• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform crawl boost technique?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
At SKTAR3, I was watching the stream friday morning of ESAM warming up on Norfair before his doubles game.

I noticed he did this movement technique that lets him move horizontally on platforms very very quickly.

I don't know what he did, but it appeared that he inputted a crawl boost attack and immediately dropped through the platform then immediately reappeared standing on the platform and repeated. He went back and forth across the top Norfair platform extremely quickly.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the 'double jump through moving platform = instant land' tech from brawl or if he just chose Norfair because it's one the stages with a very long platform.

I didn't see this in any thread so I figured I'd ask about it. What was ESAM doing?

UPDATE:
To do this, you simply enter and exit crawl asap. So just hold diagonal down and vibrate your thumb as fast as possible. Thanks to: http://smashboards.com/threads/platform-crawl-boost-technique.356921/#post-16831198

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Yeah Ive seen ESAM do that as well, no clue how to do it myself tbh or what he is even doing, deff has to do with brawl

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Okay so ESAM was doing this after his match with Armada, wtf is he doing and how do I do it? Seems gimmicky and OP. and I want it.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Okay so ESAM was doing this after his match with Armada, wtf is he doing and how do I do it? Seems gimmicky and OP. and I want it.
it sounds like it has something to do with the transition between crouch cancel and morphball when esam does it, perhaps just wavedashing at the transition point between cc and morphball?

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
So in playing around with it for awhile, it's nothing more than vibrating the control stick between lower right/left and straight right/left. Although it yields an extremely fast way to travel, it's very impractical. At least for me, I have to claw the stick with my right hand to perform the tech.

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
You have to claw the control stick with your... right hand? I can't even begin to imagine what this would look like. Can you start this from a dash or do you have to be standing when you start?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I have literally been doing this since Samus was given a crawl in the pre-release versions. Maybe we should call it the ph00tbag dash. (Answer is still no.)

I've never really even cared to talk about it, because I've never seen a use for it, unique to the state it induces, that is so vital to Samus's gameplay as to warrant the difficulty of doing it. As far as I can tell, it's not even important enough to warrant a name, let alone just naming after the first person to do it on video.

If nothing else, it's always been really lame to name stuff after players.

Kati

Smash Lord
I couldn't muster much speed when I found this a ways back, but I find that doing it backwards allows for an easy ledge grab when I'm already too close to wd off of it. Because of the downward diagonal direction, I think that Samus fastfalls instantly and thus grabs the ledge faster than air dodging off and instantly grappling.

Litt

Samus
I couldn't muster much speed when I found this a ways back, but I find that doing it backwards allows for an easy ledge grab when I'm already too close to wd off of it. Because of the downward diagonal direction, I think that Samus fastfalls instantly and thus grabs the ledge faster than air dodging off and instantly grappling.
ummmm.... why not just do a PC drop? pretty sure thats faster than all your methods :/

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Damn I thought it would be easy like D3's Down-b pivot where u just gotta hold it just right, does anyone still have the video of ESAM doing it? Can you get even better at it @ pizzacato pizzacato and record again?

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Damn I thought it would be easy like D3's Down-b pivot where u just gotta hold it just right, does anyone still have the video of ESAM doing it? Can you get even better at it @ pizzacato pizzacato and record again?
No, sorry. It's unnecessary and just a party trick; kind of like swd in melee. It's practical in PM, but still a party trick.
I gave you the info on how, try it yourself. Be the Samus who finds a practical use and show all of us up.
ESAM wants to call it Mach Balling, which does have a Super Metroidesque, so let's call it that.

Litt

Samus
No, sorry. It's unnecessary and just a party trick; kind of like swd in melee. It's practical in PM, but still a party trick.
I gave you the info on how, try it yourself. Be the Samus who finds a practical use and show all of us up.
ESAM wants to call it Mach Balling, which does have a Super Metroidesque, so let's call it that.
I greatly respect the response you gave to SpiderMad pizzacato. You have earned my respect on here and I look foward to watch you advance samus's meta in PM.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
It looks like you can only do this to the right. Why is that?
I wonder. Idk if it is something that can be fixed. Its like swd in crawl. For some reason you can do it from left to right but not right to left

Litt

Samus
Just the way you are responding in posts to other players shows a strong grasp of the character and how they should be played at the most competitive level, and its noticeably different from just a few weeks ago.

Litt

Samus
Yeah everyone who cares, this one would only be a viable movement option if you clawed the control stick, otherwise its just something flashy to do inbetween stocks

Top Bottom