• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
I completely disagree. I use it frequently (to the point where I've mapped my X button to the grab/tether command) and I find it to be a very safe poking tool if you space it correctly. If they try to punish a well spaced Zair, the move's negligible landing lag allows you to cover yourself with a jab, shield, or simply back off.

Also, keep in mind that if you use Zair as you are falling from a short hop rather than rising, you'll be open for less time and it will still cover its amazing full range while maintaining the minimal landing lag. Retreating Zair is also quite safe.
Ill try using it more then I suppose, maybe im just bad

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Wow. I stopped getting notifications for this thread. I'm (kinda) back now, though.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
I never know what to do after hitting with a jab.
You mean connecting the first hit or all 3? if you connect all 3, you kinda have to read what your opponent does next. I usually throw out a PK Fire just to keep 'em at bay. but it depends on how much damage they have. if you're talking about connecting just the first hit, I can't really help you there. maybe go for a grab?

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Playing with @ Jigglystep Jigglystep right now, Lucas is so goood~
Yep! He's definitely the most fun I've had with any character in Smash 4. You can be insanely creative with his combos and everything about him feels super fluid.

How do you guys feel about the Lucas ditto? Some interesting tidbits to note - Zair cancels PK Fire and Dair out prioritizes PKT2.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I never know what to do after hitting with a jab.
if you hit a shield, you can stagger the timing of your jab so it's harder to shieldgrab (it's nice to know but not really necessary), but you should really avoid committing into the third hit. instead of jab3, jab cancel into grab if you feel ballsy, or just run away.

if you actually hit someone with it, you can finish the jab or jab cancel into another jab, grab, or tilts, if again, you feel ballsy.

Yep! He's definitely the most fun I've had with any character in Smash 4. You can be insanely creative with his combos and everything about him feels super fluid.

How do you guys feel about the Lucas ditto? Some interesting tidbits to note - Zair cancels PK Fire and Dair out prioritizes PKT2.
Dsmash third hit beats sweetspotted PKT2 :3

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
I got my Lucas merch from @Kevandre today, Loving it :D
Going to wear my shirt to a tourney tomorrow, Ill be playing Lucas so I'll let you guys know how I do.
See the spoiler for pics

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
^ if you're going to do that then only down-B right before the explosion otherwise you'll eat a metal blade

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
^ if you're going to do that then only down-B right before the explosion otherwise you'll eat a metal blade
Does the end hit of magnet destroy metal blade? Because if so that would be a cool way to force an approach from MM considering how sexy the end-lag for magnet is. <3

Also, stalling is still a thing. I love that <3

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Does the end hit of magnet destroy metal blade? Because if so that would be a cool way to force an approach from MM considering how sexy the end-lag for magnet is. <3

Also, stalling is still a thing. I love that <3
it might, but magnet's hitbox should be transcendent.

also, cbb checking but doesn't PSIM have a blind spot now?

speaking of "still a thing", i miss magnet pull. all the times i get knocked to the upper right corner of the stage and have to land makes me miss it even more. don't even get me started on zap jump ;_;

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
it might, but magnet's hitbox should be transcendent.

also, cbb checking but doesn't PSIM have a blind spot now?

speaking of "still a thing", i miss magnet pull. all the times i get knocked to the upper right corner of the stage and have to land makes me miss it even more. don't even get me started on zap jump ;_;
Duuuuuuude I know.

I even miss some of Lucas' old basic things. A Nair and buffered Fair that AC. If he had those again I would feel like I'm bouncing around the stage again. :p

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
I just landed five nairs in a row oh my jeez
I also landed a back air when a Zelda teleported to the ledge
Frame 1 punish <3

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I'm happy cause Lucas is literally everything I wanted in him and more. Undeniably gonna be my main once I get more practice with him.

NOTE: Don't bring him to a tourney a week after release when you're not confident with him cause then whoopsies you'll get 2-0'd apparently.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Finally feeling really confident with my Lucas. He's on his way to dethroning Shulk as my main, I haven't played him since Lucas came out. Finally learning how to nail that bair spike, as my good friends know... 8)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Unlike Ness, I can feel it's going to take a while before I feel confident in my Lucas, which is strange, but I'm sure I'll get there. It's probably just because he's so different in subtle ways.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I know. I was making a joke, since, you know, PK Love and all that..
Going off this, can I just say how cool it is that the background characters at the top of this site are now subtly tinted in support of the whole thing? Man, that made my morning when I saw it. Good on you guys at Smashboards. <3

EDIT:
Tip: When a crash bomb is stuck on you hold Down B to absorb the explosion
(Going off your sig) Don't see too many Ivysaur supporters. Then again, I've really just started using the boards a week or two ago. Wish Ivy and Squirtle would come back, Great characters, they are very missed.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
:4ganondorf:GanonDorf's is really fun. As my other main is. :4falcon:
:4lucas:But Lucas. He's a gosh darn good in this game. My Main for Life.:4lucas:
Yeah, I've been playing Lucas and Ryu nonstop since the DLC came out. I haven't touched my main :4shulk:in weeks. Lucas just might dethrone him.
I don't even know why I like him. I didn't play him at all in Brawl. He just flows and feels really natural to me. x)

D

Deleted member

Hello, everyone. I'm back from a bit of a leave. Lucas is definitely my favorite character to use by now, and I feel that I've gotten quite good with him, so far.

But, I would like to bring up a question: if Mother 3, nay, when, gotta keep up that positive attitude, when Mother 3 is released internationally, and assuming akin to Mother 1 Nintendo decides to give it a name of "Earthbound x", what do you think it will be? The first thing that comes to me is "Earthbound Aftermath", but I wanted to hear you peoples's opinions as well.
They should just say "EarthBound 2". Somehow I don't like the ideas of titles that say "This is the end" even if we all know Mother 3 is the last title in the series.
Sup fellas
Hi there. I heard you were a solid:4ness:player. :)
Unlike Ness, I can feel it's going to take a while before I feel confident in my Lucas, which is strange, but I'm sure I'll get there. It's probably just because he's so different in subtle ways.
I already feel as I'm a better:4lucas:than a:4ness: but then again you're a much, much better player than I am.
Lucas's Back Air.
Is the most beautiful spike in the game.
I adore Lucas in this iteration.
Miles better than Brawl IMO
I'm not great with edge guarding or doing spikes, but the one that I did (I think I was fighting @ False Sense False Sense :4robinm: it was a really satisfying experience (even if I ended up losing that match).
Yeah, I've been playing Lucas and Ryu nonstop since the DLC came out. I haven't touched my main :4shulk:in weeks. Lucas just might dethrone him.
I don't even know why I like him. I didn't play him at all in Brawl. He just flows and feels really natural to me. x)
Back in Brawl I barely played as:lucas:because I didn't think of him as much beyond a:ness2:clone. But since around December, 2014, I've come to really love Lucas as a character and I absolutely love playing as him. He might even dethrone:4megaman:and that was the character that got me to buy Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have been summoned.

I'm usually not great with edge guarding or doing spikes, but the one that I did (I think I was fighting @ False Sense False Sense :4robinm: it was a really satisfying experience (even if I ended up losing that match).
Hi, Fuzzy. :bee:

I think I remember that one. It was a bit shocking, since I think that was my first time ever being spiked by a Lucas, but I was pretty impressed that you were able to pull that off. Good play. ;)

D

Deleted member

I have been summoned.

Hi, Fuzzy. :bee:

I think I remember that one. It was a bit shocking, since I think that was my first time ever being spiked by a Lucas, but I was pretty impressed that you were able to pull that off. Good play. ;)
I'm the type of person that likes to tag people that are currently active that I do speak to. Looking back that was one of the best plays I've done so far but as I progress as a player I expect to have more great moments like these.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Going off this, can I just say how cool it is that the background characters at the top of this site are now subtly tinted in support of the whole thing? Man, that made my morning when I saw it. Good on you guys at Smashboards. <3

EDIT:

(Going off your sig) Don't see too many Ivysaur supporters. Then again, I've really just started using the boards a week or two ago. Wish Ivy and Squirtle would come back, Great characters, they are very missed.
I noticed the tints but I didn't make the connection until now. That's so awesome! :D

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
What don't you like about it, may I ask? I feel the pros greatly outweigh the cons of it.
It just feels a little lacking when compared to other tethers. There's very few situations I find myself in where I'm glad to have the tether. (This is all my opinion, I'm sure lots of people feel differently.) I like using grabs to punish, but it comes out kinda slow, so sometimes my opponent can punish me for it because it also has a good bit of endlag on it.
It doesn't seem long enough either. I adore Samus' grab, as an example. If it came out quicker, or was a bit longer, I'd have no problem with it.
Reiterating, I LOVE Lucas. He's amazing. I just am not a fan of his grab. Am I using it wrong? Is it for stopping ground approaches? Halp me, pls.
The zair is great, though.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
i don't believe fair not ACing is a problem. the landing lag is so small now that even if it did AC, it's actually quicker to SHFF Fair than to SH buffer it.

i think his grab would be good if they undid pivot grab nerfs and gave it more range.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's range or active frames or what. The grab seems to just miss people even if you clearly caught them rolling backwards.

Top Bottom