• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform drop uair

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I don't know if this is what its called but how do you platform drop uair, i see people do it with DK and saw someone do it with luigi. Basically i want to know how do you uair while going down through a platform, like what buttons do you press.

Frogles

Smash Ace
just lightly tilt the analog up after you shield drop. gotta do it pretty quick though. you dont have to shield drop but its much easier that way. having a lower deadzone also makes it easier. i have mine set to 15%.

lush

Smash Rookie
Shield dropping, I think is fastest, but it's not necessary. The trick is to drop thru the platform and slide the control stick up "slow" enough that you don't input a jump. Takes a little practice before muscle memory kicks in. Unless you're a keyboard player, then I'd suggest you consult... kuz? I think he's supposedly pretty good at dk uair chains.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
so its called shield dropping? or is that something different because i dont know how to do that either

Frogles

Smash Ace
shield dropping is platform dropping. you're just holding z before you press down so you dont end up crouching.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I dont know from the controller standpoint, but I can do it very easily now on kb, so talk to me or star king if you need to do that.

Basically, its just dropping through the platform and uairing without jumping. It helps to shield platform drop because it helps you drop faster (it bypasses the crouching animation) but shielding is not necessary.

You can platform drop uair with any character, but it is most useful with people who have uairs that can juggle

ie.
dk
link
mario
luigi
falcon

doing it with kirby would be fairly useless

dandan

Smash Lord
im using a ps2 dpad, i think i got it down now just need to practice
i think you are getting the worst of both worlds, you are not utilizing the stick on your pad, and ps2 pad << keyboard control, imo of course.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
lol i had a ps3 controller for years now that i USED D-pad with :(

since I've been back though i switched to Analog...the only reason i didnt in the first place was because personally i find the ps3 analog awkward D:

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Ya need the claw grip to effectively use a PS2/3 controller.

This also means you need hands that normal human beings don't have.

What a useless controller.

ANYWAY! I find that doing these platform drop Uairs requires good sensitivity with the joystick. If you smash it, you will jump, so you need to move it up quickly to the neutral position and then just squeak it a bit more as if doing a Utilt on the ground. It doesn't need to be all the way up, just barely over the neutral point, and it'll register. Hard as hell to do, but if you hold the controller like DMoogle (or Blue Yoshi, can't remember), then it'll be easier since you'll have better control.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
If you cant do it, then try with a macro, i started with a macro an now i can do it perfectly

MattNF

Smash Lord
worst thread ever. PLAY ON 64 with real controllers.
Ok, I'll make sure to drive 2 hours to the nearest player every time I want to play and buy 5-6 controllers since the n64 analog stick is unreliable and wears out quickly.

Or you can stop being a console elitist.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately the Nintendo 64 has no online capabilities so one would not be able to engage in competitive matches with competent players unless they live within a close proximity to one's abode. Thank you for participating in this lovely thread. :redface:

Olikus

Smash Champion
Ok, I'll make sure to drive 2 hours to the nearest player every time I want to play and buy 5-6 controllers since the n64 analog stick is unreliable and wears out quickly.

Or you can stop being a console elitist.
Dont wanna drive 2 hours? Dont wanna buy 5-6 controllers? And you call yourselves a smasher? :O :O :O

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If that's the case, then I'm as British as a non-British person can be, I've even got a sort-of-British accent and an inability to go 30 minutes without being sarcastic, cynical or condescending.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
If that's the case, then I'm as British as a non-British person can be, I've even got a sort-of-British accent and an inability to go 30 minutes without being sarcastic, cynical or condescending.
ahh, once again someone about to kill a thread with culture/language rambling, aren't u supposed to know better?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Thats another thing that benefits from using the shield before platform dropping.

Besides bypassing the crouching animation, you shield platform drop straight of a run without having to stop. Most useful on peachs castle as in the vid tiger provided.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I have playing with a ps2 pad without stick since the last year :D (And i can do droping uairs :B)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Original
rpotts
Responses:
Korrupshen
*high fives* :D
Dr_Strangelove
Unfortunately the Nintendo 64 has no online capabilities so one would not be able to engage in competitive matches with competent players unless they live within a close proximity to one's abode. Thank you for participating in this lovely thread.
Battlecow
Potty, potty. You know you be trollin'. You don't mind an online falcon ditto yourself, as I recall.
MattNF
Ok, I'll make sure to drive 2 hours to the nearest player every time I want to play and buy 5-6 controllers since the n64 analog stick is unreliable and wears out quickly. Or you can stop being a console elitist.
NovaSmash
find me a n64 contoller with a joystick that isn't falling apart then i'll use it

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
My response would have dealt with the issue nicely and left no room for further argument. You guys are terrible.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
if sheild dropping the trick is pressing sheild to drop, then releasing it, then pressing it again to z-cancle. thats the toughest part for me. just takes time/practice

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
NovaSmash said:
find me a n64 contoller with a joystick that isn't falling apart then i'll use it
What are you saying dude??
I play on a pc and i'm using a n64 controller, there's already a USB adapter for that.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
What are you saying dude??
I play on a pc and i'm using a n64 controller, there's already a USB adapter for that.
im saying that its hard to find n64 controllers with good joysticks, u must have gotten lucky

rpotts

Smash Lord
Yea I regularly play on tons of controllers, both mine and my friends, many of which still have very good sticks. Btw I play online too, it just sucks compared to console (i play online with a 64 controller) Platform drop uair is not that hard. platform drop ff uair is probably some of the hardest **** in the game, or isai style edge cancel ff uair - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvI0uvu7vs&feature=related

Top Bottom