• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Grabbing

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
I was told to use Pivot grabbing, I know how to use it, but I am unclear on when to ever use it in a match.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hello!

Pivot grabs can be used to read falling opponents, attacks in general, or rolling/dodging. You can use them to gain some momentum. They work in the same way that you'd do a regular grab, but instead more of a mixup. I'd say you should be pivoting when you notice the habits of your opponent and can capitalize off of them. Ideally (at least to me), your pivot should be the result of you correctly predicting what your opponent was going to do.

For future reference though, we have a Question and Answer thread that this could have been answered in (Click me!). Please remember this for next time! Thanks!

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I honestly think I need to use it more, but here are some of the situations I use it.

1. When I run under/past someone landing, I pivot grab them on landing. I only do this when they're out of aerial mobility options for the most part, or they're being obvious with their landing.
2. When someone charges at me with certain moves (like Sonic's spin dash). Don't be predictable with this use however.

I'm trying to experiment with it against people who instinctively spot dodge when I run at them. Run through the dodge and pivot grab.

Truth be told, I think Ness' pivot grab is alright. They changed how hitbox collision works in this game from Brawl, so I feel like that nerfed pivot grabs a bit, and Ness' dash speed isn't too great. The range on his pivot grab is decent, but it's not the best.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Well, I think people told you to use Pivot Grabbing for two reasons.

1. It has more grab range than dash grab or standing grab, plus what everyone said above.

2. When someone's on the other end of the stage, you should pivot grab them instead of dash grabbing them so you can back throw them.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I actually accidentally pivot grab all the time. Idk why or how I'm doing it but it's a pain in the ass and has probably cost me some matches.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
While on the topic of pivot grabs, anyone able to explain why sometimes they fail and you'll end up doing a reverse tilt instead? (GCN controller)

Noa.

Smash Master
I find that if I do turn and press z at the same time it'll usually tilt. If I turn and then press z it'll always pivot grab.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Lol well, I tested it a good amount. Try it for yourself, but if you separate the timing by a huge margin, you'll get ftilts.

Go to training mode, dash, turn around, and wait like half a second. Then press grab, you get an ftilt. Decrease the timing gradually until it's at about the same time, and eventually you get the grab.

At least, from my experiences.

Top Bottom