• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Grabs

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Anyone have any tips for this on the Wii U version? I can pivot Fsmash like recommended in another topic, but most of my pivot grabs turn into Ftilts.

Zacko

Smash Cadet
I think the timing is just a bit different. For pivot FSmash you input the smash shortly after your movement input, but with pivot grab I usually press grab and turn almost simultaneously. Works 9/10 times for me, but I also do the dash attack from time to time.

Also: try it with and without the Speed Art. I tend to do it more with speed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone have any tips for this on the Wii U version? I can pivot Fsmash like recommended in another topic, but most of my pivot grabs turn into Ftilts.
Pivot grabs are pretty easy. As you are running, move the control stick in the opposite direction and press grab. Your character (in this case Shulk) will slide in the opposite direction and do a grab animation. I can't help you with Pivoting because I haven't figured it out too much (I'm trying to practice, though).

If you want my recommendation, use Speed for your pivot grabs. The amount of distance Shulk gets from his pivot grabs is absolutely insane.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
When I do pivot smash, I usually just hit the opposite direction and the c-stick at the same time and that works. When I try that with same thing with a pivot grab I end up with a Ftilt.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
I find them to be pretty easy. Maybe going into training and setting speed to 1/2 or 1/4 will help you with the timing?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Monado Speed really helps because you'll slide really far if you do it right. If you do your side tilt then you pressed grab too late. If you don't slide much then you pressed grab too soon. That's what I've figured out at least; I'm training my pivot grabs too.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Monado Speed really helps because you'll slide really far if you do it right. If you do your side tilt then you pressed grab too late. If you don't slide much then you pressed grab too soon. That's what I've figured out at least; I'm training my pivot grabs too.
This is pretty helpful advice, thank you.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I always end up 182930509 ft away from the opponent when I try to pivot with Speed hahahaha.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Pivot grabs can be inputted differently, but yeah simultaneously pressing backwards on the control stick + grab is the one most are aware of inputting. The other way afaik is to instantly dash first, input grab second, then flick backward on the control stick, you'll get a different sliding distance as the result being a slightly better or slightly worse pivot grab. It'll vary.

Me personally I gotta work on Roll Canceled Grabs, & whatever other Advanced grab options Shulk can do.

Top Bottom