• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Level Issues

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So I’ve been using Zamus for a while now and I’ve still have had this problem since I first realize it existed

What can I do with Zamus starting items when I start on a platform?

My first real answer to this problem was to throwing all but one of them immediately toward my opponent to quickly ditch them off the course at the beginning of the match so I could easily monopolized the remaining.

Well even though this was a good answer it has two noticeable flaws

1. If instead of side stepping or dropping through the platform they shield those two items they would of course hit and bounce of them only to land on the ground floor close to them, which is bad
2. Is the fact that some characters have long lasting and quick starting up smash or tilts that can hit and stop my items in mid air after they dropped through the platform, thus making it that much easier for them to use them against me.

I’ve also played around not throwing the item toward my opponent but instead to throw them off my side, of course their problems with this as well.

1. It takes time for Zamus to turn around which might take up very small amount of time it is still a clear issue as if your opponent quickly rushes there is a good chance they will interrupt you while you either pick up your last item to run away with or even when your throwing.
2. This is more of personal preference but I highly dislike having my back turn to my opponent for any notice length of time when I’m using Zamus because there is very little she can do when someone is attack from behind.

So let’s compare notes Zamus forum and help solve this problem once and for all.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
I usually grab 1 item and drop down the platform to throw it. Then i would start attacking my opponent. If he gets out i get back to my items and see what im going to do from there.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If someone attacks you from behind, it's okay to use bair. You'll lose some strength, but what would you rather have, a strong bair or three stocks?

My general strategy is to stay near by suit pieces. Throw them in the air near you, or at the ground so that if your opponent approches, they have trouble attacking. Throw specials in, because they'll only really be expecting suit pieces, and that makes this a great time for using the paralyzer and whip.

If you're moving straight up and down, you can try pressing Z to let go of the piece then use an aerial to do an aerial and pick it back up. This lets you attack, and protect your body at the same time.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Easiest thing: Drop down through your starting platform. Then you can jump and pick up your armor pieces when you need them.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
If someone attacks you from behind, it's okay to use bair. You'll lose some strength, but what would you rather have, a strong bair or three stocks?

My general strategy is to stay near by suit pieces. Throw them in the air near you, or at the ground so that if your opponent approaches, they have trouble attacking. Throw specials in, because they'll only really be expecting suit pieces, and that makes this a great time for using the paralyzer and whip.

If you're moving straight up and down, you can try pressing Z to let go of the piece then use an aerial to do an aerial and pick it back up. This lets you attack, and protect your body at the same time.
Phootbag correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure a rising Bair out of shield will only hit the tallest of characters like Ganondoft while completely missing the shorter member of the cast like Kirby.

Any whom just guarding your items like you suggested is far too difficult on stationary platform levels like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise as you can’t perfectly guard your items and not be predictable at the same time by your constant jumping to catch to keep them in motion for the first few minutes of the match. You can try to use your B moves and the occasional item to keep them at bay which is nearly pointless as you can’t make a solid defense or just abandon your item defense and attack them, however because of the platforms it’s nearly impossible to keep your opponent completely away from the side of the course you have your items on.

What I’m looking for is some type of full proof or nearly strategy that will allow you to remove your items from the course without getting punished in the progress.

Ideas people?

Snakeee

Smash Master
Here's what I usually do. Just quickly grab one item and smash throw it down so it bounces up and down on the platform. Sometimes you're opponent will be so set of beating you to getting the items that they'll get hit with it. If not that one item should still prevent them from reaching you while you make use of the others.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Phootbag correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure a rising Bair out of shield will only hit the tallest of characters like Ganondoft while completely missing the shorter member of the cast like Kirby.

Any whom just guarding your items like you suggested is far too difficult on stationary platform levels like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise as you can’t perfectly guard your items and not be predictable at the same time by your constant jumping to catch to keep them in motion for the first few minutes of the match. You can try to use your B moves and the occasional item to keep them at bay which is nearly pointless as you can’t make a solid defense or just abandon your item defense and attack them, however because of the platforms it’s nearly impossible to keep your opponent completely away from the side of the course you have your items on.

What I’m looking for is some type of full proof or nearly strategy that will allow you to remove your items from the course without getting punished in the progress.

Ideas people?
You're misreading me. I'm not saying shorthopped aerials, I'm saying aerials in general. Like, if you're fighting in the air and have no sideways momentum, then you can drop an item and do an aerial in quick succession. It's not the whole strategy, but it's an option. And more options make you less predictable.

And on the note of being predictable, this is why I'm suggesting doing things other than throwing the piece. You'll never find a perfect method for getting rid of all of your pieces. The best method is to stay on the defensive, because then you can react to your opponent's actions, and rely on them to be the predictable one. If you get a chance to make it less likely that they'll get one, feel free to take it, but if you don't you can't just whine about how hard it is to defend the pieces.

Garde

Smash Ace
ph00tbag's suggestion is really good. It's a way for you to use normal attacks while keeping an item on hand, and it'll catch most opponents off guard. You press Z without a direction to just drop the item, then you fall accordingly and press a direction and A and it'll automatically pick up the item while you perform the aerial attack (allowing you to throw if you successfully hit with your aerial, and guarding the item from your opponent at the same time).

I didn't like platform stages at first solely because it was a hinderance to my item strategies, but I've learned that platforms actually help her strategy quite a bit. If you keep items bouncing on platforms and drop through them or jump through them, it makes it difficult for opponents to follow.

I often take a single item with me and approach, blocking the opponent from my side of the stage and use B moves while I have the item in hand. Sometimes I'll use the item as a wall by bouncing it off the ground and hiding behind it. As soon as the opponent attempts to head to the items lying on the ground, I snatch the item up and chuck it at him while he's occupied trying to pick one up and knock him away (usually off the stage). Even if he did get an item, he's now in a horrible position as I have 2 items and on the stage while he has 1 and is trying to recover. I get easy kills (sometimes 2 before the items disappear) by using the opponent's desire to get one of my items against him.

Of course, no plan is fool proof, and I have made mistakes in the past, but I am the one at the advantage more than 90% of the time. I'll have to add ph00tbag's trick into my repertoire because that is ingenious.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
After completely understanding what Phootbag was suggesting and a little playing around I can see just how useful this actually is.

I'm sorry Phootbag for belittling your advice about dropping an item with Z.

Anyways, thank you everyone for posting your helpful tips and advice on this matter but as it seems that all the bigwigs have posted there own ideas on this subject I think it's time to let this die.

Moderators if you are reading would you please close this.

Top Bottom