• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Burst usage?

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
so i'm curious as to how other lucas' use pk burst either offensively or defensively, i really only see use for it in a dair or down throw strings as it's easy to land and does decent dmg but i feel like up air has more combo potential. pk burst seems good to knock them back a bit to get them offstage but doesn't really have good kill potential at all. it just feel somewhat underwhelming as a move itself imo but i feel like it could have great potential.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
SH pk burst on spacies is good, usually best at percents that force a tech roll or allow you to combo

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
i tend to use burst off of dair and d throw, just throwing it out in the neutral could catch someone off guard but if it's missed then there goes the precious charge :/, i feel like magnet is just overall better unless they're like ontop of or below you

X-Rey

Smash Rookie
Sometimes when I am getting heavily pressured, its a good "Get off me" tool. Works well against Falco pressure (even though a huge part of using it is getting the charge so that might be another problem.) The only other time i would use it would be for finishing off kills with its intense knock back at higher percents. It helps kill those characters with multiple jumps like Dedede. (Another thing I like to do is use it as a "shine", but that's just probably me and only when I'm messing around.)

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
It's a good out of shield option for pressure, like what X-Rey said. It used to have invincibility on the early frames, stuffing out a lot of burst movement options such as Sonic's spindashing, Yoshi's Egg rolling, Mewtwo's teleport shenanigans, etc.

Even though I use it less as a "Get off me" tool in this game (especially since you can't get the free charge at the start of the stock, which would fool a lot of players into approaching, keep in mind, that this move actually KILLS). I find the move pretty useless against Spacies, since their shine comes out before your Burst. So never really use this move against spacies when being defensive.

Seriously, having trouble getting a grab on a floaty for that up throw kill? Maybe they're at a too high percentage so when you down air them, they're much too high for your up smash, and you're not confident that you can get the back air perfectly spaced in time for the sweetspot? Welp, it's not a big deal, because you can double jump up to them while they're in hitstun (because the hitstun for Lucas's dair is very good) and then hit them with PK Burst. This has been something I've been doing for a while since 3.5 dropped, and I'm glad that Burst doesn't have set knockback (which I originally had no problem with the concept back when talking about 3.5 changes when 3.02 was a thing).

tl;dr if you don't like it as a way to combat pressure, use it as a kill move at high percent, and maybe even a combo/string extender at low percents. It's especially good on the floatier characters in the game.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
yea i was using it defensibly for a little bit in 3.0 trying to abuse it's invincibility frame but they took it out so..., i'll have to try using it on floaties at higher %'s since up smash won't reach, sounds rly good

Last edited:

RU1N

Smash Rookie
I too have been using burst as a kill move when I know that the bair won't hit and I can't kill them with uair... The knockback on that move is pretty good horizontally, especially if they are D.I'ing heavily off stage which is likely, so I use it vs very heavy characters like C. Falcon as well as floaties. Falcon can be hard to kill off the top and if he does not D.I and you see that your bair will knock him back down into the stage, giving him stage control while you are still in the air, I recommend using burst to knock him off stage which will give you an edge guard opportunity.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Best options are from Dair if they are going to hit the ground & possibly miss a tech- I will use a fast fall Dair immediately into PK Burst, then I have good follow-up options from there. DJC Uair is also a nice option after FF Dair if they get grounded. At low %, getting multiple DJC Uairs can be tricky if the opponent starts CC'ing them.

With PK Burst, DJC Uair or Nair -> Uair beats out CC. This is an extremely good tool in the Lucas v Bowser MU. Nair into PKB will always work on Bowser and beats out all his CC moves. It's my favorite and best approach option, especially in that certain MU. Nair -> PKB can also create good mixups for shield pressure and will come out 5-10 frames faster than a DJC Uair after landing Nair. It beats out the startup on grabs and OoS options.

Using Magnet from a distance off stage now diminishes in 3.5, so if I have a charge, I'll burn the charge if it means I can stall just a bit longer or recover from a tricky distance.

Out of shield PKB isn't that effective. Every other Aerial aside from Bair is better OoS and with intangibility removed, the only upside is being 3 frames to jump & 2 frames to activate the move. The hitbox is too tiny to actually hit most chars if they're spaced out and shield pressuring you correctly.

tl;dr Stall offstage and approaching Fair / Nair, falling Dair, and DJC Uair -> PKB are the best options overall

Top Bottom