• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Grabs Causing Attacks Instead

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Hey people,

I'm noticing that my pivot grab always seems to result in me doing a tilt attack, not a grab. Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting?

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You have to press the grab button as you simultaneously pivot. If you do it late, it always comes out as a tilt.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Huh... that's strange. In any case, thanks for the help, it's been a little while since I've played a Smash game and was ready to start pulling my hair out. Guess I just need to work on my timing some more.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
Like it was said before, it's all about the timing. I found setting my left trigger to grab to help a lot. Maybe it'd help you some?

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
You've got to pivot just after you grab, not before, otherwise it becomes a tilt. If you do it at the same time, you'll probably end up attacking more often than not

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
You've got to pivot just after you grab, not before, otherwise it becomes a tilt. If you do it at the same time, you'll probably end up attacking more often than not
If you grab before you pivot you won't pivot..

@ MockRock MockRock

If you don't let go of the stick it will register as holding down and thus result in an attack on pressing z.

For a pivot grab to work you'll need to pivot -> and then grab. You cannot be holding down the stick anymore on pressing z.
Just practice on timing. You'll get it down.

For practicing these characters are good:

:4fox::4falcon::4sheik:

Have a nice day

CobaltJustice

Smash Cadet
NNID
CobaltJustice
Glad I checked this out, I've been having the same problem lately. I think I just hit grab too late.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
You might be tilting the stick too far up or down. If your character's F-tilt can be angled up or down, then having the stick too far in those directions will cause an angled tilt, because Grab is coded as Shield+Attack.

Top Bottom