• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Jump Cancel Up Smash

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Some guy showed me this at a tournament I went to awhile back. If you run and pivot, getting in the turnaround animation, you can jump cancel to up smash, allowing for solid approach kill options. This is useful because his Up Smash starts from behind and you are essentially using the behind part first. It's also hard to punish on shield.

Input: Dash>Opposite Direction>Jump>Usmash

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
This is actually pretty common knowledge to most Mario players.

This is also much easier to do with tap jump on because you don't have to jump. Just Dash>opposite direction>Upsmash

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This is actually pretty common knowledge to most Mario players.

This is also much easier to do with tap jump on because you don't have to jump. Just Dash>opposite direction>Upsmash
Huh, then I must be really slacking for finding this out this late in the Meta.

If people think this thread is necessary, then mods can close.

I use the pro controller and the C Stick is right by the jump button, so it's not a problem for me. However you could also turn set jump to a trigger for it to be easier.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
well, for the players who like tap jump off(myself) we do have to hit the jump button XD, which felt really odd at first but I've gotten used to it. but this tech is def easier with tap jump on, though very learnable with button jump and tap jump off too, so yay for preferences!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If people think this thread is necessary, then mods can close.
You mean unnecessary? ;)

I don't see a need to lock this thread. Instead I'll just ask why don't we see this in high level play. I think Smasher1001 is the only Mario I've seen use this on a regular basis.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You mean unnecessary? ;)

I don't see a need to lock this thread. Instead I'll just ask why don't we see this in high level play. I think Smasher1001 is the only Mario I've seen use this on a regular basis.
I knew that name rang a bell. He's the one who showed me it!

Credits to him then

Last edited:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The reason you don't see it on a regular basis in high level play is because oftentimes with Mario it's only useful as a punish from run. Rarely in high level play will the opponent open themself up long enough where you can turnaround jump cancel upsmash.

The only other use this has is as a spacing tool in neutral or getting a bit of extra distance in covering landings. Actually, covering landings may be its best use now that I think about it.

Use it to cover landings guys.

Top Bottom