• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Fire Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I know a bunch of people do this for a grab or the bat, and I understand,

But I remember this one Ness I battled against as Bowser and I was crushing him until he started to spam PK Fire. I couldn't even retreat, and after like 50 PK Fires, he used the Bat and chopped off my first life. I eventually had to spam My side B and beat him, And ever since I was scared of Ness.

So, could you guys at Smash Board help me on this predicament?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Shield them. Hop over them. Approach aerially. Learn to SDI it. Its only 80% effective but it can save your life.
If you're getting PKF'ed close enough to get Fsmashed you seriously need to be more careful approaching.

Maybe ask for someone to have a few matches to learn to deal with PKF.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Smash DI. During hitstun you can input a direction on any analog stick so you shift slightly in that direction. With a gamepad/GCC you can input two different directions e.g. if you want to SDI up then mash up on one stick and a slight variant of up on another stick, like up and a little bit to the right (Mashing both in the same direction only registers as input from one stick) . It works best on moves with many quick hitboxes like PKF.

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Let's not forget the existence of powershielding and second jumps. Both are the optimal answers to PK Fire.

Tikao

Smash Ace
spaming pk-fire is probadly the worst thing you could do as ness, it is not a bad move, but it is defiinitely too laggy to be spamable

Tikao

Smash Ace
not literally of course

you could try and spam fully charged pk-flashes onstage while standing right in front of a bowser charging fsmash
or the literally worst thing (that is ness related and not just SDing yourself) : spaming psi magnet against someone without energy based stuff

But you would have to do something like that on purpose and just for the sake of doing something dumb, but spaming pk-fire is something some (mostly newer) Ness players might actually do

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
PSI Fire spam only goes so far. The move is best used when you know your opponent doesn't have much choice. When spammed though, it gets really predictable and the ending lag will just work against you, especially if you're against Sheik or someone with fast running speed, you'll really pay the price.

Kidodeath

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidodeath
3DS FC
2019-9682-8362
Spamming PKF isn't a good idea as a Ness player , it's laggy and punishable at closed ranged you can power shield it , spot dodge , jump , shield ... It's supposed to be used to punish or from far but it isn't a good idea if not spaced well ..
So you just have to learn how to beat Ness, and this part is actually not hard to learn I think .

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I think I have a good idea. I will try Ness and fight either a Level 9 CPU or use him online and spam PK Fire and I will see how they punish me and I will try to mimic it with my main Wario.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I think I have a good idea. I will try Ness and fight either a Level 9 CPU or use him online and spam PK Fire and I will see how they punish me and I will try to mimic it with my main Wario.
k but you have to actually understand what they're doing, why they're doing it and adapt the punish to Wario.
Marth Fsmash =/= Wario Fsmash.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
This thread seems to be heading in the wrong direction, watch that sodium intake Garlic Wonder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the wheelie on the bike eat projectiles? Could use that to gain space, other than that I suggest working on your aerial approach options, pk fire is very punishable when Ness is abusing it.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
no they ignite, i arcthunder'd a wario's bike. FH PKF is pretty safe on Wario driving his bike.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever I play a Ness and use the bike, I go over the PK Fire and slam into Ness.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I don't get how a Wario has issues against PK Fire. Its a risk to use that move anytime outside of a read or to punish landings. It's even more risky to use it in the air and Wario's aerial acceleration is fantastic.

If you're playing a Ness as Bowser, mastering powershielding is a must. Any character with a lack of strong answers to projectile camping that has such a large frame needs to practice this consistently. And PK Fire from a neutral position can be reacted by the average person easily. If you get in Ness's range, Flame Breath will win more than you think. The important part is to not panic and start rolling, spot dodging or jumping blindly. PK Fire leads to setups but its moreso used as a pressure tool. If we land something out of it, bonus points.

Also keep in mind WiFi promotes certain defensive strategies more than offline play. PK Fire spam is effective in lag but won't be as effective offline. Do not mistake this as a viable Ness metagame tool. Try watching NAKAT's Ness online and see how people get around the move so you can get a good idea for how much of a window you have to punish/avoid it. It's good to see how top players react against other top players. Just remember that each character has their own individual tools for dealing with certain obstacles.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
PK fire is extremely punishable even if ness uses it sometimes. It takes time to come out and longer to get out of the animation. Approach with aerials or long range attacks if possible. Remember pk Fire can go diagonally down and straight that's it.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alright...well, your question was answered so I'm going to go ahead and lock this. In the future, you can also ask a question like this in the FAQ thread: Click Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom