• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Grabbing with Lucas

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Anyone use this at all? Yoshi has a similar PG that works in the same way. It's actually really good. Comes out fast and has FAR less lag than either the standing or dash grab but retains its good range.

Best yet, you can do a starting dash, then pivot grab at the very end of it to punish approaches. Handy little technique that might be pretty important to Lucas's game.

If you don't know how to do it, it's simple

While running or at the very end of a dash, turn around and press Grab at the same time. Lucas should immediately turn and throw out his rope snake with far less lag than normal.

Questions? Comments? Insight? Other such things?

SkYHiGh

Smash Cadet
Yah I've been messing with this, but haven't found a really good use. In order for it to be effective you need to run past your opponent and then turn around and grab him. It might work once in a game if at all, unless he's following you while you're running away and then you just turn around and grab him. That seems unlikely though.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Well with Yoshi, the PG works by doing a quick starting dash away from a rushing opponent and then pivot grabbing them. Helps to punish overly aggressive opponents. It works REALLY well for Yoshi but I haven't used it much with Lucas in an actual fight.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
This is the only way I grab (unless I accidentally do it normally). To make it effective all you do is dash away then dash towards them really quick, and you press grab as you turn towards them. It actually makes lucas's grab game not that bad, if your really good at it.

SkYHiGh

Smash Cadet
This is the only way I grab (unless I accidentally do it normally). To make it effective all you do is dash away then dash towards them really quick, and you press grab as you turn towards them. It actually makes lucas's grab game not that bad, if your really good at it.
That's what he's suggesting.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
no, he's not talking about that, he's talking about.

First, you dash towards your opponent, then you smash the control stick backwards when you get close to him while pressing Z (or whatever your grab is) at the same time, when this happens and you do it correctly, you will be behind your opponent, and you will have just grabbed him from his backside while sliding from the dash animation, even though you were in front of him before. Fox is really good at this, i haven't tried it for Lucas, but it might help since he's got good grab range.

It seems like you have to press the grab just before you press the control stick backwards. You have a little time to do this, it's not as hard as some techniques, but it's pretty fast, so just practice it for a little while, and you will have it down.

I recommend you not to spam this, since you're just sliding towards your opponent, making it easy for any forward move to hit you.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Actually I was talking about dashing AWAY from an oncoming foe and turning around to grab them as they try to attack you. You can also dash under an airborne opponent and pivot grab them as they land. I secondary Lucas so I've been trying to incorporate this into my game. I tired it out today and it worked decently well.

I'm only suggesting the PG as a tool because the Yoshi board has been touting the PG as a major part of Yoshi's game. Lucas is the only other grapple grab character that has the same type of pivot grab.

I wish I could make a vid but I don't have the necessary equipment. :/

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
oh, well the technique pivot grabbing is what i just explained, maybe it just works for fox, i haven't checked it on anyone else yet.

Levitas

the moon
this is moderately useful. The problem is that you need to be really close, or the opponent needs to be chasing you. If you're extremely close, there are better options. If they're chasing you, go for it.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
this is moderately useful. The problem is that you need to be really close, or the opponent needs to be chasing you. If you're extremely close, there are better options. If they're chasing you, go for it.
Yeah, I only use the PG to punish someone chasing me or being stupid and spamming dash attacks. It's a good way to limit your opponent's ground approaches since they'll always fear getting grabbed.

Top Bottom