• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Played Charizard for the first time today...

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
And he was instantly OP when I used my normal playstyle with him!

I hear a lot about Charizard being one of the worst players, but I think all his moves make sense.

I main King Dedede and Villager. And With DDD moves with slow start ups are your bread and butter, and that's just how charizard is like expect with more power (DDD's still got the swag, tho).

I really enjoyed all of his moves.

The reason I tried him for the first time today is because I love to play as the 3 heavies, DDD, Bowser, and DK, and I had a win streak of 35 wins with some 2 stocks on this one guy who kept roll and grab spamming (and failing horribly, I was hoping he would learn that rolling back and forth constantly...not only doesn't work but it's annoying). So I decided to try some "bad" characters. I did kirby, jigglypuff and Charizard. And he only beat my jiggly puff cause I don't know how to handle her balloon-like air movement (not smooth like Kirby or DDD).

I now want to make Charizard my main, and his neutral air has to be the best in the game.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Charizard is the best heavy character in the game, the main reason why people think he's bad is because not many people use him and he's not a pick up and play character. His speed and range are so good for his weight class. My win rate in 1v1 online is over 94% with more than 2100 games played only using Charizard and I've beaten some absolutely solid Diddys and Shieks.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I honestly think Charizard is the best heavy character in the game, the main reason why people think he's bad is because not many people use him and he's not a pick up and play character. His speed and range are so good for his weight class. My win rate in 1v1 online is over 94% with more than 2100 games played only using Charizard and I've beaten some absolutely solid Diddys and Shieks.
They are probably inexperienced with Charizard too.

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
Yeah, I don't find Charizard to be all that bad. Sure he has a few weakness, but he still packs a punch.
He has many kill moves. I find myself often ranging out most smash attacks and taking out my opponent with f tilt.
His rock smash is a great move for punishing and getting in a lot of damage.

If you're interested I say definitely pick him up and see what you can do.

Spirst

I personally think Charizard is criminally underrated and is by no means the worst heavy as some people ascribe to him. On the contrary, I think he's possibly the best heavy. His gameplan is pretty straightforward but when that's combined with frame 1 SA, a spacing/edeguarding/approach option in flamethrower, frame 6-7 OoS usmash, an insane grab range with good reward, a multiple jump to have an easier time landing, a strong recovery for a heavy, strong KO power, disjoints (and a deceptively smaller hurtbox), and the ability to avoid resetting to neutral (one of his weaknesses) with dragon rush...this character definitely has some good tools for what he is.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
I don't get why people say Zard is bottom tier. I mean, he may not be as good as Diddy or Sheik, but he is not bad. I find him really powerful, and his range is pretty good, too. Sometimes I find myself hitting charged smashes on unaware opponents, just because they thought "There's no way he's gonna get me from there..."

Anyway, I absolutley love Rock Smash. The super armor frames have saved me from being combo'd to death a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
I believe that lots of people lose against Charizard because very few players have actually played with a good Charizard player. He seems to be underestimated which gives him a distinct advantage when players rush in against his solid hard hitting moves, thinking that he'll be an easy knock off.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
As someone who mains Charizard, I agree with this. Playing several For Glory and For Fun matches, often times people overlook the Zard. And it isn't until they start losing to him that they start picking Lucario and trying to spam counter on you, trying to bait you into a Flare Blitz...until you use your ridiculously long grab range to punish said counter-spammers.

Calling him Mid-Tier is generous. Calling him Worst Non-Mii Character is absolutely criminal. Whatever, let them think that. Continue to under estimate my Zard with his Fair, Uair, Dtilt (which I believe got even faster in this patch), U Smash, Flamethrower, and DRAGON RUSH (Flare Blitz in For Glory, when used properly as a read/punish and not as a spam).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You are right, Dtilt was made to start and end 2 frames faster in the patch.
While Charizard has a long grab, I would trade that for a not so garbage dash grab anytime.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Really?
Have you any vids?
Not doubting you just wanna see a good charizard because im thinking of using him too.

I main Ganon & DK

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Really?
Have you any vids?
Not doubting you just wanna see a good charizard because im thinking of using him too.

I main Ganon & DK
All my replays are not viewable anymore since the update. I've only saved 1 replay since the update which is against a decent Pacman player. I can send you it if you want?

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, starting to agree with the Charizard matchup
Really?
Have you any vids?

I main Ganon & DK
have a look at Knee Smasher's vids
a big thing about Charizard is that he plays more like a light character with slow attacks than your general heavy

Top Bottom