• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot upsmash

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Didn't see anything about this yet, so thought I'd share.

Unlike other pivot upsmashes where it's worth doing due to different hitboxes/sweetspots, sonic's pivot upsmash cancels his momentum to let it be a more precise distanced punish. A normal running spindash has him slide super far and gets a lot of deadzones for it's use because of this.

A little less helpful now that it's been nerfed maybe, but hopefully others can utilize this.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I think you meant USmash instead of Spin Dash?

Nonetheless, since USmash has terrible startup, I think that adapting to the slide is better in the long run. It doesn't slide too far, IMO, but it doesn't slide enough in order to be a viable approach option either.

Also, that way you'll most likely avoid the initial hitbox, which occasionally sends the opponents out of the rest of the hitboxes' range (specially against aerial targets), which is pretty stupid tbh.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm confused as to what the point is.

As Orochi said, the first hit of Usmash blows and doing the running version of Usmash is better because you want to catch people with like the midway point so you don't need them trapped for as long to get to the final hit, which is the only good part about the move. Even then, it got nerfed so most characters won't die until like 120%. We generally probably want to charge it a little more, which is the good thing about the slide because you can get some extra charge but still be in motion.

It's usually best as an anti-air, and in the perfect scenario, you only hit with the last couple if you catch them trying to land on the ground or a platform. Also, as you said, pivoting it doesn't give any positional advantages since it hits the same way no matter what as it just surrounds him in hitboxes basically.

Plus, I'm near certain it's already possible to do a Usmash from a full run without the slide. Both inputs are a little different. Normally when I want the slide, I hold the charge and hold my joystick at a diagonal before releasing.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

:093:

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Will try out this out in the lab when I get home. Sounds like I can implement this tech along with my fox trot cancels.

And I'd argue running pivot dsmash is the opimal tool for tech chases or people who roll to much.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
And I'd argue running pivot dsmash is the opimal tool for tech chases or people who roll to much.
And I'd argue what on Earth is a running pivot dsmash?

Dare I ask...

:093:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I've done this before for both tech chasing and for covering an opponent's ledge option. It's a very good technique that I use a lot. However, because of the awkward controls on the 3ds, I can't quite get it down as easily. In fact, on the 3ds I can't get Sonic down in general for some reason whereas I have little to no trouble on the Wii U version.

Top Bottom