• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivoting Question

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
I apologize sincerely if these are newbie questions, I just don't recall seeing them addressed anywhere. How does one run past the opponent real quick, stop, and do a forward smash? What's a method or the method? I think there's a few in this match of Jiano's, a really good watch - http://youtube.com/watch?v=GXXSXYLEIjs&mode=related&search= (one at 2:55 in particular)

SS does it a lot too I think. Furthermore, I noticed in a few of SS's matches, when he throws up a space animal and they DI behind him, he turns around real quick in place somehow and does a down tilt to launch them back up again for other stuff, how does one turn around from a throw to down tilt in place? Thank you all for your time.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Pressing down on the control stick stops the dash/run animation so you can follow it up with a smash or whatever else.

As you said... dash past the opponent, press down, forward smash.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
what Chaotic stated works is called dash cancel, and it works only after the initial dash animation has ended (when you can no longer dash dance). in order to do it during the initial dash animation you must do a pivot, that is by turning around, and in a particular frame of neutral position you make your move. its a matter of timing.
the turn around dtilt has no special trick. its just a good timing of the turn around to the down tilt. as soon as the throw ends, he turns around, and dtilts asap.

edit: looks like jiano used a dash cancel, not a pivot.

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
Thank you guys for your responses. As a follow up, for either pivoting or dash canceling would one use c-stick or does the change of direction favor using control stick to fsmash in the opposite direction?

xelad1

Smash Ace
mmm i think its all timing and preference, I personally use c stick for all smashes and aerials (except charged smashes and nair). I don't think its harder either way, in fact it would be easier for dash cancelling since you have to press down on the control stick, so using the c stick would be faster than moving to smash with the control stick again. For pivoting maybe the control stick might be faster since you don't have to coordinate the two sticks, but I don't have that much of a problem with the c stick... though I don't pivot much.

technomancer

Smash Champion
It's much faster to C-stick dash cancels unless you get really really good at using the A button in this instance. You can crouch and C-stick on pretty much the same frame, and you may even be able to buffer this.

I use the A button for pivots, pivotting with CF is the magic rapesauce.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
smash pivoting with the cstick leaves less room for error. in the worst case it wont come out. with a you can get dash attacks. but you wont be able to do tilt pivots (which are kinda unnecessary for falcon)

xelad1

Smash Ace
It's much faster to C-stick dash cancels unless you get really really good at using the A button in this instance. You can crouch and C-stick on pretty much the same frame, and you may even be able to buffer this.

I use the A button for pivots, pivotting with CF is the magic rapesauce.
Magic rapesauce? Sounds delicious!

Top Bottom