• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot F-Smash

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
So I just recently got back from an out of state tournament and while I was in my hotel room before the tournament, I decided to lab some stuff and work on general execution drills.

Something that I stumbled on was the use of pivot fsmashes as a defensive maneuver. I tried using this move pretty often in pools and bracket whenever I was a little to close to the opponent and, much to my surprise, I connected with A LOT more fsmashes (I barely used the move before I started labbing). The use of perfect pivoting isn't even needed. It's just dashing out of range of an anticipated attack and quickly turning around and shooting.

I guess I'm just posting this to have some other Mega mains tear it apart to see if I'm doing something dumb or not. Because it is super simple (although a little strict on timing).

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of Pivot F smash recently too. It actually connects pretty easily on people who like to do landing aerials. It's pretty effective on Cloud because most Clouds throw out their long lasting dairs to land

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I love love love pivot F Smash. You aren't doing anything dumb.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
It's pretty good. I pop it off every now and then. I'll dtilt walk through people, then dash and pivot their chase.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
I use it to try and over both the roll and regular get up options when they're on ledge sometimes. Other than that I'll throw it out to punish a landing every once in a while. Still, it's not something I'll throw out a ton.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hmm... this may come in handy for some match ups, especially those who have hard time landing like Bowser.

Doctor_Panduck

Smash Rookie
NNID
quickpoison
I personally don't like using the pivot fSmash. I keep my style to a oversafe neutral, so it might be because of that. Also, when i tried it, it didn't prove effective. Overall, pivot fsmash is unsafe. It can get jumped over, and get hard punished due to its high cooldown

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Its really good as long as you know how you're doing it. Run away and pivot at a set distance and if too close, use pivot forward tilts instead and you may be better off at times just to keep f-smash fresh at kill %. Also the match up might depend a lot too. I did it before a lot and I remember I talked a lot about it in terms of effectiveness. I should incorporate it in my game again I guess since it can be a good mix up.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I personally don't like using the pivot fSmash. I keep my style to a oversafe neutral, so it might be because of that. Also, when i tried it, it didn't prove effective. Overall, pivot fsmash is unsafe. It can get jumped over, and get hard punished due to its high cooldown
It's not something I'd use in neutral. The move is way too unsafe to just throw out if the opponent hasn't committed to something. Like I said, I'm using it strictly as a defensive maneuver. On reaction to attacks almost. Meaning they won't be jumping over it because they're busy doing something else.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I use it to try and over both the roll and regular get up options when they're on ledge sometimes. Other than that I'll throw it out to punish a landing every once in a while. Still, it's not something I'll throw out a ton.

Its good on the ledge this way, definitely. In some MUs, a full charged fsmash will hit them if they remain on the ledge.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I do it on my 2DS all the time (assuming, dashing away from opponent, then immediately pressing A+B while holding the stick towards my opponent means it's a pivot smash). I find it super useful. Most of the time I throw it out and hope for the best, and if I miss, it wasn't a huge commitment (unless my opponent is Sonic, Falcon, ZSS, Shulk(jump/speed) or Little Mac?).

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
I incorporated it into my game a while back and have no regrets. It's great for getting some quick distance and a successful punish on a player who is jumping in at you to land an attack, or who thinks you're going to retreat further. Pretty much every f-smash I used now is pivoted.

I'm also one of those weirdos who uses A+B Smash to make it way easier, haha!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Dude, weirdos unite. I love A+B smashing.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little late to the party posting in this thread, but I'm gonna chime in and say that yeah, I've been doing pivot fsmashes since November 2015. It's a great option, and I've gotten a lot of kills on harder to deal with matchups like Yoshi and Meta Knight thanks to being able to pop out a well spaced, barely charged fsmash. The best part about it is that when I screw it up, I just end up getting ftilt which never actually harms the situation.

Funny enough, I actually started practicing pivot fsmashes for Shulk, and at first considered it worthless for MegaMan. Turns out it's great for both of them.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Really good Fsmash setup!! esp versus an opponent that like to jump nair into you like Mario etc. As soon as you see them jump towards you just dash back and pivot Fsmash.

Top Bottom