• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot stop

SAUS

Smash Ace
Dash one way, then flick the stick the other way (hit the other direction and let go of the stick - I don't think you need to go all the way).

I doubt this will be the new meta, but people could use it more often. I personally find it a little difficult to do much out of it because of how you flick the stick. If anything, I think dash dancing and using your shield to stop will be used more than this.

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
I remember reading a guide about pivoting some times ago and this was the first lesson, empty pivot. Like saus said, you dash one way and hit the other way but only a little then release the stick.

BTW, was Prog referring to this in his tweet or something else?

CriticalRibbon

Smash Rookie
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/20uq43/any_idea_what_prog_is_alluding_to_here/
In this thread, Prog is being mysterious and when asked if it's empty pivots or dash cancelling he says "That's the first bit".

I'm starting to think it might be something bigger. I mean, people have known about empty pivots for years really, and now we've got Prog, Cactuar, and Toph all hyping up this development that will "make wavedashing obsolete in a lot of situations".

Also according to that thread, some major player (probably KK) is going to be using the new tech this weekend, and after that Cactuar will be explaining how it's done.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
I feel like maybe it is like a pseudo fox-trot where you run cancel (crouch after dash ends) to force the fox-trot timing. In the top comment on that reddit link:
pstrmclr gives us this link:
http://smashboards.com/threads/2014...nowledge-updated-1-2-14.339520/#post-16153183

In that particular post, it shows the amount of frames everyone's dash lasts - this is what determines dash dance length and when their run starts where you can run cancel (crouch to cancel your running).
It also shows the frame at which you can fox-trot. Here is a video demonstrating it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHU_33iaQg
Crouching only takes like 2 frames, and then you can dash out of it.

If you look at the frames in the post, you will notice that the amount of time between ending your dash and starting your run is massive compared to 2 frames.
Fox: dash lasts 11 frames, fox-trot can start on frame 20. That is 9 frames meaning you can easily fit a run cancel in there.

If you look at the fox trot video I linked (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHU_33iaQg), there is the "long" fox trot that is done after. Basically, what is happening there as opposed to the short one, is the stick is being held for exactly 10 frames and then being let go resulting in maximum distance fox trotting. By run cancelling, you could get this effect without having to be frame perfect with your dash.

What I think the technique may be is this:
Dash until you start running, run cancel, then dash again. Seems not very interesting, but basically, it would be like forcing the fox trot timing to be what you need it to be. It could give you greater control during dashing and running.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
LOL I'm pretty sure everyone is blowing this WAY out of proportion. It's probably just run cancelling followed up with various things that people don't typically use it for. Everyone almost always attacks after run cancelling and almost never decides to just uncrouch and turnaround or dash or shield. There's no way it's going to make WDing obsolete, and it probably has certain tradeoffs compared to WD in the situations it is good for. Like in the first 30 seconds of the vid below, Cactuar runs through Darrell's shield, run cancels, turns around, then grabs. You could do the same sort of thing with a WD, but you probably lose a few frames, plus you maintain a true CCing as you slide through them instead of the faux CC inherent with WD (which only results in ASDI angled down with no reduced KB/stun). It seems really useful, just not as gamebreaking as all this hype would imply.

Sorry if I spoiled your secret KK. If it makes you lose this weekend, I will give you one of my secrets as an apology. If I'm wrong, then I guess this post will make me seem pretty dumb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom