• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Canceling With Bananas - Works with other items too

S.N.P

Smash Rookie
If you're unaware of what platform canceling is, view the lesson here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK16zTBzIQQ

So, I'll just call this "item canceling"(oh wow, so original). Basically it's the same method of platform canceling, only difference is that you have an item on hand(in our case, a banana). Just throw downwards the moment you jump to a moving platform and if done right, the item will be on the platform along with you.

Its uses include, but not limited to
-better positioning for your next offense
-throwing off your opponent's rhythm when they try to make reads
-setting up kills
-refreshing your jumps

I tried this at the last tourney for a bit and I can say that this is some-what practical for competitive play.

Feedback on this is appreciated. I wanna know if you guys found anything else neat.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
i was actually going to make a thread about diddys options from a platform cancel, along with a video for platform canceling because i dont like how others have been done, I'll start workin on this as soon as I get to borrow my friends capture card,
Anyways just so you kno you can platform cancel any kind of banana toss, even a glidetoss in any direction, you can also platform cancel any action at all, jumps, dash, turnaround, tilts, jabs, and smashes and yes i mean any kind even dsmash/dtilt and usmash/utilt incase anyone didn kno.

S.N.P

Smash Rookie
Roan that video would be great to show them how to do it properly. Post it asap please

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Im going to see my friend later today so hopefully i can record it tonight, edit and upload tomorrow.
Moost videos say you have to hit down and cstick down, thats not really true
doing that causes you to platform cancel standing , however if you just tap down and input an action right after, lets say down B, you will platform cancel banana pluck in Diddy's case

Also if there is a item on the platform and you platform cancel shield, you will pick up the item.
This means you can platform cancel a glidetoss with just a banana on the platform, non in hand before the platform cancel.

S.N.P

Smash Rookie
just remember that this works for all characters in general too - it's just diddys that seem to benefit from it more with his banana utility

Luigi player

Smash Master
I've seen ADHD do that to trip opponents that shield above him on platforms (since the banana will "hit" their feet).
Didn't know you can do it with just pushing the cstick down. Maybe I can learn it now. x)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
C-Stick Down is the normal way to Platform Cancel; I can understand if you've been having trouble if you weren't doing it with the C-Stick xD

This definitely has its (situational) uses. Obvious application of Platform Canceling or not, I think I can put this in the Kongpendium.

EDIT: You need a better name than Item Canceling, because that is wayyy too vague when you're talking about Diddy.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
I've seen ADHD do that to trip opponents that shield above him on platforms (since the banana will "hit" their feet).
Didn't know you can do it with just pushing the cstick down. Maybe I can learn it now. x)

Not with just cstickdown, with just control stick down

like say you were gonna platform cancel banana pluck youd tap down on control stick and then hit down b right after to do it

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
And with the right timing if yoou just tap down on the control stick youll do the same as tapping down on the control and cstick

S.N.P

Smash Rookie
I guess I forgot to mention that this works with other items as well. The fact that bananas, tires, armor pieces, grenades, etc. all can be platform canceled with is why I just call it item canceling(lol that name is still too plain)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
"Item Canceling" can mean way too many things out of context. Canceling what? A throw? A catch? I'd wager most people would not jump to "Platform Canceling with Items" from "Item Canceling."

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I Have done This With Link Snake Diddy And TL
Every time something is found a thread is made, a totally random dude claims he has done it since like 08 without any proof or has never even told about it to anyone. No you haven't done it. Period.

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
I feel "item platform cancel" is probably the closest we might get to a name, seeing how the other option atm sounds like "platform canceling with an item" is probably as far as it looks like anyone else has thought up. but you never know.

personally, I feel that this tech can also be used as a slight mindgame/mix-up on our opponent, in addition to other uses that have already been found

Top Bottom