• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platforming With Lasers

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Let's discuss Wolf's most valuable tool (besides shine), his laser! You can waveland (WL) out of a short hop laser, B reverse WL, stall with it and wall out your enemies etc. Platforming with lasers provides air coverage, aerial mix-ups, much much more. Please share whatever insight you have to help out other Wolf players utilize laser!

I've been using Wolf for a while now (since Demo 2), and I spent most of my time experimenting with his laser-waveland mechanic. I realized that you can full hop > laser > waveland on most platforms and follow up any move from there. Below are some examples of what I'm getting at.

You can:

Mindgame

Full hop > B reverse > waveland laser! Afterwards you can follow up with any other attack.
This works as an anti air.

Approach

On a stage like PS2, setting up a full hop double laser (using waveland) is ideal for those pesky characters that excel in air mobility! It limits your opponent's options and either forces a spot dodge, shield, or an all out retreat. Can be used as a spacing tactic.

Edgeguard

If you wanna get fancy with laser mindgames, try this out! The first laser you shoot out would probably be too high for some recovering characters, but then you launch another by surprise followed by a secondary attack! Not effective against high recovering opponents.

If you wanna get real technical, you can also take advantage of Wolf's waveland laser to gain constant invulnerability while ledge hopping. Timing this perfectly will make you extremely difficult to attack.

GIF provided by Magus!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Laser waveland too good. Thank IKE his laser doesn't have transcendant priority, it'd top falco's by a ridiculous amount...

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i agree wolfs laser is very good. falcos is better for harrassing ur opponnt, but wolfs is better for stage control and forcing reactions. and its just as good for following up with. also its great defensively.

I posted this at the original smash mods thread, but unholydeath, i really like ur use of the wavebounce on wolfs laser. i use it fairly frequently and i think its definitely something that wolf players need to integrate into their game for its uses in baiting, punishing, spacing, and mobility in general.

Scythe

Smash Master
There's some good stuff here, I need to get a working Wii so I can test this stuff.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
ive been maining wolf since release

i like the waveland blaster fsmash those are fun to land

also i really like hitting people with the bayonet, then also hitting them with the actual blaster

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
nice i like ur creative use of the laser to zone out the opponents recovery. granted there isnt an actual opponent in the GIF but if there was, then they would have limited options back to the stage with that edge guarding set up. also, ive tested out trying to gain full invincibility on the ledge hop blaster. its hard at first, but u get used to it. im gonna keep practicing it, and i should be able to have it down pretty solidly in not too long. with the inclusion of that tactic, theres no doubt in my mind that wolf has some of the best get up options to the stage. hes got scarring (however punishable on miss, its still a good mixup, and can get u behind an opponent who is keeping close quarters with u on the ledge), hes got this full invincibility blaster technique, he can ledge drop > jump > up b towards the middle of the stage (again fairly risky, but good for variety can throw an opponent off if u use it sparsely), and he can attack very quickly if he lets go > jump on stage > fair/uair/nair/shine. nothing game breaking, but the speed and variety of wolfs options can definitely lead to subtle advantages here and there if u look at it based on the percentage of the time wolf should be able to recover to a neutral or favorable position from the ledge as compared to other characters who have less effective/more limited options from being on the ledge. .

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Somebody should link the diddy boards of here, Diddy's popgun has the same ability and I think they could benefit from sharing techniques with you guys regarding your respective air-dodge cancelable projectiles.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah his blaster has a lot of utility that fox and falcos dont give them. foxs is really only useful for racking up damage and maybe draining a shield. Falcos is good for comboing and stuffing approaches and just harassment in general. But wolfs, on the other hand, allows him to take control of the space in front of him, and use the large, lingering projectile to his advantage to read the opponents reaction and follow up likewise. it can also be used to just straight up combo like falcos. and while hes creating this wall in front of him through which an opponent must react extremely precisely to avoid, wolf can keep excellent tabs on his position through the wavebounce and and the WL. Really adds to baiting and punishing too considering all the momentum shifts wolf can implement and his sheer speed and range.

also, about diddys projectile, ive noticed that its a much slower process overall to WL a peanut. ill have to experiment with that and see if the timing and spacing allows for the same usage of the invincible ledge tactic. Ill go link this over there now if nobody else has

Top Bottom