• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plasma Up Smash OoS OP

Litt

Samus
Up smash OoS in melee was relatively ineffective because the opponent would not get stuck in all the hitboxes of the move, or could sdi out of it and hit you before the move even ended. However since the upsmash is from brawl and not melee, plasma up smash OoS when a character that does not have a 1 frame follow up... (shine... *cough*) it is surprisingly effective for punishing unsafe moves on shield. Here is how you do it for the less experienced or less technical samus players out there, when holding shield, just press up on the C stick and control stick at the same time, (control stick 1-3 frames faster to be accurate). This is because samus's jump animation takes 4 frames to get samus airborne, and you need to jump cancel while out of shield but not yet in the air, so 3 frame window really to pull it off, and 4 technically because of the 1 frame built in lag to PM itself. So to keep it simple, just press up on both stick in shield when the opponent hits your shield (hold, :GCLT:or :GCRT:, then:GCU:-->:GCCU:) =:joyful:

Kati

Smash Lord
It resembles the flamethrower the most, which is produced via beam-missile combo with the plasma beam in MP1. Fire/plasma are indeed interchangeable, though I personally avoid plasma as it could be confused with the zebesian plasma beam.

As I recently took up clawing, I use my jump button with the c-stick to upsmash oos, but I am also finding great results with this old technique that is suddenly viable with Samus.

Thanks PMBR! :D

I can't wait for frame data though to compare stuff like ice vs flamethrower oos.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I've been using this for a while, I can confirm that it's pretty darn good when you land it. Biggest problem is remembering to do it instead of just screw-attacking every time.

Narpas_sword

ah damn, have R set to special to Screwattack oos. (tap jump off) now i have to decide how i want to change =p

also, totally prime plasma beam, its the ONLY thing from metroid that shoots fire.
to call it power beam would be silly.

Kati

Smash Lord
ah damn, have R set to special to Screwattack oos. (tap jump off) now i have to decide how i want to change =p

also, totally prime plasma beam, its the ONLY thing from metroid that shoots fire.
to call it power beam would be silly.
Flamethrower if you want to be super accurate :p

imo Samus has never just had the power beam, but rather, some beam specific to smash that changes the colour from yellow to blue, adds 300% recoil, and a large charge. This "smash" beam also supresses all other beams' primary fire, but allows for secondary fire (hence the flamethrower/ice spreader and other ice goodies).

Pardon me and my scrubtacular ways, but, clawing?
I hold the controller in such a way with my right hand that my index finger can pull on the y button like it is a trigger. My middle finger falls naturally on the z button, as does the fourth finger on the r button. My right hand assumes the natural resting position that all pianists are taught to use, and so I have the best chance of avoiding repititious stress injuries, and can perform several advanced techniques with greater ease.

shine wd? shine oos? full hop missile spam? np.

Clawing style varies from person to person, and I have yet to find a comprehensive guide, but it is a technique that dates back to the early years in smash. B010 for instance curls his long index finger around from the x button over the z button, so he can activate either with one digit. I have yet to hear of a weirder claw.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Flamethrower if you want to be super accurate :p

imo Samus has never just had the power beam, but rather, some beam specific to smash that changes the colour from yellow to blue, adds 300% recoil, and a large charge. This "smash" beam also supresses all other beams' primary fire, but allows for secondary fire (hence the flamethrower/ice spreader and other ice goodies).

I hold the controller in such a way with my right hand that my index finger can pull on the y button like it is a trigger. My middle finger falls naturally on the z button, as does the fourth finger on the r button. My right hand assumes the natural resting position that all pianists are taught to use, and so I have the best chance of avoiding repititious stress injuries, and can perform several advanced techniques with greater ease.

Clawing style varies from person to person, and I have yet to find a comprehensive guide, but it is a technique that dates back to the early years in smash. B010 for instance curls his long index finger around from the x button over the z button, so he can activate either with one digit. I have yet to hear of a weirder claw.
Gravy a falcon that lives in florida but used to be tristate, and the fox from mexico javi, have the most unique clawing styles out there, just watch videos of their play and you will be amazed.

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet

This is really cool, especially for me given that I suffer from sore thumbs all the time. I think I'm gonna try and do this, thanks!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Just want to make a clarification, the one frame lag doesn't make this easier. The one frame lag only applies to momentum changes. Samus is still airborne on frame 4 in PM just like she is in Melee. The actual difference is that in PM, she goes airborne and doesn't gain any height on the first frame because of the universal one frame momentum delay.

Litt

Samus
Just want to make a clarification, the one frame lag doesn't make this easier. The one frame lag only applies to momentum changes. Samus is still airborne on frame 4 in PM just like she is in Melee. The actual difference is that in PM, she goes airborne and doesn't gain any height on the first frame because of the universal one frame momentum delay.
Which.... throws off your timing when you are trying to be technical and you are used to being frame perfect without lag... aka melee

Litt

Samus
Not in the case of upsmashes OoS It doesn't.
Hmmm so you are saying... when you jump cancel up smash out of shield... the 1 frame momentum lag does not apply for the jump cancel... umm I think you are wrong there sir..........

Chevy

Smash Ace
Hmmm so you are saying... when you jump cancel up smash out of shield... the 1 frame momentum lag does not apply for the jump cancel... umm I think you are wrong there sir..........
He's not wrong. During the one frame momentum delay, you are still considered airborn, just not moving.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That's indeed how it works. Samus is airborne on frame 4 in PM. At that point, inputting an upsmash will result in an up-air.
It doesn't matter that she's not moving upward, because that's not how the game registers grounded vs airborne status. THAT is determined by a single binary property which is applied the frame after jump start, for all characters.

Litt

Samus
He's not wrong. During the one frame momentum delay, you are still considered airborn, just not moving.
and that needs to be fixed.... :/ otherwise players are adjusting themselves to playing at a delay

Top Bottom