• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit vs Peach

Newtype

Smash Rookie
How do you deal with pit? I get zoned by his arrows and upperdash arm messes with my aerials because of super armor. I'm still learning peach but I'm finding this to be a very hard match up.

Hameed Ziabari

Smash Cadet
float above his arrows. if your on fd then approach with float and shield. upperdash arm is easily punishable once it ends, just dont challenge it.

this shouldnt be posted here btw. it should be in the match up thread.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm sure this'll be merged into the general matchup thread, but I'll share my thoughts here anyway for the sake of convenience.

Pit's a zoner by trade, so he wants to keep you at a distance and space you with his arrows and tilts. He's also a defensive character who'll try to optimise his hits by punishing mistakes you make. To that end, you'll want to understand what he can do and read accordingly. Pit's strengths are:

- Arrows, good for spacing and gimping off-stage; a clever Pit will throw out empty arrows to coax you into moving into a more compromising position
- Upperdash Arm, when used in moderation, can be a good KO tool and can punish unsafe landings or moves with high endlag; a popular trick is to run past the opponent and then pivot-Arm for a surprise hit
- Shorthop n-air can rack up damage quickly and is relatively safe, since it covers all sides
- F-tilt is quick and tips at the end, a strong KO tool
- D-tilt is quick and has virtually no lag
- F-air can be used for gimping, and it has a powerful Wall of Pain application is used with precision
- D-air is exceptionally fast and can spike if it sweetspots; be wary of shorthop d-air, useful for shield-poking and baiting
- Recovery is insanely good and he can recover from almost anywhere off-stage
- Multiple jumps make gimping difficult
- Good airgame, but just as balanced on the ground
- D-throw -> u-smash will rack up damage at low percents and can kill at high percents

And his weaknesses are:

- Relatively light, can be launch at high percentages with a decent smash attack or strong tilt
- Has trouble KOing certain characters, with f-smash, f-tilt, d-air, b-air, u-smash and side-b being his most common kill moves
- Most of his moves are multi-hit and are unsafe on shield, particularly f-smash, n-air, f-air and side-b
- If he whiffs his Arm, he's wide open for punishment; grab or smash at your discretion
- Not the fastest to react, he needs to read well and punish appropriately or he's a sitting duck
- Slow fall means he can be punished in the air
- Needs to stay on his toes or he can be easily punished by a well-timed jab or grab

So how do you fight Pit? Well, quite simply, you're faster than Pit. Much, much faster. Just shield or jump over the arrows, then move into his space and catch him off-guard. Arrows are only really useful from a distance and they're easy enough to dodge; be wary of air-dodging, though, as a savvy Pit will use this to coax you into air-dodging and punish it by either hitting you with another arrow or hit you during the landing lag. Arrows are dangerous in the air, too, as they can rack up damage and scupper your aerial approaches - a clever Pit will try turning back and forth to store their arrow's charge before releasing and use shorthop arrows to optimise their control and range.

On the ground and once the arrows have been dealt with, you're okay for the most part. You've got great airgame and can keep the pressure on with turnips and floating n-airs / f-airs, which can catch Pit off-guard and rack up damage easily. Pit doesn't deal well with rushdown characters or those that can get up into his personal space: with the exception of n-air, d-air, f-tilt, d-tilt, grab and maybe side-b he can't really do much with opponents that are sharing his space. He'll most likely have to retreat and regroup if that's the case, and that's where you've got to be careful. Pit loves space, it means he's got room to breathe and zone you with arrows and read your approach. You've got to be careful when approaching, then, because Pit will try to play smart and keep you at arm's length, and if you do get into his space, he'll either retreat and coax you into following or shield / dodge and punish. He's also, to quote somebody else on these boards, "born to gimp", and will use his f-air and d-air to ensure you don't get back to the stage. Take care to remember his n-air and b-air, too, both moves will come out quickly and can gimp without putting Pit in too much danger of self-destructing. His multiple jumps and superior recovery means he probably won't self-destruct or get gimped himself. So you've got to take the fight to him on the stage itself.

Fortunately, this is where Peach excels. Your jab leads well into grab and has virtually no lag, much like...well, most of your moves. This is your biggest strength in this matchup and something you need to study well. Pit can't handle rushdown fighters or lagless moves very well: you can punish him almost effortlessly for any mistakes he makes and keep a consistent stream of hurt on with jabs and tilts, then finish him off with a f-smash or f-air for good measure. Your airgame is also phenomenal, and you can use your n-air for easy aerial interception and your f-air for a powerful aerial hit. Make use of your float, too: except for his n-air, Pit will have trouble intercepting you if you're just high enough to hit him without getting hit yourself, and being able to pull back and forth to set up for a f-air or b-air is a great mindgame. Even better, float just off the ground and swoop in for a n-air or f-air, which will either intercept or KO Pit if used correctly.

You have brilliant combo potential. Some of the best combos I've ever seen have been delivered by Peach players, and you've got to know how to use 'em to best effect. Some good combos that I've seen before would include:

- Jab -> grab -> d-throw -> u-smash
- Jab -> grab -> d-throw -> f-smash
- Dash -> shorthop f-air -> shorthop f-air -> f-smash
- Floating n-air -> f-air -> f-air -> f-smash
- Floating f-air -> f-smash
- Floating b-air -> f-smash

All of these are quick and can be useful for racking up damage and KOing at high percents. They can be used tactfully to ensure Pit has trouble escaping your combos and optimal pressure is put on the divine deary~

Then there are her specials. I think the best one to use her is down-b, as turnips can be wonderful spacing tools and can be decent pressure / poke tools, too; they can also be re-used and, if you're lucky enough to pull out a Stitchface or a Bob-omb, you're in clover! Be wary of stale turnips, of course, and use them carefully and to play with Pit from a safe distance, rack up damage, intercept his combos and approaches or gimp his arrows. Side-b is decent, it can launch pretty far and can be nice if used quickly and unexpectedly, but don't rely on it: like Pit's side-b, it's best used in moderation and as a surprise launch / KO tool. Up-b isn't great for damage, but it can catch Pit off-guard and launch him into the air, though I would save this for recovery more than anything else. Toad is handy, I wouldn't rely on him at all, but if you an opening, get stuck in - the fact that you have plenty of counter frames means timing isn't a big issue, but do remember that you're vulnerable to grabs and rear attacks during this phase.

Peach is terrifying if used correctly. She's fast, has virtually no lag, great combo potential, is difficult to gimp with her float and parasol switch, has a varied toolkit, decent recovery, murders in the air and is no slouch on the ground, either. If you can use her to best effect, you've got a nice fighter on your hands. She can poke, pressure, combo and grab well, too, and Pit's gotta respect her space just as much as you respect his, or he's in for a world of hurt.

Quite bluntly, there's a vast dichotomy between an experienced Pit player and a novice Pit player. An experienced player knows how to use their wide toolkit to best effect, and they know that they have tools for just about any job; a novice player, on the other hand, is likely to just spam arrows and Upperdash Arms without prejudice. The latter is extremely easy to punish, as both his arrows and his arm require commitment and have a lot of endlag. An experienced player will wait and watch you, reading your moves and punishing accordingly; a novice player is more keen on rushing in and will probably use a lot of dashes and f-smashes. Both of these are extremely unsafe on shield, so if you can practice shield-grabbing, you'll make short work of our angelic friend. Use the tactics and tricks mentioned above to keep the pressure on him either way, and be wary of what he can do and what you can do. Optimise your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses and do the same to Pit to ensure you've got him on the ropes and triumph.

Honestly, I think this matchup is pretty heavily in Peach's favour. I've fought many Peaches and she is one of my most feared opponents. Her combo potential, airgame, wide-ranging toolkit and basic unpredictability make her a solid opponent and, for Pit, somebody he needs to be wary of and play up defensively and carefully. I'm no expert, but based on my experiences, I'd put this matchup at 70:30 in Peach's favour.

Top Bottom