can do just as much damage from a distance far more easily. If you get close and do like 50-60% damage and chase them off the stage, you can control the match and put them in a situation where they have to chase you until they have a lead again.

Practice, practice, practice your combos.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Try and shield and jump over as many projectiles as you can while you’re getting in but it’s ok if you get hit by a couple as long as they don’t lead to a combo. Then once you get in go on the offensive hard and overwhelm them. If you can get a lot of damage and maybe a stock that way it usually throws them off for the rest of the match. A good zoner is hard to play against but you have to beat them at their own game. They’re trying to tilt you, stay calm and get in and tilt them

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Don't take them to tri-plat stages. They can hide under a low platform. Also, jumping over projectiles becomes predictable pretty fast. I resort to aerial attacks if my opponent jumps over my charge shot. By jumping, all I have to do is watch how many times you jump. After you use your mid-air jump, you're an easier target.

Top Bottom