• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Shadow Sneaking (Retreating and Advancing)

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
Hi all, longtime Melee player here with a new(?) SS technique. I've checked around but haven't seen this mentioned so I figured it'll be best to post and make this common knowledge.

Basically all you do is release SS just as you pass through a platform from below. Greninja will preform a SS but his attacking animation will either jump backwards or move forward in a diagonal motion from his usual ending point. The ending SS animation depends whether you were holding left or right upon SS release. In the video below I usually do the kicking animation while coming back but you're also able to do the flipping animation if you hold forward (You will still move backwards)

You can easily practice this by SSing (SideB) underneath a platform, jump and then releasing SS at the right time. How far your SS appears and subsequent jump back depends on how far your shadow traveled. Of course you can mix in Sprinting SSing with this as all that matters is that you release your SS at the right time.

Have fun!

-Edit-

After playing around on other stages it appears that Greninja seems to be pulled to the bottom left hand side of the field no matter which way you are facing. (Imagine an invisible spring pulling at Greninja down and left) If you start your SS facing right you will be pulled back toward your starting position whereas starting your SS facing left will pull you even further.

Last edited:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Oh neat! I knew about this, but I had no idea how to do it.

Very nice to know, thank you for the thread.

Spirst

The tech skill involved in doing this in conjunction with running shadow sneaks seems immensely cool.

Choice

Smash Champion
That's pretty legit. I'll need to try this out when I get home. Will this behavior happen on a stage where you can move through the bottom? (i.e. pokemon league or whatever. somethin like delfino)

Alphamew17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alphamew17
3DS FC
4296-3486-7805
This is a really neat trick, but do you think there could be any practical application to this? I'd like to see this become a useful technique in battle

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't doubt it. We're not allowed to have anything cool.
I don`t think they even know about it. I`ve never seen it used in any tournament, so I think it won`t get patched, unless Nintendo checks Smashboards.

And in that case, Nintendo please:
- give us back our lag-less shurikens, just make the fully charged one travel a bit faster if comboing from it was the problem
- lower the end lag a bit on Usmash and Fsmash since they`re way too punishable for what they do compared to other smashes
(damage nerf on sourspot Usmash hit can stay since I like how it promotes using other smashes)
- make Uair connect with the last hit reliably again (knockback nerf was justified, so it can stay)
- remove the Fair knockback nerf, for such a slow move I think the knockback was just right
- increase Hydro Pump knockback a bit or make the launching angle less vertical. It doesn`t have to be as strong as before, but it would be nice if it didn`t actually help the opponent recover in most cases because of the high vertical and low horizontal knockback
- decrease the lag on Ftilt. It is so laggy that you can get punished even for hitting with it at low %. And it`s weak too, so making it safer would at least make it useable.
- reduce substitute start-up lag and add more invincibility frames (like the strong Substitute custom). You can lower the power in exchange, but make it more reliable to use.
- increase the meteor effect on Dair or let us cancel it much sooner. We are risking our lives every time we use it off stage, so it would be nice if we could get a kill from a successful meteor way below 90%. With such a risky move it should either be a guaranteed kill from above 40% or we should be able to act out of a missed Dair much sooner to avoid SDing.

If they make these changes, I wouldn`t mind if they took away all of Greninja`s ATs. Greninja needs some of these changes to compete with the top tiers. And to make the game more balanced, I think buffing good characters to allow them to compete with the top tiers would add a lot more variety in character choice than nerfing top tiers and buffing weak characters to mid tier. This just leads to the disappointment of the top tier mains and the others won`t start using the weak (now mid tier) characters. Instead they will find the new top tier which benefits from its main competition getting nerfed and the game will become more centralized around that character. We can see that now with Diddy Kong which faced some tough competition from Rosalina, Sheik and Greninja before their nerfs, but now many people simply consider him the best and only pick him if they want to win making the game arguably less balanced than before the patch.

K1LL3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
rk_Pixel
Really interesting application of the SS. Odd that it always pulls you in a southwestern trajectory, but there seems to be enough variety depending on the facing direction to be a tricky tool to add to the arsenal. Teleport options are never bad to have!

TruStyle (AKA Relic)

Smash Rookie
New to posting but I think I think I might have found something decent for you guys. Spent a little while trying to learn the timing got a few off but nothing consistent. Changed my L trigger to special and idk why but the timing became much more consistent. I remember back in the brawl days I did the same for links bomb tosses and the sheik DACUS so figured it was worth a shot. Something about the extra fraction of a second it takes to pull the trigger sometimes aids the early press so the tech feels more natural. Not saying its a answer all for this but might help some people out. Cheers!

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
This dude been doing it for a while.You can also do it falling through platforms. Just release the button as you're falling through and it'll do it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Interesting! Battlefield pulls you to the left... do other stages pull you other ways?

Alphamew17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alphamew17
3DS FC
4296-3486-7805
No, every stage has a pull towards the bottom-left side of the screen

Top Bottom