• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pits Approach Game Option

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
When I mean stronger players, I'm talking about actual competitive smashers that really know what they are doing, along with really quick reaction time. For example, I played against a friend of mine who mains Sheik, he was alright with Sheik. Nothing special, easy to read and that sort of thing. Then when I played against a competive player (won't give out his name), who used Sheik on me, it was a completely different story. Often times, I struggle to get good follow ups and trying to figure out whats the safest option on when to weave in and out of situations.

Pit has been one of the character I've been using, since day one and I would love to get really good with him and get to where players, like Will, Nairo, Chibo, etc. are at (in terms of skill level). My biggest concern with him is his approaching moves. How do I effectively approach with Pit against characters that have projectiles, and characters that have good close range combat skills (Ike and Little Mac). I tried arrows, but they don't do you any good for the most part when your opponent gets too close, and they rarely hit when your opponent is far enough to block it, or dodge it.

It seems like whenever I'm in the air against good players, I get shield grabbed every time. Any suggestions on what aerials I should use as I'm landing, or how I can possibly mix up my landings?

Is it just quick reaction that I'm lacking, or could it be something else?

I'll post a Pit gameplay video, so you guys can critique exactly where I'm lacking.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't really have much to say...

Me, I like approaching with grabs for Dthrow combos. DA is quick, and occasionally a jumping arrow for variety. I'd probably go in with Fair alot more if I had a C-stick.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
you can try mixing up down throw with pit with d air spike if you are fast enough at early percents but they can react, its good as a mix up or you can up air directly under the opponent and on the third multi hit fast fall that way you and your opponent are facing opposite directions, then re-grab. it is possible to do it with you facing the opponent but the timing is strict and harder without a c stick. Similar to Sheiks new chain grab since pit's down throw doesn't sent them to high at early percents.

Riverside J

Smash Rookie
Nair was been working well for me. Good hit box and from what I seen, it recovers very fast. Side B has been working well when fighting character with projectiles or Litttle Mac.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
I think Pit is best played adaptively from nuetral, and this applies to his approaches. Though I see two main options depending on the matchups.

1: The Shorthop game: Nair and Fair are his best autocancels and leave pit in a great postion. Nair is better to cut through smaller projectiles and to get up close for Pits grab setups or a Utilt launch while Fair has great reach and should be abuse to poke at tip while mainting your disjointed distance for follow ups on landing. Basically I'll SH Nair if I'm focused more on damage racking and SH Fair if I don't want to be as close (avoid grabs) or am fishing for a Smash/Tilt kill move.

2: The Grounded Approach: Pit's ground game is better then ever with the surprising reach of his tilts and upperdash. Once you hit that midrange a simple walk does wonders (Pits walk speed is above average) and leaves him to poke with his Ftilt/Dtilt all day and employ dash/shield grabs If they commit to anything at mid range (Like a projectile or something with startup/end lag), you should train them to expect an upperdash arm to the face, returning them to playing your very rewarding dijointed tilt range game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom