• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Planning to main Olimar ^_^

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Title says all and kinda have some curious questions to ask for the Olimar players out there so here goes ^_^:
  • How fast Olimar's overall movement is?
  • Do Pikmins can sometimes desynch from Olimar?
  • Can Olimar still rack up damage like he used to be in Brawl?
  • Is the 3 Pikmin limit "limits" Olimar damage-dealing capabilities in this Smash?
  • What's the quickest way, say, getting 3 Pikmins of the same color?
  • How match-ups go with Olimar
  • Lastly, Are the flowers on Pikmin's head grows overtime in this game?
That is all folks and will appreciate some tips on using him. More power~*

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
To answer your questions:
1. His overall speed is medium. Not fast, but not slow.
2. Yes. This may be a glitch or deliberately put in, so plan on whistling more often.
3. No. Olimar's pikmin have been severely nerfed, so aerials are the way to go.
4. In terms of Pikmin-throwing, yes. Use aerials.
5. Throw Pikmin you don't want off the edge. There will almost never be a time where you need more than 2 of the same color.
6. I can't tell you specific matchups, but I've had trouble against Rosalina, Little Mac (on ground), and Sheik especially.
7. I don't think so.
One of your best tools this game is nair. Multihit, good priority, leads nto combos. Olimar's always been a hard character to learn, but it comes with good reward. Good luck!

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
2. Yes. This may be a glitch or deliberately put in, so plan on whistling more often.
5. Throw Pikmin you don't want off the edge. There will almost never be a time where you need more than 2 of the same color.
6. I can't tell you specific matchups, but I've had trouble against Rosalina, Little Mac (on ground), and Sheik especially.
7. I don't think so.
One of your best tools this game is nair. Multihit, good priority, leads nto combos. Olimar's always been a hard character to learn, but it comes with good reward. Good luck!
You seem to like Olimar's aerials a lot. I admit they're alright, but you can't approach with them. They're more like followups to grabs or a juggling tool.

Also Ultra*HappyCharge Olimar struggles quite a bit with fast characters like Sheik and Sonic. So that could be important if you care to main him. You can still wrack up damage with the Pikmin Throw too, it just takes longer.

Last edited:

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
You seem to like Olimar's aerials a lot. I admit they're alright, but you can't approach with them. They're more like followups to grabs or a juggling tool.

Also Ultra*HappyCharge Olimar struggles quite a bit with fast characters like Sheik and Sonic. So that could be important if you care to main him. You can still wrack up damage with the Pikmin Throw too, it just takes longer.
Agreed, as that's exactly what I'm using them for. They're good at what they do. If you play against a fast character, it is wise to stay ranged.

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
Unfortunately the fast ones don't let you do that for to long. :ohwell:
Everything in moderation, my friend. Like in Pikmin, Olimar is the strategist, the commander who has to manage his time and resources well in order to survive. An Olimar main needs to be adaptable or they will be punished without a doubt.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Everything in moderation, my friend. Like in Pikmin, Olimar is the strategist, the commander who has to manage his time and resources well in order to survive. An Olimar main needs to be adaptable or they will be punished without a doubt.
Well that is applicable to everyone. Trust me when I say that fast characters will shut you down when they know what they're doing

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
7. I don't think so.

Thanks guys! Appreciated it ^_^

2k6

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the club! it kinda takes a lot of practice to use him properly but its definitely worth it :D

Top Bottom