• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pittsburgh Brawl Monthlies w/ Fight Pitt

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
As some of you know, the first Fight Pitt (Melee monthlies at the University of Pittsburgh) was incredibly successful. Due to ensuring the first event would run smoothly, it was decided that Brawl brackets would not be in place for the first tournament. This post to see what sort of interest is out there for a steady flow of Brawl monthlies.

In the planning of the next event, bearsfan092 (TO of melee tourney) approached me to take on TOing the proposed Brawl tournament that would happen concurrently with all melee tournaments at future Fight Pitt Monthlies. Due the complete and utter lack of a strong brawl community in and around Pittsburgh, I took the job with the intent of finally bringing a healthy monthly tournament to the Pittsburgh Brawl scene.

In approaching those who expressed interest in Brawl being at the first Fight Pitt, we found that the large majority would be unable to attend the proposed next Fight Pitt that would take place on or around May 18. This group obviously did not include the entire Brawl community present in the area (or at least I hope not :laugh:), so I decided to post here to find out what sort of interest is present in having a solid, monthly Brawl tournament at future Fight Pitt Monthlies.

If May turns out to not be able to support a good enough turnout, we will simply push the beginning of Fight Pitt Brawling to the June monthly. The Brawl tournament will run at the same time as the Melee events within the same venue (venue is very large, I believe we requested the Ohara Student Center for future events), and will run similarly to the previous melee tournaments in terms of tournament layout. Setups will be exclusive for either Melee or Brawl. Check here for an idea of how it was run: http://smashboards.com/threads/fight-pitt-i-april-13th-2013-pittsburgh-pa.334725/ .

We will also have our own dedicated stream for Brawl.

Proposed Specifics:
---------------------------------
-Apex 2013 Ruleset
-Singles and Doubles (Doubles depending on interest)
- Singles will have pools of (hopefully) 4-6 people that determine Pro/Amateur brackets as well as seeding.
- Doubles will likely be one double elimination bracket.

What I need from you, Pittsburgh Brawl community, is to know three basic things:

1. Are you interested in coming to Brawl monthlies on Pitt's Oakland campus?
2. Can you possibly bring a full setup (CRT TV, Wii, Brawl Disk/USB)?
3. How many of your brawling friends can you get to come with you?

Regarding setups, I'm aiming to secure at least 3-4 setups for Brawl exclusively, but I need the community's help if we want to be a true success!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Interested ; probably 0 on set ups because im a broke college kid and the only TV i can bring is large and I am small so it doesnt work out in my favor ; NEOH Brawl. i can tell them.

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
Interested with 3 other Brawlers. 1 setup, there's a chance I can get another.

the only TV i can bring is large and I am small so it doesnt work out in my favor ; NEOH Brawl. i can tell them.
Where do you live? My roommate has a car and if you're close enough and that setup makes the difference, we can possibly help you bring it

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
"Downtown" Mount Washington :o
And depends on when this will be. Im in Pittsburgh for summer quarter (lol art school what is summer vacation), but i still will be going on a 3-4 week break mid june-beginning or mid july.

Also Pittsburgh people, we need to have smashfests or something to generate more interest. Pittsburgh brawl is mad dormant. We gotta be moar active

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
WIZE and I have briefly talked about having weekly/bi-weekly smashfests in Oakland starting in June for whoever can make it, but we'll do some more planning for sure.

Also Pittsburgh people, we need to have smashfests or something to generate more interest. Pittsburgh brawl is mad dormant. We gotta be moar active
^This. I was going to cross post this to all-is-brawl but it's down, might even post it to the Smashbros subreddit.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Try /r/pitt too
I'll try, but r/pitt is mostly filled with either questions about easy classes or rantings about popular pitt news. It's still worth a try though I guess.

It'll mostly draw out casuals but as long as they're people playing brawl and they don't scream about "NO ITEMS???" I really don't care how good/competitive anyone is. I f we can get one event going then there's even more interest rolling for serious players.

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
Yeah and I figure really bad kids would probably show up once and get frustrated. It's just a good way to get the word out, hopefully some kids will surprise us.

boognish

Smash Rookie
I am down for any brawl whatsoever. I have a setup for the monthlies. I just need to know dates whenever available. I gotta call off of work for them in advanced. Get ready to lose to an unknown randy ;)

borommakot77

Smash Rookie
Would definitely be interested in brawl monthlies in the Pittsburgh area. nothing really going on since the /hope tournies are done. I'd have like 4-5 guys interested with me as well.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Apparently May isn't looking good even for Melee due to some problems with booking the venue (requests office apparently goes on hiatus between the end of the spring semester and beginning of the summer), so I'd definitely mark your calendars for mid-June and not May. I'll keep you updated on this as best I can.

M@v

Subarashii!
You should definitely hold these; there's still enough interest in the Pittsburgh area. I'm moving out of town soon, so yeah there should be some sort of tourney event/meetup for brawl after I've left.

tishyubah

Smash Rookie
A friend and I could probably bring a full setup each. We have a group of around 6 people that play 1v1s regularly, as well as 2 or 3 other people coming back from college who might be interested. How many people would we need to get a decent tourney going?

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
At this point I dont think it's a matter of not having interest, just now we need to get the venue situation handled. I'm going to get in contact with the head of the pitt smash club about it as soon as I can. I just got off the flurry of finals and moving-out of campus so I finally have some time to think about smash hahahaha

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Head of the Pitt Smash Club here (TO for the last Fight Pitt for those of you who know me). Yeah, I've been dealing with the finals/moving stuff too, but the Pitt office just isn't on their game. I'm gonna bust some doors down and let you guys know as soon as I have a venue and a date.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, we have a date: May 18th. How many of you can make it? Here's the tourney link: http://smashboards.com/threads/figh...013-pittsburgh-pa.334725/page-2#post-15483623

Remember, if you can 100% pledge a FULL setup (wii, crt tv), you get your venue fee waived, so let me know. I want to have AT LEAST 4 setups, hopefully more. I can run on the goodwill if I have to!

Also, who is interested in playing doubles? I don't want to waste anyone's time with a doubles bracket no one will play in, because then their ends up being empty time in the schedule. As of right now I'm making the schedule to include only singles.

EDIT: Please let me know ASAP if you can come and bring a setup!!!

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Summer monthlies have been cancelled due to Pitt being ridiculous with their summer scheduling. They want us to pay a ludicrous sum just to have the building open on weekends. Stay tuned to this post though for more information if we do indeed secure a different venue, but may is out of the question for sure. WIZE and I still need to discuss having weekly/bi-weekly brawl gatherings as well.

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
I'm back from Europe so we can get this underway. I'm willing to host something weekly at my house (South Oakland on Atwood St., across from the Mad Mex). My roommates are willing as long as everyone is respectful, and I don't really foresee any problems.

I only have one setup. If people are willing to bring more, we could probably fit 2 more CRTs with seating for at least 1v1s in my living room, possibly 3 depending on the size of the TVs. We could use the kitchen too, which would fit at least 1. I don't think we would need more setups than that, given the number of people interested. We have plenty of chairs and 2 couches so seating isn't a problem.

Bottom line: we could use at least 3 more setups, at most 5. What we'll need will just depend on who can make it.

We also have a 55' HDTV with component cables, which is fun to play Mario Kart on (we only have DD but I'd prefer Wii if someone brings it) if anyone is interested in mixing it up. The lag is noticeable but small. I actually prefer the big HD screen for Kart because you can see the road/items better, which is much more important than being frame perfect imo.

As far as scheduling, my work schedule is infinitely flexible as long as I know in advance so we can do whatever works for other people. I assume that most people would prefer a weekend day, but we'll see.

Parking is free on my street for 1 or 2 hours (I forget which). The Pitt police give out more tickets in the summer for lack of anything better to do, but I've never known someone to be ticketed for temporary (i.e. not overnight) parking.

TL;DR: I'm willing to host Brawl weeklies in South Oakland. Post what weekdays work for you and whether or not you can bring a setup(s).

Scrambles_Prime

Smash Rookie
Man, I'd love to get in on this. But I live out in Monroeville and have no way of getting there on my own. Unless someone would be willing to come way out here, I'm outta luck.

lami

Smash Journeyman
Any word on if theres a July tournament? Just saw this thread and I definitely wanna come. I can bring everything but a CRT TV as I don't even own one.

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
Nobody responded to my previous post but I'd love to even just get a few people together to play friendlies and maybe hit up a tournament in Ohio or something

Zerudahime

Smash Apprentice
why are there no project M tourneys in pittsburgh?...
Im sick of travelling to maryland to play all of the time.
step it up pgh.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Oh, we'll be there. I'm hyped out of my mind for this right now. Do you need any streaming equipment? I work at Best Buy and can provide wealths of webcams, as well as a gaming laptop capable of streaming in 720p/60fps no problems with an HD PVR in tow. I also have a dinky composite projector we can try to rig up as well if you want to try

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
...unfortunately this is one of those composite video only projectors, so theres no plug in for a PC. But it would be great for broadcasting the game. Any TV with am A/V should be good. Don't want to use a splitter since it could lag. I can get some graphics made up for the stream as well if you want.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
I have a Bigfoot Networks card in my laptop so I'll see if I can steal enough bandwith from the surrounding area hahaha I'm bringing a setup anyway so it's no problem for me to bring my crate o' streaming stuff as well.

Top Bottom