• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play N Trade Hosted tournament, Chester, NY JAN 16!!!!

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Date: Jan 16, 2010
Where: PLAY N TRADE
Address: 78 BROOKSIDE AVE, SUITE 137
CHESTER, NY 10918
Time: 6 PM
Pre register: $15. At door registration: $20.
Phone number to call (store): 845-729-4263

Hey there, just so you all know and don't complain later, THIS IS HOSTED BY PLAY N' TRADE AND NOT BY ME OR ANYONE ELSE THAT PLAYS SMASH COMPETITIVELY!!!!. That being said, there will be some things that will not be like most brawl tournaments, but I've talked to the manager and convinced him to let me make the rule set, so at least that will be the Brawl and Smash approved. So RULES:

SINGLES ONLY

3 stock

8 minute timer

Items are set to 'off' and 'none'

Double Elimination.

All sets are best of three, except winners finals and losers finals, which are best of 5.

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless
agreed upon.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by
percentage. If still tied, a 1 stock match is played on the same stage with same characters to determine winner.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned. That means this can't even be
used to avoid invincibility at the beginning of the stock (to avoid
confusion).

DDD's standing chaingrabs are banned. DDD MUST do a dash inbetween chaingrabs, thus no walking/nudging chaingrabs are allowed either. DDD's are allowed to chaingrab against a wall, as all walled stages that are on have
only temporary walls.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or
errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if
possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings
BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller
functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing,
disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that
match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for
knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering
one of these effects.

Stalling is banned, which is defined by: The act of deliberately avoiding any
and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from
an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an
infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end
quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. NO PLAYER MAY PLANK THE EDGE (stall on the edge with a lead for longer than 10 seconds). If there is a question of this happening, the match is allowed to be paused so a judge can be called over to watch the remainder of the match.

Normal suicide move rules apply: ganon and bowser suicide moves warrant a win for the ganon or bowser that initiated them.

Beginning of the set:
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure. Each player will alternate striking a
stage until there is 1 left. That stage is played first round. THERE IS NO RANDOM
UNLESS AGREED UPON.
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the
set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from
either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages:

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick

Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Jungle Japes

PRIZES:
Ok, so here's the catch: the 1st place prize is $100 store credit to Play n' Trade stores. I know, i know, it isn't money, but hey, like I said, it's a store run tournament and they set the rule on prizes.

Oh, and 2nd place is a year subscription to the Play N trade gamer's club, which basically entitles you to come in every day and play any game you want for an hour in their store. They have really nice flat screen tvs and its a small town, so not many ppl will be inside waiting for their turn to play on any given day. I think there are other perks involved with that membership, but i may be wrong..

Final words: PRE REGISTER TO SAVE $5!!!! It's $15 preregistered price, $20 at the door the day of.

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS!!!!!

BRING Wii's if possible!!! And the BRAWL GAME itself too!!! That'd be great, and i'm sure it'd help. No need for TV's, they have 6 large flat screen monitors.

Finally, please come if you live in the area or aren't doing anything.. The larger the turn out, the better the chances of them doing something like this again, maybe even monthly for brawl. Oh, and if you play any other games (modernwarfare, halo 3, madden, etc etc) they have tourneys for all those too, so check it out.

I'm sorry about the prizes, can't do anything about em, I'm not really in charge of anything besides the rules. It's not my store. Contact me with any questions about the rules or anything like that. Sorry about the late notice, just found out about this yesterday..
Come if you can, I don't know if NJ is having anything this wkend, and hey, this isn't far from you guys at all (Chester, NY 10918, mapquest it). Hope to see some of you guys there, sorry for late notice once again.
Questions? contact me and ill reply asap.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
erm, chaoechidna, not for nothing, but it's a horrible time to really put up.

First of all, you put up the thread a FEW DAYS before the tournament happens. That's pretty bad considering there isn't much of hype. 2nd, it's on a day where a major tournament is happening (which is Pound 4, which is many has been looking forward to). This, coupled with the first issue, will pretty much mean a mass majority may have already decided to go to Pound 4.

I feel your business would prosper better if this was planned at a better time...maybe a week or two in advance. Otherwise, you may not get the turnout you and your boss is aiming for.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Haha, rockin man, i know how bad it is and all. Honestly, thanks for the advice. I didn't know about this till yesterday. Oh, and i don't work here, i am not in any way affiliated with this store. None whatsoever, besides it being in my town. But thank you for the advice anyway, i told them to let me know well in advance next time.

Good luck to all ppl going to Pound!! Once again, i apologize to everyone for not posting this sooner, i had absolutely no idea this was going on until late yesterday.

Top Bottom